Tasmania: Maybe nice to place some pictures that appeal to you here!

Guest siamsusie

Guest siamsusie

The Harbour always gives me goose bumps its beautiful and your photographs do it so much justice Kevin. Lake Llewellyn looks amazing. I am so excited to show Mr Siam these pictures on Monday, absolutely lovely, thank you!

Cheers Sunnyday, it is a beautiful island without a doubt, probably why I never feel homesick, I will try next week to take some photographs of the Straughan area with its tropical plants and the railway.

Susie xx

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest shark
Lake Llewellyn

Heading for Sister’s Beach, Tasmania, I saw a glimpse of water through the bush and turned up the next dirt road to investigate…...............I found Lake Llewellyn, which appeared to be formed by the damming of Sister’s Creek and which I managed to identify from the sign at the edge of a small boat ramp. A couple of small cottages were located along it’s bank and the opposite bank appeared totally inaccessible.

It was a beautiful location but wasn’t marked on the map so on my return to mainland Oz I decided to research it via google. I am nevertheless, none the wiser as info is scant. What I did learn though is that it is home to the Giant Freshwater Lobster, the biggest freshwater invertebrate in the world growing to a metre in length and up to 4kg in weight. An endangered and now totally protected species, it is the research as to it’s endangerment that discovered it in several locations in the SW when it was originally believed to only inhabit Northern rivers emptying into the Bass Strait. Females do not mature until approx 14 yrs of age and males around 9yrs and they spawn only once every two years, this, and the fact that they were once hunted, has led to their decline.

new0250__-.jpg

The Nut - Stanley

A different perspective on The Nut at Stanley, as seen from Pebbly Bay, Tasmania.In 1825 the Van Diemen’s Land Company was granted land in north-western Van Diemen’s Land, including the Stanley area. Employees of the company from England settled in the area in October 1826.

It was named after Lord Stanley, the British Secretary of State for War and the Colonies in the 1830s and 1840s, who later had three terms of office as British Prime Minister.

A port opened in 1827 and the first school opened in 1841. The Post Office opened on July 1, 1845 but was known as Circular Head until 1882. In 1880 the first coach service between Stanley and Burnie was established.

In 1936 a submarine telegraph and telephone cable from Apollo Bay to Stanley provided the first connection to Tasmania from the mainland.

The Nut itself is 152m (500 ft) tall, and was formed when lava cooled to form basalt rock. It is possible to either climb The Nut by a walking track, or take a chairlift to the top. The Nut was known as Moo-Nut-Re-ker by the Tasmanian Aboriginals, and by 1851, sailors had come to know it simply as The Nut

new0286.jpg

Hobart

new0451.jpg

brilliant photos kev,100%stunning thanks for sharing i really liked the first one.top stuff.

Guest shark

susie ,you are right when you said ,on enough thread that it looks like the west off Ireland you were right allot off the photos on here remind me off my time in the west off Ireland.

Guest siamsusie

susie ,you are right when you said ,on enough thread that it looks like the west off Ireland you were right allot off the photos on here remind me off my time in the west off Ireland.

Thank you Shark, it does me as well, and well you should know having lived there. For a relatively smallish island Shark it is exceptionally diverse.:wubclub: Susie

Guest shark

the only differences Susie is they don't have snakes in Ireland ,its a shame bloody ST PADDY did not visit Tasmania .

Guest siamsusie
the only differences Susie is they don't have snakes in Ireland ,its a shame bloody ST PADDY did not visit Tasmania .
Well I never Shark, I have just been reading about old St Paddy. A nice wee story here about that

Saint Patrick & Ireland's Snakes

Susie:wubclub:

Guest shark
Well I never Shark, I have just been reading about old St Paddy. A nice wee story here about that

Saint Patrick & Ireland's Snakes

Susie:wubclub:

those experts are not always right susie, St paddy did vanish the snakes from Ireland :cry: .the country off Ireland ,was attached to Britain once and they have snakes ,so some off them must off come over :yes: .susie i bet you did not know St paddy was from Wales ,he is not even Irish.

Guest siamsusie

those experts are not always right susie, St paddy did vanish the snakes from Ireland :cry: .the country off Ireland ,was attached to Britain once and they have snakes ,so some off them must off come over :yes: .susie i bet you did not know St paddy was from Wales ,he is not even Irish.
I didnt before this evening Shark, but I read up on it, because I would like the wee chap to be patron saint of huntsmen, and woosh them away:dull:

Guest siamsusie

cradle_mountain_and_dove-lake_tasmania.jpg

Dove Lane & Cradle Mountain Tasmania

railway.jpg

West Coast Wilderness Railway - Tasmania Steam Train Ride - Australia

Closed down in 1963, the railway returned to nature and slumbered for 37 years, to be reawakened with a restoration of similar magnitude to its original construction. Once again, trains are running between Queenstown and Strahan, using the extraordinary rack and pinion third rail Abt system to conquer the mountainous terrain.

