Onshore Partner Visa Application time frame

Guest skiingbadger

It is truly is so annoying! Thanks Robfromdublin, really pleased for you that your wait is over. Hmm I wonder why they've asked you to resubmit those documents and wonder why they've asked me to submit a UK police clearance, when I have already submitted it?! Ahh who knows eh!

I wonder why they lose our documents.... I hope if it's lost it better be shredded..

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's right, the person I know had no qualification, came from high risk country, lack of English and no job.. and she scored a TR in 10 months by giving birth to a baby. Where as someone like my partner.. CPA accountant, paid 12k tax to government last financial year, got a property and from the UK.. and its beyond 15 months...

why why Australia????

Easy answer...earnings, education, occupation, savings, etc are all irrelevant when assessing the genuineness your realationship. Your relationship is the key to the Spouse Visa.

I am educated to postgraduate level, have 10+ senior years experience in IT, had a six figure sum of cash behind me...my wife is a senior nurse in charge of a 250 bed hospital in Brisbane. And I am assessed in exactly the same way as someone who has no education, no occupation, little or finances, and is sponsored by someone in the same situation as them. And I think that's fair! I am only entering Australia on the basis of my relationship with my wife, not the basis of my skills, so to differentiate between me and someone else because of my occupation, education, etc is wrong. And I don't think DIAC do differentiate on this basis for this visa, so try and let go of your frustration. It doesn't help you...I felt the same way waiting on 309...but it will all come good eventually, you just need to be patient. If you were applying fro a skilled visa and someone without the relevant skills was given a skilled visa before you, then you could legitimately feel aggrieved, but you are applying for a spouse visa, and someone's occupation and qualifications don't make them any less married than you.

When your application fell into the DIAC Random Processing Time Allocation Machine it popped out with a longer timeline than someone else. That's all. It's nothing personal, honestly.

Easy answer...earnings, education, occupation, savings, etc are all irrelevant when assessing the genuineness your realationship. Your relationship is the key to the Spouse Visa.

I am educated to postgraduate level, have 10+ senior years experience in IT, had a six figure sum of cash behind me...my wife is a senior nurse in charge of a 250 bed hospital in Brisbane. And I am assessed in exactly the same way as someone who has no education, no occupation, little or finances, and is sponsored by someone in the same situation as them. And I think that's fair! I am only entering Australia on the basis of my relationship with my wife, not the basis of my skills, so to differentiate between me and someone else because of my occupation, education, etc is wrong. And I don't think DIAC do differentiate on this basis for this visa, so try and let go of your frustration. It doesn't help you...I felt the same way waiting on 309...but it will all come good eventually, you just need to be patient. If you were applying fro a skilled visa and someone without the relevant skills was given a skilled visa before you, then you could legitimately feel aggrieved, but you are applying for a spouse visa, and someone's occupation and qualifications don't make them any less married than you.

When your application fell into the DIAC Random Processing Time Allocation Machine it popped out with a longer timeline than someone else. That's all. It's nothing personal, honestly.

Hi George D,

I agree that the application should not be judged on your profession, skills or finances. However, the total lack of contact, the continually changing decision time, misinformation from staff at the immigration centre, loss of documentation and the differences in further information being requested is what causes frustration. I for example was asked to submit an Aus Federal Police check, more expense, whilst RobfromDublin was not. If I was paying nearly $4000 for any other service and received this kind of treatment I would be looking to complain. This is a service that taxpayers are paying for and it should be better.

Hi George D,

I agree that the application should not be judged on your profession, skills or finances. However, the total lack of contact, the continually changing decision time, misinformation from staff at the immigration centre, loss of documentation and the differences in further information being requested is what causes frustration. I for example was asked to submit an Aus Federal Police check, more expense, whilst RobfromDublin was not. If I was paying nearly $4000 for any other service and received this kind of treatment I would be looking to complain. This is a service that taxpayers are paying for and it should be better.

Totally agree...and they don't single people out for good service and others for bad, for any reason...they try to give everyone the same level of service (and frustration!) For some it works quickly and smoothly. For others it doesn't. No reason for it!

Well its definitely based on genuineness, but I know acquaintances that would risk having a baby with someone 20 years their senior for a visa and would divorce after their permanency has been granted. I know it's definitely hard for immigration to assess that but it doesn't mean that having a baby with score you a PR faster than someone that doesn't have a baby. And this person I know met her partner in April 2011, applied for visa in June 2011, got TR in April 2012. And I've been with my partner before 2011 and still no good news.

Totally agree...and they don't single people out for good service and others for bad, for any reason...they try to give everyone the same level of service (and frustration!) For some it works quickly and smoothly. For others it doesn't. No reason for it!

