Motor Mechanic Jobs Perth??

Guest InterestedinOz

Guest InterestedinOz

Hi All,

My o/h is a main dealer Mechanic with 10+ year experience and qualifications to match - can anyone tell me what the job market for mechanics is like in Perth or WA generally - we are currently looking for an agent to start the Independant Skilled Visa process but are slightly worried about the changes to the skilled occupations list and whether his trade will still be included on this.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated! :biggrin:

Lisa

Guest leedslass

Hi Lisa

My o/h is a mechanic we have been in WA for around 10 months, he stuggled for a few months to get interviews (lost of jobs out there) then had a break through got one, then 3 in the same week!! He took a job as a pump tech in end working for a mining company but even now there seems to be plenty of mechanic roles out there, especially with main dealer experience I reckon it would be no probs! We came on the back of his qualifications on a skilled 175 visa

Guest InterestedinOz
Hi Lisa

My o/h is a mechanic we have been in WA for around 10 months, he stuggled for a few months to get interviews (lost of jobs out there) then had a break through got one, then 3 in the same week!! He took a job as a pump tech in end working for a mining company but even now there seems to be plenty of mechanic roles out there, especially with main dealer experience I reckon it would be no probs! We came on the back of his qualifications on a skilled 175 visa

Thats great - gives me a bit more confidence as we've had mixed info! I guess you just have to be pro-active about it. Can I ask how your o/h found the skills assessment? Mine is worrying about it so much! is it really difficult or more like a general test of skills they use day to day?

Thanks for your help! :spinny:

Lisa

Guest sal 222

Dear Client,

We have received an email from Tony Mooney regarding possible employer

sponsorships for people in the UK.

Apparently there are some vacancies in the following fields of

employment:

1. Diesel Fuel Injection Technician, location Mackay Qld, and

Adelaide must have bosch test bench experience and able to work on a

range of diesel applications including trucks

2. Stone Masons, Adelaide must have experience working with Granite

and man made stone to make kitchen bench tops and other products.

3. VW Mechanic Sydney must have formal VAG training able to service

and fix VAG vehicles

4. 2nd fix Carpenters , Adelaide must have experience with office

fit outs and able to gyproc and construct metal framed walls a to a high

standard

5. Panel Beater Adelaide, must have crash repair experience and

work to a high standard

Mr Mooney also has positions in South Australia for:

4 plumbers for one company

a workshop supervisor and 4 diesel fitters to work in a

commercial vehicle workshop

crash repairers and spray painters

12 carpenters

2 stonemasons to manufacture granite worktops

If you are interested, please complete the attached CV proforma and

email it back to me. I will then forward it to Mr Mooney on your behalf.

If you are lucky enough to secure a possible sponsorship, please contact

us immediately so that we can advise on any ramifications it may have

for your current visa application.

Regards,

Diane Harrop

(For Ian Harrop Registered Migration Agent 9688 135)

Ausmig Ltd, trading as Ian Harrop & Associates

Registered in England & Wales 3130616

Registered office: The Old Brewery, Priory Lane, Burford, OX18 4SG

Disclaimer

If you receive this email by mistake, please notify us. Please note that

no use can be made of this email.

We do not waive any previlege, confidentiality or copyright associated

with it.

Please note we have a policy of not downloading work documents (as they

can carry viruses).

Please send any attachments as Rich Text Format (.rtf) documents. You

can convert a Word Document to RTF by changing the File type in the Save

dialog box when saving your document.

Please consider the environment and don't print this email unless you

really need to.

My agent sent this out today ...if it helps anyone...spread the word ..best wishes, sal

Guest Weemac

Drove past at least 2 signs today with "Mechanics Wanted" here in little Geraldton...the jobs are out there that's for sure!

Guest Weemac

They have thier wee hut up the back of the industrial estate....hardly notice them...personally I love it up here..traffic jams on the M4 are a thing of the past..now I avoid Perth traffic if I can...6 cars at a set of lights here annoy me now!

my hubby is a mobile mechanic here in mandurah. havernt found a problem with work ,but lots of people suggest going in the mines they are always after people.

if need any advise just email us , we will try to help .

we have been here over a year now and just settling in.we met a guy and his wife off here the other week and showed them around the area and gave them abit of advise about starting up etc .

Guest TheHollies
my hubby is a mobile mechanic here in mandurah. havernt found a problem with work ,but lots of people suggest going in the mines they are always after people.

if need any advise just email us , we will try to help .

we have been here over a year now and just settling in.we met a guy and his wife off here the other week and showed them around the area and gave them abit of advise about starting up etc .