A lunch stop in the heart of the dense forest at Dubbil Barril allows passengers to wander along forest paths, discover remote creeks running down to the King River. There to see first hand the beauty of the majestic wilderness rain forest.The historic 35 kilometer railway of tight curves and spectacular bridges clambers through rugged wilderness, dense rainforest and steep gorges, a legacy to the engineering skills, determination and endurance of the early 19th century West Coast pioneers who built it. Since 1896, the railway has hauled copper concentrates from the Queenstown mines to the port of Strahan, providing the only access and lifeline for the communities along the way.

I have taken this train a few times (next weekend we will embark on another trip) its one of Tasmania's magnificants trips through the rain forests. The man ferns are to be seen to be believed.

We even stop to do a spot of gold panning along the way lol.

Guest siamsusie

PrincessMaryWEB.jpg

And of course our Tasmanian Princess Mary of Denmark still maintains a hands on approach as far as her children are concerned in Hobart lol.

Guest guest30038

West Coast Wilderness Railway - Tasmania Steam Train Ride - Australia

Closed down in 1963, the railway returned to nature and slumbered for 37 years, to be reawakened with a restoration of similar magnitude to its original construction. Once again, trains are running between Queenstown and Strahan, using the extraordinary rack and pinion third rail Abt system to conquer the mountainous terrain.

A lunch stop in the heart of the dense forest at Dubbil Barril allows passengers to wander along forest paths, discover remote creeks running down to the King River. There to see first hand the beauty of the majestic wilderness rain forest.The historic 35 kilometer railway of tight curves and spectacular bridges clambers through rugged wilderness, dense rainforest and steep gorges, a legacy to the engineering skills, determination and endurance of the early 19th century West Coast pioneers who built it. Since 1896, the railway has hauled copper concentrates from the Queenstown mines to the port of Strahan, providing the only access and lifeline for the communities along the way.

I have taken this train a few times (next weekend we will embark on another trip) its one of Tasmania's magnificants trips through the rain forests. The man ferns are to be seen to be believed.

We even stop to do a spot of gold panning along the way lol.

Thanks for that sooz. Must do a trip next time we're over.

kev xx

Guest guest30038

The conservatory - Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens

The Conservatory was designed by Superintendent Ira Thornicroft, and completed in 1939. Its walls are built of sandstone salvaged from a demolished section of the Hobart General Hospital.

These gardens were established on slopes beside the River Derwent in 1818. Now in the 13.5 hectare site there are 6500 species and varieties of plants, including the largest public conifer collection in the southern hemisphere.There are more than 400 Tasmanian plant species on display, Peter Cundall's (of the ABC's Gardening Australia TV Show) vegie patch, a stunning conservatory and a Japanese garden. Beds of annuals provide a changing display four times a year - in late September the Tasmanian Tulip Festival is held in the gardens.

The Arthur Wall, near the main gate, could be internally heated so that exotic trees and plants could be grown for the kitchen garden. Although it's many years since the fires have been lit, the wall retains the suns warmth for days. Now it supports flowering creepers. Near the wall is a traditional herb garden. A new attraction is the sub antarctic plant house featuring plants from Macquarie Island.

Although over 300,000 people a year visit the gardens, the impression of peace and solitude, not crowds, is the one that remains with the visitor.

arbor__-.jpg

In complete contrast two shots of drought ridden landsape

Too Little - Too Late

Drought ravaged landscape near Bothwell, Tasmania. Storm clouds gather over an abadoned farmworker’s cottage, but it arrives, all too late and too little, to make much difference. The rain lasted but 10 minutes.

Tasmania is in the midst of one of the severest and longest droughts on record. The whole state was brought under interim drought declaration from September 2007, with parts of the Midlands, East Coast and Flinders Island declared to be in Exceptional Circumstances from that date. There has been well below average rainfall since that time, and it is estimated that sheep properties in the drought-affected areas are now carrying 30-40% of normal stocking rates. The drought is having serious impacts not only on livestock but also on the health and welfare of the rural community.

To some drought is just a natural part of the business and lifestyle of farming, it comes with the territory, and should be managed and treated as such. To others drought is an aberrant natural phenomenon beyond the control of even the best farming operator, and support should be provided accordingly. Whatever the truth of the matter, the real effects of drought on real people can be devastating and profound.

Drought is about more than land and animals. Drought is also not just about the mechanics and business of farming, but about people, about health and wellbeing, about education, community welfare, social cohesion, rural living, and about all the aspects of life that humans are involved in.

drought__-.jpg

Forlorn

Drought ravaged landscape near Bothwell, Tasmania. Storm clouds had gathered over an abadoned farmworker’s cottage, but the rain was fleeting and lasted only 10 minutes, giving way to blue skies, once again.