But thats exactly my point, they don't give everyone the same level of service, why is one person asked to submit a Federal Police Check and one not? I totally understand they have to be thorough, but its the incompetence which is unacceptable. Why are they asking me to submit my UK check when I have already included it. They said they requested this 5 weeks ago in an email, which I did not receive. Thats what drives me mad!

Well its definitely based on genuineness, but I know acquaintances that would risk having a baby with someone 20 years their senior for a visa and would divorce after their permanency has been granted. I know it's definitely hard for immigration to assess that but it doesn't mean that having a baby with score you a PR faster than someone that doesn't have a baby. And this person I know met her partner in April 2011, applied for visa in June 2011, got TR in April 2012. And I've been with my partner before 2011 and still no good news.

You're right, having a baby doesn't speed up the application at all. It might make an otherwise false relationship look a lot more genuine, but it should still have no imact on timescales. There are plenty of people who have been here who can confirm that having children makes no difference...even those who can't work but are onshore applicants can apply for a waiver of the no work condition, which allows them to work and support their family, but doesn't give them even TR until the time comes and they are finally approved in the usual timescales.

It doesn't help if you focus on people being processed faster than you...their applications aren't your application. I'm in exaclty the same situation...I know someone personally who has applied for their 2nd stage spouse visa after me and already been approved. i have been waiting 4.5 months, and DIAC have told me it will take 8-9 months. That person just got theirs quicker than me. There's nothing else going on.

The biggest mistake I made early on was trying to understand and rationalise the whole visa approval process. It is what it is unfortunately.

But thats exactly my point, they don't give everyone the same level of service, why is one person asked to submit a Federal Police Check and one not? I totally understand they have to be thorough, but its the incompetence which is unacceptable. Why are they asking me to submit my UK check when I have already included it. They said they requested this 5 weeks ago in an email, which I did not receive. Thats what drives me mad!

I agree there is sometimes seemingly no consistency. It probably varies netween CO to CO, and from processing centre to processing centre. It shouldn't but that's the human factor and the overhead of Red tape which happens everywhere in the world! I'm, not saying it's right, but it's the reality of the situation. You could try complaining...but clearly I'd wait until after you have your visa!

You are exactly right, there is no point trying to rationalise the situation! I guess the waiting makes me rather anxious! You sound like my husband..his favourite saying is "it is what it is!" Just makes for an even bigger party when it does finally come through.

I was in exactly the same situation as you, albeit I was an offshore 309 applicant.

I had a CO who ignored every single email I sent her. I had to send a letter by recorded delivery to ask her to confirm she had received the info I had emailed her. She had asked for additional evidence, which I sent, but she had not acknowledged receipt...I had a deadline in which to send it, so as the deadline approached, I sent her it several times over, each time asking for a reply to confirm receipt. I then sent an email saying I would have to post it all from Oz (where I was on holiday) as I had no acknowledgement they had received my email...still no reply, so I sent my letter, got a signature at AH in London, and in my letter I detailed the 4 or 5 dates and times I had emailed without reply or acknowledgement and asked that they confirm to me by email that they had received the info that they had requested of me, and that I had complied with whatever regulation meant I had to reply in 42 days...and later that day I got an email from my CO simply saying "I confirm receipt of the requested information." Trust me, I know all about the frustration and the mind altering effects of a visa application! Looking back on it...I probably met all the requirements when my CO looked through the additional evidence and she didn't bother contacting me because she didn't need me for anything. Manners, pleasantries, etc are not required by law, and COs are no doubt underpaid, overworked and given no thanks. When you put all that togetehr, trying to make sense of it all probably isn't going to get you anywhere!

Guest jeff and katie
I was in exactly the same situation as you, albeit I was an offshore 309 applicant.

I had a CO who ignored every single email I sent her. I had to send a letter by recorded delivery to ask her to confirm she had received the info I had emailed her. She had asked for additional evidence, which I sent, but she had not acknowledged receipt...I had a deadline in which to send it, so as the deadline approached, I sent her it several times over, each time asking for a reply to confirm receipt. I then sent an email saying I would have to post it all from Oz (where I was on holiday) as I had no acknowledgement they had received my email...still no reply, so I sent my letter, got a signature at AH in London, and in my letter I detailed the 4 or 5 dates and times I had emailed without reply or acknowledgement and asked that they confirm to me by email that they had received the info that they had requested of me, and that I had complied with whatever regulation meant I had to reply in 42 days...and later that day I got an email from my CO simply saying "I confirm receipt of the requested information." Trust me, I know all about the frustration and the mind altering effects of a visa application! Looking back on it...I probably met all the requirements when my CO looked through the additional evidence and she didn't bother contacting me because she didn't need me for anything. Manners, pleasantries, etc are not required by law, and COs are no doubt underpaid, overworked and given no thanks. When you put all that togetehr, trying to make sense of it all probably isn't going to get you anywhere!

