Tasmania: Maybe nice to place some pictures that appeal to you here!

Guest siamsusie

Guest siamsusie

Thank you Geoff, the mining aspects always interest me. Did you experience any spooks in that old house?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you Geoff, the mining aspects always interest me. Did you experience any spooks in that old house?

No nothing, I don't know why they had a copper in the town! great for a driving test though, drive around the block, yep your right..... A really old fashioned decent person :policeman:

Guest guest30038
Kevin, what insight, and this is proving to be so educational as well... As "Andrews" said in their post, no need for conversation really! quite incredible.. Where were those Poppy Fields please?

and thank you Susie x

Sooz, they were shot from the Bass highway just outside Deloraine. Should've stayed in the car...........I got a nice electric shock from the fence when trying to get closer :shocked:

kev

Guest guest30038
Ooh I had no idea that we have such a beautiful lighthouse here! Thank you for sharing these wonderful photos everyone :smile: Kevin, those last, "dark side" photos put me in mind of Middle Earth :wubclub:

From another angle chook.

Low Head Lighthouse nr George Town, Tasmania.

A pilots and a signal station was established at Low Head (Georgetown) in 1805 and is Australia’s oldest continuously used pilot station. Current buildings date from 1838. When a sail was sighted at dusk, a fire was lit and kept burning all night to keep the vessel in touch with the port.

After a review of pilotage in 1827 it was resolved to build a lighthouse at Low Head. The tower was built in 1833. It was constructed of local rubble with a coat of stucco to make the structure durable and to provide a worthwhile landmark. The crown was built of freestone from Launceston. The keepers’ quarters consisted of four rooms attached to the base of the tower. The only case of the quarters being attached in any Tasmanian lighthouse. The tower was 15.25 metres from top to bottom. The lantern room was built of timber in Launceston.

It had been designed by the then Colonial Architect John Lee Archer who was responsible for the design of many other Tasmanian lights. The original apparatus was provided by a Mr. W Hart of Launceston. He supplied “six dozen lamps, including reflectors, at three shillings and sixpence each”. It is Australia’s third and Tasmania’s second lighthouse built.

Conditions were poor on the early Tasmanian lightstations. Low head was no exception, being manned by a superintendent (headkeeper) and two convict assistants who were locked in their quarters overnight.

In 1835, the light was upgraded by installation of a revolving shutter which was rotated by a weight-driven clockwork mechanism. In April 1838, the original tin reflectors and Argand lamps were replaced by a new revolving lens array from Wilkins and Co of London, UK. In 1851, the candelas were increased, but no figures are quoted.

The 1833 tower was poorly constructed and after 50 years had fallen into a state of disrepair. In 1888, this original convict-built stone tower was pulled down. In the same year it was replaced with the present double brick structure, was designed by Marine Board architect Robert Huckson, with new lantern room and apparatus. The new tower was painted white.

The lens apparatus was modernised in 1916 with a more up-to-date Chance Bros. revolving lens using an incandescent kerosene mantle lantern. An auxillary red light to cover Hebe Reef had been installed in 1898.

In 1926, a broad red band was painted around the middle of the tower to ensure adequate visibility during daylight hours.

In 1940, electricity replaced the old vapourised oil system and mantle, and the clockwork rotating mechanism was replaced by an electric motor.

From 1865 to 1912, the light was under the control of Alfred C. Rockwell and his son Alfred Rockwell Jnr, a period of 47 years!

This light is now unmanned.

light__-.jpg

Guest guest30038

Liffey Falls State Reserve is nestled within cool temperate rainforest on the slopes of the Great Western Tiers. Rising on the northern edge of the Great Western Tiers, the Liffey River plunges through dense rainforest of myrtle, sassafras and leatherwood and over spectacular waterfalls before reaching rich northern farmlands and joining the South Esk River.

There are two reserves on the upper reaches of the river, with picnic and barbecue facilities as well as excellent short walks through the forest.

In 1989 the Liffey Falls State Reserve was included in the World Heritage Area, a tribute to the globally significant value of the region. The area has a rich human heritage and a geomorphology that reflects the forces, which shaped the landscape over the past 250 million years.

liffey2.jpg

liffey.jpg

St Luke's Church, Bothwell

Bothwell is a quiet farming town on the Clyde River. It was named after a town in Lanarkshire, Scotland by Governor George Arthur in 1824. The first European into the area had been Lieutenant Thomas Laycock who, while traversing the island from Port Dalrymple (Launceston) to Hobart in 1806, camped beside the Fat Doe River (subsequently renamed the Clyde River) near the present site of the town. Laycock was trying to reach Hobart because the settlement at Port Dalrymple was running out of food. The area was explored in some detail in 1817 and by 1821 settlers had taken up land along the banks of the river.

