going HOME

Guest tracyinsydney

Guest tracyinsydney

We are returning to the UK in less than 2 weeks, fly back on 22nd March (my birthday) and couldn't wish for a nicer present. Its true what many say about the grass not being greener. My OH has a very well paid job and we live in a lovely 5 bedroom house but thats just material things. The weather is sooo over rated, its nice at first to have lots of sun being such a novelty in the UK, but it soon gets boring being the same day in day out and being unable to enjoy a summers day like you would in the UK because it is just too hot. We also thought we had prepared ourselves pretty well when we came here but its so expensive, the only thing i've seen cheaper is petrol. I miss my family and friends but didn't think i would miss them this much or that it would make me feel so empty. I have met people here who are trapped and would like to go home for various reasons but can't its so sad. My son is unhappy and has been bullied at school since day 1, last week was the last straw when 4 lads got him on the floor and decided to kick him in the head. Having seen the effects on my brother of a brain injury i withdrew him from school that day and have reported it to the Education Department. Having said all this i'm glad we came because if we hadn't we would have always wondered "what if". I have a new appreciation for the UK and it took me coming to the other side of the planet to realise Australia have problems exactly the same as the UK. Its isn't a better standard of living not for us anyway, just different its just sunnier here.

Guest BirdB

Hi, I have just posted a 'trapped' post and was interested to hear your story. are you going back to your old town and what will you do about schools? It's my birthday on the 22nd as well what a lovely present for you. Good luck wish it were me xx

Hi Tracy

I wish you all the very best with your return to the UK. I'm sorry things haven't worked out for you, but you've tried it and you can go back knowing you gave it your best shot. I hope your son settles back into the routine at home and does not suffer any ill effects from his bullying.

Sue x

Guest tracyinsydney

Just read your post. I really do feel for you. We are going back to good old Brum and it looks like i'll be able to get my son back in his old school which is a relief. I sent them an e-mail and although they have a waiting list to get a place at the school as he had previously been a pupil they said they should be able to take him. What area are you in?

How long have you been in the country? Did the homesickness ease for you? People say it will get better, and I'm sure it does, but I just can't see me ever settling - as in settling for what I don't really want, as each day goes on I dislike Oz just that little bit more, completely relate to what your original post said; we are fiancially better off, have a lovely brand new flat, brand new furniture - but it's just money and possessions, the weather is just too hot or extreme (melbourne) too hot to enjoy or rains so hard it hurts! Nothing is cheaper - petrol may be but I can;t afford a blummin' car! and there is so little choicce out here! God I miss England! It is so nice to read some posts from peopple who feelt he same as me!

How long have you been in the country? Did the homesickness ease for you? People say it will get better, and I'm sure it does, but I just can't see me ever settling - as in settling for what I don't really want, as each day goes on I dislike Oz just that little bit more, completely relate to what your original post said; we are fiancially better off, have a lovely brand new flat, brand new furniture - but it's just money and possessions, the weather is just too hot or extreme (melbourne) too hot to enjoy or rains so hard it hurts! Nothing is cheaper - petrol may be but I can;t afford a blummin' car! and there is so little choicce out here! God I miss England! It is so nice to read some posts from peopple who feelt he same as me!

same here. I am not prepared to make an effort for somewhere I no longer want to be. Every day I also hate this place that tiny bit more. For that reason it will NEVER work, but find myself trapped here anyways.

Best of luck to you Tracy, wish it was me going back too! We are here until my hubby finds a job back in the UK as we can't afford to go back until he does, so am feeling a faint glimmer of happiness now and again that we are going back but getting down about the fact I don't know when, the kids having a year out of UK schools probs isn't going to harm them, not sure if they have 2 years out tho.

Your son getting bullied would have made everything horribly worse for you, I really feel for you on that one. My eldest lad at high school is getting jibes and fun poked at him for his accent now and again, hopefully it will die down and not go the other way.

same here. I am not prepared to make an effort for somewhere I no longer want to be. Every day I also hate this place that tiny bit more. For that reason it will NEVER work, but find myself trapped here anyways.

Trapped is definately the word!!!!!!!

Trapped is definately the word!!!!!!!

Been in Australia 6 years, lived in constant limbo, fly home in less than 2 weeks, been all over Australia lived in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane for extended periods. Many people settle many go home and many cant. No reason to feel trapped if its not working, plan an exit strategy and work towards it, lifes to short to be unhappy in a place you dont wont to be atb.:biggrin:

For those of you headed for Brum, am sitting in services on the m42 and have already had 2 spontaneous chats with people coffeeing here (and I am not normally outgoing!) I am gulping a bit at the price of petrol and I need to refill the tank. In just over 3 hrs since leaving cornwall this morning the variety has been awesome. Good luck for leaving the trap and relishing life again!

For those of you headed for Brum, am sitting in services on the m42 and have already had 2 spontaneous chats with people coffeeing here (and I am not normally outgoing!) I am gulping a bit at the price of petrol and I need to refill the tank. In just over 3 hrs since leaving cornwall this morning the variety has been awesome. Good luck for leaving the trap and relishing life again!

Quoll , read my post about my 4 HOUR Wales trip end to end .....not a motorway in site ......YA GOTTA DO IT !