I applied for my spouse visa at the end of June this yr, sent my medical report off a week after applying, rang after 2 months to get conformation of the receiving it and they asked me for a form 80, I sent that off straight away and today got conformation that I am now a permanent resident.

after reading all the horror stories on here about time scales etc I feared the worst but to amazement my application was accepted and granted after just under 3 months, it's crazy that some people are still waiting for there visa after 12/14 months , I guess it's a lottery and I am one of the fortunate ones.

good luck to everyone that is still waiting.

now the fun begins!hunting jeffhunting jeff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Ger - From my own experience, I lodged a decision ready 820/801 onshore partner visa in April and it was approved in 3 weeks. It was a straightforward application, no unusual circumstances, marriage (not de facto), and everything in the application package was 100% accurate and complete. That being said, I just read a DIAC notification to agents that the onshore partner queue has, over the last 4 months, become significantly backlogged and that processing times of 13 months are now typical. Even those lodged as "Assessment Ready" (a version of Decision Ready that the Partner Visa processing unit refers to) are experiencing significant delays. I expect this is due in part to people turning to partner applications who can no longer directly lodge Skilled Visa application (175, 176) and others who are negatively affected by the 1 July changes including the significant increase in English requirements for RSMS direct entry.

Also, good choice to front load the application - we've definitely found that front loading an application - ie, submitting medical reports, police reports and Form 80 with the initial application rather than waiting for DIAC to ask for them, can help a partner or prospective marriage application get through significantly more quickly. If the checklist says "Form 80, if the department requests it", always submit it with the application anyway.

Front loaded my application for an onshore partner visa (820) in early April this year. 7 months later and I haven't heard anything back other than when they took the money out of my account.

Don't even have a CO that I can contact. Totally frustrating experience.

Same here... decision ready application, lodged in April in Sydney, haven't heard anything back yet...

Guest abid1977

i am applying for my wife from overseas to come and join me in Australia i need to fill form 47a there is a section "A main visa applicant" do i need to write my name there or my wife name?

another question is in part "B child's/dependent details" do i need to fill her name? i do not have any children to mention in that section.

your help would be appreciated

i am applying for my wife from overseas to come and join me in Australia i need to fill form 47a there is a section "A main visa applicant" do i need to write my name there or my wife name?

another question is in part "B child's/dependent details" do i need to fill her name? i do not have any children to mention in that section.

your help would be appreciated

Have you read the Partner Migration booklet? It explains all about the forms you need to fill out, the evidence you need to attach and so on (http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books1.htm).

About the forms, you and your wife have to fill out three forms, 40sp, 47sp and form 80. You as a sponsor have to fill out form 40sp, your wife needs to fill out form 47sp (and not you) and form 80.

Your wife will then apply for a visa at her local Australian Embassy with all the necessary documents, forms, evidence (all together)...

Hi All I recently got my PR granted and now i wanted to lodge onshore 820/801 for my partner(De facto) as i was searching for information on DIAC website.

do not send us pics and call transcript to prove relationship.

i just wanted to know what kind of Documents i need to provide?what DIAC is looking for ?

we have been living together for past 2.5 yrs on rental property so we do have lease documents, bills and a joint bank account. what else do need ?

thank you in advance.

Guest Ckelsey

Hi all, this is my first post here. First, thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences, it is comforting to know that I am not the only one!!

I am British and applied for my partner visa in Sydney on 9th July 2012, I included everything except my medical, because I was advised not to by immigration (was so annoyed because I wanted it to be 'decision ready'!), but I submitted it about a week later. So it is coming up for 5 months now, I haven't heard anything from them other than a confirmation letter. I can't believe those that have got theirs back in 1, 2, 3 months, that is SO lucky! Immigration are now saying 13 months, I really hope it doesn't take that long!! It just puts such a drain on everything.

My main concern now is my work, I am on a WHV and my 6 months comes up soon with my employer and they really want to keep me on. I have applied for an extension request (NOT a 1005 because I am not yet on a bridging visa, just used a template they have on their website) along with a letter from my employer. Immigration said it will take them two weeks to get back to me, that will be this Thursday so fingers crossed!!! Has anyone else applied for this? I REALLY hope it gets approved because I need to pay rent!! I don't know why immigration would decline it, surely its better that I work / pay tax?!

Thanks everyone!

I can't believe those that have got theirs back in 1, 2, 3 months, that is SO lucky!

Some of the quick ones may have already been in the system. My 820 took only two weeks and my 801 (got it last week) took four weeks. But prior to that I had a 300 Prospective Marriage visa and that was a longer and bumpier ride. I'm guessing that without the 300, the 820 would have taken much longer.

Archived