sydney harbour bridge

theonetruechris

Hi, got the father in law staying. He's hiring a camperan to go from melbourne through sydney up to brissie then back again, whilst he's in sydney he's going to do the bridge. anyone done it, whats the best experience as theres about different ones to choose from on the website & we can't really see which would be best. Also any other tips he'll be doing the coast road up more direct on the way back.

Guest gary12

We have just driven from Melbourne to Sydney, no other word for it than a ball ache! It's a ruddy long way! You need to go through the toll roads to get to the bridge so either apply for a pass up front or ensure you have lots of change.

To be honest we just drove the shortest/direct route staying at Albury on the way, there are lots of motorhome parks there. There is a good bakery in Goldburn to stop at (take the first turn off on the way upto Sydney). Otherwise between Melbourne and Sydney there is not alot.

Lots of people were climbing the bridge, I didn't (not that daft!!) I'm not sure that any climb would be better than the next other than to say think of the heat.

The one thing I would ensure they do is the Blue Mountains in NSW they are just stunning. That and allow plenty of time and more to get there, it is so stunning you won't want to rush it.

I am sure he will have a smashing time.

regards

Michelle

Did the bridge climb in 2008. Did it during the day and would recommend it, we did the discovery climb. Think it took 3 hours or so in total. They breathalyse you beforehand, so don't drink too much the night before!

Yup definitely do the bridge climb - it's expensive but a super experience. You are only on the bridge for about an hour, all the other shenanigans is involved in suiting you up and training you to manage the cable. I think the dawn and sunset climbs are more expensive than the run of the mill daytime ones but it really doesnt matter what time of day, you see different things at different times and it is all very impressive.

Guest guest36187

We did it in 2007 and it was an ambition of mine! FANTASTIC! We did the basic climb! Learning all the history on the way up was good and it was a great time!

Guest iselinger

It is expensive but good. However you can walk accross on the footpath for free and you can go up one of the south Pylons for a view. ($10 I think) Addmiitedly not as good as the climb but a hell of a lot cheaper.

We did the bridge climb, and it was great. There were two options at the time, I think we went for the basic one - less clambering about, but you do go to the top of the arch. Even so it wasn't cheap, but I would really recommend it to anyone that shows even the slightest flicker of desire to try.

We went for one of the earlier morning timeslots as it was December. I wouldn't have wanted to do it during the afternoon on a really hot day!

But it was an easy walk, the walkways are all fine and dandy for anyone with an adequate level of fitness.

Archived