saturation point for nurses in Perth

gareth and lisa

Hi all, was wondering if anybody was feeling the same as us. Our visa plans are not quite going to plan, although we dont want to move to Perth until Sept 2011 we have lots of stumbling blocks to overcome. But now i am wondering if adult nursing will meet saturation point as i have noticed that WA are not advertising as they were. It used to be every month that there were adverts in the RCN mag and nursing standard but i have not seen any for a while now. + i looked on Ramsay health website and there were very little positions, non infact at Joondalup where i wanted to apply to.

Does anybody feel the same or are we worrying for nothing.

Lisa & Gareth

:eek:

Guest edwardsfamily

hi there,

im a nurse going to WA and recently contacted an agency who advertise in RCN bullatin to enquire about work. I was told by the agency that WA health have massively over spent on budgets in the last few years and were making big cut backs. She said that they do still want workers but not half as many as recent years and they definately are not sponsering from over seas.

Im sure others on here who are already over in WA will be able to give you a better insight, but thats the info i had. Was told that Qld, SA etc are still needing nurses, its just WA with the problem.

I'm sure this will improve soon, so i wouldnt panic.....sounds like the NHS really!!

good luck with the IELTS, its really hard isnt it?!!

Aimie x

hi there,

im a nurse going to WA and recently contacted an agency who advertise in RCN bullatin to enquire about work. I was told by the agency that WA health have massively over spent on budgets in the last few years and were making big cut backs. She said that they do still want workers but not half as many as recent years and they definately are not sponsering from over seas.

Im sure others on here who are already over in WA will be able to give you a better insight, but thats the info i had. Was told that Qld, SA etc are still needing nurses, its just WA with the problem.

I'm sure this will improve soon, so i wouldnt panic.....sounds like the NHS really!!

good luck with the IELTS, its really hard isnt it?!!

Aimie x

Thanks for the info, like the look at SA also so may need to rethink and maybe move to WA at a later time if we feel the need too. Ielts a bugger iv never failed anything in my life and im just not getting through the reading got a 6.5, passed all the other sections with 9s & 8.5s!!! Well lets just hope all goes well.

Thanks Lisa

Guest Clairey b

Hi there,

I'm a nurse working for Ramsay in WA. There are alot fewer positions available now, compared to when i was looking 18 months ago. I was amazed when i looked on the ramsay site to see how few jobs they were advertising-especially Joondalup as usually there are loads going there!!!

Mine you, saying that i know there are loads of nurses coming over in the next couple of months from last years recruitment drive, so maybe that is why they are not currently advertising. In regards to Joondalup they are currently expanding, or just about to start, which i would imagine would release more jobs either later this year or next, so keep an eye out!

If i can help anymore just give me a shout, and best of luck with everything.

Claire xx

Guest guest17301

As far as I can make out theres no actual jobs shortage, just a funding shortage so jobs are not being advertised or 'funded', that's not the same as there being no vacancies.

Who knows when it will turn around. I think you would find though that once here you could get a job quite easily...just not in a public hospital...agency/private care homes/non-traditional 'nursing' roles, Silver Chain (community nursing), loads on Seek...depends what you're after I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Can I ask if anyone has experience of working in the private nursing homes and what they're like. Also, is community nursing a good option in AUS? Just wondering in comparison to the UK, if those were the job vacancies which were available in Perth. I'm looking at settling in Perth Aug 2011 or thereabouts. Sitting my IELTS in a few weeks then hoping to get skills assessment underway asap.

Elizabeth

Hi there,

Can I ask if anyone has experience of working in the private nursing homes and what they're like. Also, is community nursing a good option in AUS? Just wondering in comparison to the UK, if those were the job vacancies which were available in Perth. I'm looking at settling in Perth Aug 2011 or thereabouts. Sitting my IELTS in a few weeks then hoping to get skills assessment underway asap.

Elizabeth

Good luck with your ielts, i sat mine last Saturday for the 3rd time!!! eekkk!!!

Lisa:goofy:

Guest Kath Willow

Hi Lisa,

I'm a nurse in WA been here for 6 years. I had a similar problem when I was looking for sponsorship as though there were jobs available the health service were in the middle of 'restructuring' some of it's services which made getting sponsorship very difficult...I was just about tearing my hair out. Anyway, my agent phoned me one day to let me know that the WA Country Health Service were recruiting & more than willing to sponsor overseas nurses for both temporary & permanent visas. I did not particularly want to live/work in a rural setting but as I had sold my house & was getting desperate I accepted with great plans to move to the city ASAP! Needless to say 6 years later I still live in the same country town, now with a husband & child! We are less than 2 hours drive from Perth, which I do frequently. The job is a little dull most of the time but it suits me at the moment with a young family. WA country Health Service covers a huge area with some towns within an hours drive from Perth & they are always recruiting...it is an option if you just want to get here! I noticed that someone else pointed out that it is a budgeting problem not an overstaffing problem...this is so the case, & again now with the huge changes planned to the Health Service things will change. Hang in there...it's worth the wait!

Good Luck

Kath

Hi Lisa,

I'm a nurse in WA been here for 6 years. I had a similar problem when I was looking for sponsorship as though there were jobs available the health service were in the middle of 'restructuring' some of it's services which made getting sponsorship very difficult...I was just about tearing my hair out. Anyway, my agent phoned me one day to let me know that the WA Country Health Service were recruiting & more than willing to sponsor overseas nurses for both temporary & permanent visas. I did not particularly want to live/work in a rural setting but as I had sold my house & was getting desperate I accepted with great plans to move to the city ASAP! Needless to say 6 years later I still live in the same country town, now with a husband & child! We are less than 2 hours drive from Perth, which I do frequently. The job is a little dull most of the time but it suits me at the moment with a young family. WA country Health Service covers a huge area with some towns within an hours drive from Perth & they are always recruiting...it is an option if you just want to get here! I noticed that someone else pointed out that it is a budgeting problem not an overstaffing problem...this is so the case, & again now with the huge changes planned to the Health Service things will change. Hang in there...it's worth the wait!

Good Luck

Kath

Thank you Kath for your positive post, can i ask where you settled out of interest??? im looking for something with no stress, lol (probally doesn't excist in nursing) but generally better quality of life.

Lisa

Guest nevergiveup

Hi Lsa,

let me know how you go on with the Ielts. I myself have had ....lets just say a few sits..... sick of it .

Resit soon.

Off to Brizzy one day..or year ....or ever !!!!!

sorry becomig very fed up

cheers.

Hi Lsa,

let me know how you go on with the Ielts. I myself have had ....lets just say a few sits..... sick of it .

Resit soon.

Off to Brizzy one day..or year ....or ever !!!!!

sorry becomig very fed up

cheers.

Should get 3rd sit results over weekend i will let you know, probally another fail!! cant get that magic 7 in the reading.

i know how your feeling. x

Hi, am not a nurse, but last week are local paper had a massive advert for nursing jobs at a hospital in the city, it was the actual hospital that was advertising. cant remember the hospital name but im sure i have seen it mentioned on pio.

Rachael

Hi, am not a nurse, but last week are local paper had a massive advert for nursing jobs at a hospital in the city, it was the actual hospital that was advertising. cant remember the hospital name but im sure i have seen it mentioned on pio.

Rachael

Thanks for the info, maybe the Royal Perth?? there was an advert in this months RCN mag on nursing in WA so maybe iv been worrying for nothing.

thanks again Lisa

:biggrin:

Archived