price of emergency ambulance

Wendy Robinson

Hi All,

My 2 yr old son was recently taken to hospital due to him having a fit because of a high temprature, OH and myself had never experienced anything like it so we called out an emergency ambulance..We have just had the bill OMFG how i wish we hadn't put off getting medical insurance:no:

$738 to go from Quinns Rocks to Joondalup health campus.

So anybody thinking of putting off getting medical insurance DON'T because as i've learnt the hard way.

On a good note Joondalup Hospital staff were fantastic and so were the ambulance service,My son was given a teddy off the paramedic and blanket from the nurse treating my son.

Thankfully my son is back to his old self, But I am still in shock at how much ambos cost with no insurance.

Wendy xx

PS We now have health insurance.:smile:

Guest Guest31881

Hi,

I am glad to hear your son is well. These things can be very scary.

Ambulance costs vary from state to state, everyone should check what they need to insure against. In Queensland we pay a levy on our electricity bills to cover ambulance insurance. But if your in a State where you have to get your own insurance it is well worth the expense.

Hi All,

My 2 yr old son was recently taken to hospital due to him having a fit because of a high temprature, OH and myself had never experienced anything like it so we called out an emergency ambulance..We have just had the bill OMFG how i wish we hadn't put off getting medical insurance:no:

So anybody thinking of putting off getting medical insurance DON'T because as i've learnt the hard way.

On a good note Joondalup Hospital staff were fantastic and so were the ambulance service,My son was given a teddy off the paramedic and blanket from the nurse treating my son.

Thankfully my son is back to his old self, But I am still in shock at how much ambos cost with no insurance.

Wendy xx

PS We now have health insurance.:smile:

$90 a year for a family for ambo cover , i`ve been bangin on here for ages about peeps gettin this in Wa ,alls well that ends well

Guest jenjoshnat

Hi,

Glad your son is ok, and also glad you made this post, we live in Jindalee, just down the road from you, we've been living here for the last 2 years now and still have'nt sorted out medical insurance, but hearing this, i think i'll get right onto it as we have 3 kids ourselves and i suppose you never know when your going to need it do you.

Jen x

Guest juliemtaylor

Glad he is ok now.. We got ambo cover as soon as we could! $120 family membership per year in Vic!

Julie x

Hi All,

My son is fine now, I learnt the hard way that you just never know what's gonna happen as far as kids are concerned, I now bang on at my friends who don't have ambo cover to get it.

Ah well live and learn,Expensive lesson but I would pay a $million If it meant my son was well.

Wendy xx

I am so pleased that your son is ok now.

I gather that you have to pay even if the ambulance is called on your behalf. Such as a passer by seeing you have an accident etc. Well-worth getting the insurance I reckon.

As has been said, we don't need to do it here in Qld.

Sorry to hear. My sister in law who works in health care warned me some years ago, you will always get treatment in a public hospital eventually, and if no money the invoice gets lost in the system.... but get an ambulance subscription..... more important.

wow, thanks for that post, im pleased that there was no probs with your son and he is well, now i know that i will get ambulance ins, my son 1 out of 3 always seems to need an ambulance,

We r still in the uk and last summer he feel on his bike in a park with me and the 2 other boys and cut his head open, rang an ambulance, because we were all on bikes, dont really think about things until thay happen, would have cost a lot if we were in oz, vic,

thats why this site is so good, little pieces of info coming through all the time.

cheers all

Tracey

Hi All,

....But I am still in shock at how much ambos cost with no insurance.

For those settling in other location than WA, the ambulance cover options are different. In Victoria the Ambulance Service of Victoria run there own insurance scheme, see: Ambulance Victoria | Melbourne & Rural Victoria's Ambulance Service - Ambulance Victoria . In Queensland the insurance is covered if you are named on the electricity bill. Yes, I know it's bizarre, I can't see the link either! In NSW you need ambulance only private health cover.

Besides these options, most private health insurance options include emergency and non-emergency ambulance cover - BUT CHECK!! $700+ is a typical fee, in southern NSW to be flown by helicopter to a local trauma centre starts at over $100 per minute from the time the helicopter is requested!! Typically that would be in excess of $9000 for a 90 minutes turn-around, from activation to clearing having delivered you to the trauma centre, and possibly much more.

Excellent care, but not cheap!!

Guest Guest31881

In QLD, you pay a levy on the electricity bill to cover your household ($25.50 Month). It covers everyone in the house, not just the name on the bill. You can claim exemptions for pensioner, and stuff like that. :biggrin:

Archived