Hi Megmor, we are moving over this October, looking at settling around the Secret Harbour/Mandurah areas, my hubby currently works for the AA here but wants to get back into a dealership, weve seen there are quite a few dealerships around the Mandurah area, have you seen many adverts recently for Service Advisors/Mechanics for these places?, we have started sending cv's off but havnt heard much back as yet.

Guest TheHollies

Many thanks for your message, we have applied to the RAC, will have a look at the AA.

Thanks again

Kirsty

:wubclub:

They have thier wee hut up the back of the industrial estate....hardly notice them...personally I love it up here..traffic jams on the M4 are a thing of the past..now I avoid Perth traffic if I can...6 cars at a set of lights here annoy me now!

Hey there Weemac..

Nothing to do with mechanic thread but just wanna know if you could give a few ideas if there are any good fishing spots in or around geraldton... we are coming up there over easter weekend for a break to drummond cove.... then moving onto to mount magnet.... anything spectacular we should make a point of visiting,.,,,,:biggrin:

Guest Weemac
Hey there Weemac..

Nothing to do with mechanic thread but just wanna know if you could give a few ideas if there are any good fishing spots in or around geraldton... we are coming up there over easter weekend for a break to drummond cove.... then moving onto to mount magnet.... anything spectacular we should make a point of visiting,.,,,,:biggrin:

Hi there...just saw this...some good fishing around here...just up from Drummonds you will find a nice spot at the reef there...good snorkling too..I often fish on the South side of Gero at the Greenough river mouth, both in the river and into the ocean...Bait is usually cheapest here at Rangers which you will drive past on the way to Drummonds (you will see Supercheap & Repco from the NWC Highway)...Hope you are coming up with a fourby...if so and it is a capable one the Southgates beach is good for a play especially for quads etc, and you can easily throw in a rod from the beach there too.

Enjoy, Mac.

Guest Weemac
Many thanks for your message, we have applied to the RAC, will have a look at the AA.

Thanks again

Kirsty

Hi folks, The RAC over here are always looking for decent blokes, I have been asked a a couple of times to apply (ex-RAC UK), but I am tied to a sponsor for the moment. What a previous poster said about face-to-face is true, once you get over here you will get more feedback/replies...just be prepared that many will say that they will call you back and don't...doesn't mean they don't want you...they just seem to be pathetic at getting back to people here...for anything!!

Example, I went into a Work uniform place to get 5 guys uniforms for work..5 shirts each, 5 pairs of trousers and 5 pairs of work shoes, asked for a quote to be sent..5 days later nothing, I even phoned them...still no reply....this has been a recurring theme since I landed here...The moral of the story is...Keep revisiting these people.

Good Luck, Mac

Hi there...just saw this...some good fishing around here...just up from Drummonds you will find a nice spot at the reef there...good snorkling too..I often fish on the South side of Gero at the Greenough river mouth, both in the river and into the ocean...Bait is usually cheapest here at Rangers which you will drive past on the way to Drummonds (you will see Supercheap & Repco from the NWC Highway)...Hope you are coming up with a fourby...if so and it is a capable one the Southgates beach is good for a play especially for quads etc, and you can easily throw in a rod from the beach there too.

Enjoy, Mac.

Thanks for replying Mac..... will getting out of perth tomorrow... wooohhhhooo.... got a fourby... well hubby has......he likes to play on the dunes and stuff at Cervantes etc...:eek:

Guest TheHollies
Hi folks, The RAC over here are always looking for decent blokes, I have been asked a a couple of times to apply (ex-RAC UK), but I am tied to a sponsor for the moment. What a previous poster said about face-to-face is true, once you get over here you will get more feedback/replies...just be prepared that many will say that they will call you back and don't...doesn't mean they don't want you...they just seem to be pathetic at getting back to people here...for anything!!

Example, I went into a Work uniform place to get 5 guys uniforms for work..5 shirts each, 5 pairs of trousers and 5 pairs of work shoes, asked for a quote to be sent..5 days later nothing, I even phoned them...still no reply....this has been a recurring theme since I landed here...The moral of the story is...Keep revisiting these people.

Good Luck, Mac

Thanks for your reply Mac, Its a scary thought to just come over without sorting work out first but it seems thats going to be what we end up doing, looks like theres plenty of work so fingers crossed it wouldnt take long to sort something. Think the 'Wait Awhile' attitude and how people dont get back in touch for things is going to take some getting used to, lol!