So you have noticed , people will talk to you about anything .......weather .....eastenders........anything at all .

It beats all that " have a nice day " with nothing else to follow .

As i have stated in previous posts ,most of the people here have got " sod all" .

No big house ,no big car .......but they have got depth .

" come in love , i will just put the kettle on ".

No pretention ......no bulls.it !

Guest chris955

People talk to you ? :elvis: You haven't been stabbed yet ? You're making this up aren't you ? :laugh:

So you have noticed , people will talk to you about anything .......weather .....eastenders........anything at all .

It beats all that " have a nice day " with nothing else to follow .

As i have stated in previous posts ,most of the people here have got " sod all" .

No big house ,no big car .......but they have got depth .

" come in love , i will just put the kettle on ".

No pretention ......no bulls.it !

You're kidding aren't you??? Don't know where you hang out but the people in and around the suburbs of Adelaide are amongst the friendliest I have ever met. We talk to new people almost every day whilst out walking. My mum, who has had 4 long holidays here, has as many friends here as she has back home - her Christmas card list get longer every year, lol. I haven't come across any pretentious idiots at all. Just good, honest, decent, hard-working family type people who always suggest a cuppa or a BBQ and would give you the shirt off their back if you needed it.

Kazza

People talk to you ? :elvis: You haven't been stabbed yet ? You're making this up aren't you ? :laugh:

Yup, made it all the way back from Newquay to Cambridge (and Cambridge to Newquay of course, and to North Yorkshire and Durham and London and Dorset and Somerset and Suffolk and Norfolk) and not stabbed at all yet. Had lots of amusing chats with sundry people in various situations. Maybe I am not in UK at all:biglaugh:

Quoll , read my post about my 4 HOUR Wales trip end to end .....not a motorway in site ......YA GOTTA DO IT !

Did that one a few years ago (from Dylan Thomas' place up through the land of my husband's fathers (Pembrokeshire) and then Harlech and eventually Anglesey - and it was superb but I was in a bit more of a rush today unfortunately otherwise I would have done the more leisurely scenic route.

Quoll

You sound elated to be back in the land of the living!..Can't say i blame you! Enjoy, i bet they carry you kicking and screaming back onto that plane!

Guest tracyinsydney

You don't need to look far to find pretentious idiots if you go to Sydney - its the most superficial place i've ever been to

Guest woody2308

Wow, i have to say this is all interesting to read.We have been here a little over a year(Australia Day),and i am going through the motions of not actually being able to figure out what i have here i didnt have in UK apart from Sunshine?

My brither and his family have lived here a little over 9yrs (from south africa)and she has always said this is the land of milk and honey!Well i have to say i dont really see where she is coming from at all!It really is hard being away from all your friends and the lifestyle your used to for such a long time!

Have a good trip back to the UK and i hope it all works out for you guys!(by the way my birthday is the day before yours!) :)

Guest raddy

Jeez,,well if you dont settle you dont settle!! I have every reason to hate oz but there is just something about it that keeps me here,, my wife and i moved to brizzy from cairns,, she then left me for the bloke she had already met back there!! After cleaning out the bank acount!! Ive siince settled on the gold coast and met a nice kiwi girl and things are looking up!! Apart from loosing me job last friday,, lol,, and all in the space of 18 months,,i had 3 houses in the uk and my own buisness so its not like i have a beter life money wise peace neil

Been in Australia 6 years, lived in constant limbo, fly home in less than 2 weeks, been all over Australia lived in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane for extended periods. Many people settle many go home and many cant. No reason to feel trapped if its not working, plan an exit strategy and work towards it, lifes to short to be unhappy in a place you dont wont to be atb.:biggrin:

I know, I am planning an exit strategy as I type ! I am trying to do this as constructively as I can without just appearing to throw in the towel and go back to London... to nothing. That's the 'trapped' part of it I am afraid ! Trying to find a job is hard enough as it is, without even being in the same country! I live in hope that someday my old job there would have a vacancy again as I am sure they would have me back... even if just to save their advertising costs!!!!! It is this hope that keeps me ticking over day after day. At least I know there is more chance of that than winning the lottery! Hope is a funny thing when you are desperate.

I know, I am planning an exit strategy as I type ! I am trying to do this as constructively as I can without just appearing to throw in the towel and go back to London... to nothing. That's the 'trapped' part of it I am afraid ! Trying to find a job is hard enough as it is, without even being in the same country! I live in hope that someday my old job there would have a vacancy again as I am sure they would have me back... even if just to save their advertising costs!!!!! It is this hope that keeps me ticking over day after day. At least I know there is more chance of that than winning the lottery! Hope is a funny thing when you are desperate.

Understand all that, no doubt you will find a position with persistance, fear is a powerfull force and stops us doing many things in life but its (FALSE EXPECTATIONS APPEARING REAL), I would contact your old employer asap and ask, ask, ask you will get what you want eventually. Understand about the job hunting as we move back without employment, but will not let this deter us from our ultimate path to settling back in the UK. I hope you find a way to get what you want atb.:biggrin:

Guest sk1nny
You don't need to look far to find pretentious idiots if you go to Sydney - its the most superficial place i've ever been to

But not me...right... Tracey!!

Archived