It is widely accepted that the first European settler into the area was Edward Nicholas who arrived in 1821 and built Nant's Cottage, about 1.5 km from the town centre on Denistoun Road. This simple Georgian cottage with an iron hipped roof and 12 pane windows was used by the Irish political exiles, John Mitchell and John Martin, during their stay in Tasmania in the 1850s. Both had been arrested for treasonable writings with Mitchell writing in The United Irishman and Martin in The Irish Felon.

The town was laid out in 1824 with the two broad main streets being named Alexander (after Alexander Reid of 'Ratho') and Patrick (after Patrick Wood of Denistoun).

The strong Scottish element in the early population is evident everywhere. The town's St Luke's Presbyterian (now Uniting) Church, which was built between 1828-31, is the second oldest Presbyterian church in Australia. It is claimed that the first game of golf in Australia was played on Alexander Reid's property 'Ratho' in the 1820s - the course where this famous event took place is still in use and can be played by keen golf lovers. Bothwell is also the home of Australia's first Aberdeen Angus stud.

Lukesmap.jpg

Guest siamsusie
Sooz, they were shot from the Bass highway just outside Deloraine. Should've stayed in the car...........I got a nice electric shock from the fence when trying to get closer

kev

:laugh:when I send you next time I will clad you in wellington boots:wink::hug:

Guest siamsusie

Love the angle you shot the lighthouse Kev, beautiful.. There are a few lighthouses up at Lowhead, the place quite took me by surprise actually xx

Guest guest30038
The tulips in Wynyard, I remember picking them of a night...... for a girl or two LOL

We went there Geoof to get a pic of the lighthouse. the road to it, and the car park were gravel and dust and it was blowing at about 40knotts. Unfortunatley, I couldn't get the camera out in those conditions so thanks for that pic. It wasn't tulip time though and the fields were planted with what looked like leeks and spring onions.........even they looked beautiful.

kev

We went there Geoof to get a pic of the lighthouse. the road to it, and the car park were gravel and dust and it was blowing at about 40knotts. Unfortunatley, I couldn't get the camera out in those conditions so thanks for that pic. It wasn't tulip time though and the fields were planted with what looked like leeks and spring onions.........even they looked beautiful.

kev

I stayed at a boarding house in Wynyard while I went to school in Burnie (couldn't be arsed catching the bus from Waratah) We would head up there all the time. Tassie has got some wonderful areas and so much history, it's a shame most don't travel past Hobart...

Guest guest30038

Above Hobart

Mount Wellington is a mountain on whose foothills is built much of the city of Hobart, Tasmania, Australia. It is often referred to simply as 'the Mountain' by the residents of Hobart, and it rises to 1271 m AHD over the city.

It is frequently snow covered, sometimes even in summer and the lower slopes are thickly forested, but criss-crossed by many walking tracks and a few fire trails. There is also a sealed but narrow road to the summit, about 22 km travel from the city. An enclosed lookout near the summit provides spectacular views of the city below and to the east, the Derwent estuary, and also glimpses of the World Heritage Area nearly 100 km to the west.

welly__-.jpg

River Tamar Estuary, Georgetown, Tasmania on a calm summer day with drought leaving the waters crystal clear.

European explorers first visited George Town in 1798 when George Bass and Matthew Flinders discovered and partially explored northern Tasmania’s Tamar River in their sloop, the Norfolk.

However, Australia’s third and northern Tasmania’s first European settlement was not established until 1804, when Lt. Colonel William Paterson landed at Outer Cove on the H.M.S. Buffalo.

The settlement was renamed George Town in 1811 by Governor Macquarie who had plans for its use as the northern administrative capital. The first map of the town was produced in 1813, showing streets in the town centre with the same names as those used today.

yacht__-.jpg

Abandoned Icon

An old IH truck lies neglected in a farm near the Huonville Highway, Tasmania.

IH (International Harvester) is often remembered as a maker of relatively successful and innovative “light” line of vehicles, competing directly against the Big 3. The most common were pick-up trucks. IH made light trucks from 1907 to 1975. The final Light Line truck was made on May 5, 1975.

There are many enthusiast clubs devoted to IH vehicles and I’m sure that they’d like to know about this old girl.

new0430bw.jpg

Guest siamsusie

I stayed at a boarding house in Wynyard while I went to school in Burnie (couldn't be arsed catching the bus from Waratah) We would head up there all the time. Tassie has got some wonderful areas and so much history, it's a shame most don't travel past Hobart...
My husband went to school in Burnie it wasnt the maorist college was it Geoff?