Ive read that other tradesmen have to have a licence to work in Oz, do mechanics need a licence or anything?

Thanks again

Kirsty

:smile:

Guest ozzysteve
Thanks for your reply Mac, Its a scary thought to just come over without sorting work out first but it seems thats going to be what we end up doing, looks like theres plenty of work so fingers crossed it wouldnt take long to sort something. Think the 'Wait Awhile' attitude and how people dont get back in touch for things is going to take some getting used to, lol!

Ive read that other tradesmen have to have a licence to work in Oz, do mechanics need a licence or anything?

Thanks again

Kirsty

Hi, I take it that you have done the Vetasses test, that would give you the Aussie equalivent to our motor trade qualification. You have to do a license for working on Air-con systems on cars . As this is law in Austraila, and now becoming in the UK.

Hope this helps

Steve

Guest TheHollies
Hi, I take it that you have done the Vetasses test, that would give you the Aussie equalivent to our motor trade qualification. You have to do a license for working on Air-con systems on cars . As this is law in Austraila, and now becoming in the UK.

Hope this helps

Steve

Thanks Steve, Ian has passed the Vetassess, we just wasnt sure if there was going to be any extra licences etc to sort once we get to Oz (apart from the air-con you have mentioned).

Thanks again for your help

• 1 month later...
Guest ClaireT

Hi thehollies

I am new to this site and just though I would send you a message because we too are looking to move to Secret Harbour/Mandurah area. We applied for 175 visa on Jan 09 then changed to SS for WA Feb 10. Was just wondering if your hubby has received any replies from CV'S. My hubby also works for the AA and is hoping to get back to working within a dealership..

I managed to find work as a Mechanic this week, had two offers on the same morning, within minutes.From Automasters and an independent, which i opted for.

There is work out there, check the West Australian newspaper on the Wed if you are not already.

What i did is go through the yellow pages, note down the email and head office numbers of the major players and get in touch.Thats how i got my offers ok.

To work as a mechanic you'll need your repairers cert(you end up with a small plastic ID card). Like me if you don't have one, im told no one will employ you, but any prospective employer will put you through the test(paperwork im told).

Call in at any garage you pass and ask, even if its in the same chain(Automasters/Autobahn.Ultra tune etc.).

Automasters im told are already licensed to sponsor, and so are other big players over here.

Good luck to you....there is a shortage of Mechanics out here im told, don't be put off by the number of garages out here(literally on every corner!!).

Guest TheHollies
I managed to find work as a Mechanic this week, had two offers on the same morning, within minutes.From Automasters and an independent, which i opted for.

There is work out there, check the West Australian newspaper on the Wed if you are not already.

What i did is go through the yellow pages, note down the email and head office numbers of the major players and get in touch.Thats how i got my offers ok.

To work as a mechanic you'll need your repairers cert(you end up with a small plastic ID card). Like me if you don't have one, im told no one will employ you, but any prospective employer will put you through the test(paperwork im told).

Call in at any garage you pass and ask, even if its in the same chain(Automasters/Autobahn.Ultra tune etc.).

Automasters im told are already licensed to sponsor, and so are other big players over here.

Good luck to you....there is a shortage of Mechanics out here im told, don't be put off by the number of garages out here(literally on every corner!!).

Thanks for the info mrfordy, have you recently arrived in Perth?? weve emailed a few dealerships but havnt had any response as yet, hubby would like to get into a service advisor role instead of mechanic. how do you go about getting the repairer certificate? not heard of this as we have been told that as long as vetassess has been passed then thats all that is needed?

Guest TheHollies
Hi thehollies

I am new to this site and just though I would send you a message because we too are looking to move to Secret Harbour/Mandurah area. We applied for 175 visa on Jan 09 then changed to SS for WA Feb 10. Was just wondering if your hubby has received any replies from CV'S. My hubby also works for the AA and is hoping to get back to working within a dealership..

Hi Claire

Welcome to PIO! we havnt had much luck as yet, only started sending cv's off this week, think it maybe abit too early to start applying (we are flying over in October), other people have said that they didnt start getting job offers until 1-2 months before arrival. Are you doing the application yourselves or with an agent? you could always try sending some emails to dealerships asking if they would consider you once you have your visas?

Good luck!!

Guest TheHollies
If its of any use ill post any phone numbers/email addresses within this thread if i see any vacancies advertised this week in the Perth papers.

thanks mrfordy, thats really kind of you

Archived