Guest siamsusie

That spot in Mount Wellington is one of my favourite spots Kevin, and wow does the chill factor get you in the snow, a beautiful picture. Georgetown is across the water from me on the east Tamar, some lovely views over there,

Thank you Kevin, I am loving my history lessons.... love Susie x

Hi Kevin,

I live a quarter of the way up that mountain! No if you just step closer to the edge and pan slightly to the right - that's us!

I followed your pointers re photos - just have to reduce the size of the few I have on computer.

Have some others to scan - once I've worked my way through boxes of photos of (OHs) old motorcycles. I may be hardpressed to find a scenic photo WITHOUT a motorcycle in it, though.

Guest siamsusie
Hi Kevin,

I live a quarter of the way up that mountain! No if you just step closer to the edge and pan slightly to the right - that's us!

I followed your pointers re photos - just have to reduce the size of the few I have on computer.

Have some others to scan - once I've worked my way through boxes of photos of (OHs) old motorcycles. I may be hardpressed to find a scenic photo WITHOUT a motorcycle in it, though.

Skanu bring it on, I love motorbikes, my OH would be delighted to see some of your collections as I would. Oh how wonderful living up there, we were up there last year, amidst the snow, its absolutely gorgeous.... cant wait to see your photographs... Thank you Susie

Skanu bring it on, I love motorbikes, my OH would be delighted to see some of your collections as I would. Oh how wonderful living up there, we were up there last year, amidst the snow, its absolutely gorgeous.... cant wait to see your photographs... Thank you Susie

It IS gorgeous - for most of the year.

I must admit, though, I breathe a sigh of relief at the end of the summer ( bushfire season).

And when I got up one morning just after Christmas to find a tiger snake under my fridge I did start to think I'm getting too old for this - maybe a move to suburbia is more my style. But I won't think like that again - well, until next December!

Guest guest30038
They'd probably let you live here too!:biggrin:

I'd love to but my wife likes the warmth (if that's what you can call it) of Qld :cry:

I'd love to but my wife likes the warmth (if that's what you can call it) of Qld :cry:

You mean that lovely sticky, muggy, damp shirts, damp knickers, can't-get-the-washing-dry, too-hot-to-do-anything Queensland weather?:wink:

(Know all about it - I was born in Grafton)

Guest guest30038
You mean that lovely sticky, muggy, damp shirts, damp knickers, can't-get-the-washing-dry, too-hot-to-do-anything Queensland weather?:wink:

(Know all about it - I was born in Grafton)

Dunno about the damp knickers.............it may not have anything to do with the weather :wink::biglaugh:

kev

Guest guest30038

Lake Llewellyn

Heading for Sister’s Beach, Tasmania, I saw a glimpse of water through the bush and turned up the next dirt road to investigate…...............I found Lake Llewellyn, which appeared to be formed by the damming of Sister’s Creek and which I managed to identify from the sign at the edge of a small boat ramp. A couple of small cottages were located along it’s bank and the opposite bank appeared totally inaccessible.

It was a beautiful location but wasn’t marked on the map so on my return to mainland Oz I decided to research it via google. I am nevertheless, none the wiser as info is scant. What I did learn though is that it is home to the Giant Freshwater Lobster, the biggest freshwater invertebrate in the world growing to a metre in length and up to 4kg in weight. An endangered and now totally protected species, it is the research as to it’s endangerment that discovered it in several locations in the SW when it was originally believed to only inhabit Northern rivers emptying into the Bass Strait. Females do not mature until approx 14 yrs of age and males around 9yrs and they spawn only once every two years, this, and the fact that they were once hunted, has led to their decline.

new0250__-.jpg

The Nut - Stanley

A different perspective on The Nut at Stanley, as seen from Pebbly Bay, Tasmania.In 1825 the Van Diemen’s Land Company was granted land in north-western Van Diemen’s Land, including the Stanley area. Employees of the company from England settled in the area in October 1826.

It was named after Lord Stanley, the British Secretary of State for War and the Colonies in the 1830s and 1840s, who later had three terms of office as British Prime Minister.

A port opened in 1827 and the first school opened in 1841. The Post Office opened on July 1, 1845 but was known as Circular Head until 1882. In 1880 the first coach service between Stanley and Burnie was established.

In 1936 a submarine telegraph and telephone cable from Apollo Bay to Stanley provided the first connection to Tasmania from the mainland.

The Nut itself is 152m (500 ft) tall, and was formed when lava cooled to form basalt rock. It is possible to either climb The Nut by a walking track, or take a chairlift to the top. The Nut was known as Moo-Nut-Re-ker by the Tasmanian Aboriginals, and by 1851, sailors had come to know it simply as The Nut

new0286.jpg

Hobart

new0451.jpg

Guest sunnyday

How did I miss this thread will the amount of skulking I've been doing lately!!!

Guys your photos are absolutely breathtaking I cannot wait to visit Tasmania, I am soooooo excited xx

Archived