The image of Tasmania, that many tourists see, of silver sands, sparkling blue sea, and green valleys, lush with apples and grape vines, belie the fact that much of Tasmania is in serious drought. The farms that are green lie mainly in the valleys and are drawing water from rivers and streams that are already depleted by the drought.

droughts__-.jpg

]The image of Tasmania, that many tourists see, of silver sands, sparkling blue sea, and green valleys, lush with apples and grape vines, belie the fact that much of Tasmania is in serious drought. [/size][/color]

NEWS FLASH!

The drought broke in 2009, some areas having a record annual rainfall.

We here in Hobart had our wettest year since 1956.

Guest guest30038

]The image of Tasmania, that many tourists see, of silver sands, sparkling blue sea, and green valleys, lush with apples and grape vines, belie the fact that much of Tasmania is in serious drought. [/size][/color]

NEWS FLASH!

The drought broke in 2009, some areas having a record annual rainfall.

We here in Hobart had our wettest year since 1956.

Thanks for that. I better update my website! :rolleyes::biglaugh:

Sorry, Kev, I forgot to say (because I'm really supposed to be doing the laundry :-( - wonderfully evocative photos of that landscape around Bothwell illustrating the harsh environment of that high country: only fit for sheep and Scotsmen :-)

Guest guest30038
Sorry, Kev, I forgot to say (because I'm really supposed to be doing the laundry :-( - wonderfully evocative photos of that landscape around Bothwell illustrating the harsh environment of that high country: only fit for sheep and Scotsmen :-)

'

The two of 'em are well suited :wink: :biglaugh:

kev

Guest claireandmark

Thought Id add a couple of my photos, excuse the quality (they were taken on my phone)

one is of Coles Bay and the other is one of Tassies many deserted beaches on the drive up the east coast

[ATTACH]1598[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1599[/ATTACH]

Guest guest30038

PORT ARTHUR PRISON

The Port Arthur penal settlement began life as a small timber station in 1830. Originally designed as a replacement for the recently closed timber camp at Birches Bay, Port Arthur quickly grew in importance within the penal system of the colonies.

The initial decade of settlement saw a penal station hacked from the bush, and the first manufactories - such as ship building, shoemaking, smithing, timber and brick making - established. The 1840s witnessed a consolidation of the industrial and penal nature of the settlement as the convict population reached over 1100. In 1842 a huge flour mill and granary (later the penitentiary) was begun, as well as the construction of a hospital. 1848 saw the first stone laid for the Separate Prison, the completion of which brought about a shift in punishment philosophy from physical to mental subjugation. Port Arthur also expanded geographically as the convicts pushed further into the encircling hills to extract the valuable timber.

new0081.jpg

new0086.jpg

WILLOW-PORT ARTHUR

Set within the picturesque confines of a forest-bordered harbour, the Port Arthur site offers a diverse panorama: 19th century buildings sitting within the park-like surrounds of the superbly reconstructed gardens, criss-crossed by avenues of mature English trees.

Originally established in 1830 as a timber-getting camp, the settlement quickly expanded in size, large cultivated plots laid down to supplement the rations of the convicts and officers. Accompanying this was a setting aside of small plots for the tending of ornamental gardens by the officers. Large swathes of well-tended lawn are interspersed with the ornamental beauty of the reconstructed Government and Commandant’s Gardens. The images of the garden are far removed from the hardship the prisoners had to endure.

willow__-.jpg

Guest siamsusie

Thank you Claire, Mark and Kevin, gorgeous pictures! much appreciated....

Kevin, Mr Siam has decided to take me to Port Arthur this weekend and Hobart...... so looking forward to seeing where you have taken these pictures Susie xx

Guest guest30038
Thank you Claire, Mark and Kevin, gorgeous pictures! much appreciated....

Kevin, Mr Siam has decided to take me to Port Arthur this weekend and Hobart...... so looking forward to seeing where you have taken these pictures Susie xx

Are you home for good now Sooz? Try and visit the cemetry on the island. I forget the numbers but the island is so small and the dead so many, that they eventually buried them standing up (apparently)

Unfortunately I have a sad/angry memory of Port Arthur. I was having a few moments reflection at the memorial cross and as I turned around, a smartly dressed woman (Australian unfortunately) who was sitting on the wall of the memorial pool, flicked her cigarette into same. I simply said, "the foreign tourists seem to have more respect for this place than you do." She them simply grinned at me and emptied the contents of her slurpy into the pool.............I could have rung her bloody neck! :arghh:

Guest claireandmark
Are you home for good now Sooz? Try and visit the cemetry on the island. I forget the numbers but the island is so small and the dead so many, that they eventually buried them standing up (apparently)

Unfortunately I have a sad/angry memory of Port Arthur. I was having a few moments reflection at the memorial cross and as I turned around, a smartly dressed woman (Australian unfortunately) who was sitting on the wall of the memorial pool, flicked her cigarette into same. I simply said, "the foreign tourists seem to have more respect for this place than you do." She them simply grinned at me and emptied the contents of her slurpy into the pool.............I could have rung her bloody neck! :arghh:

You should of pushed her in:mad:

Guest siamsusie

Unfortunately I have a sad/angry memory of Port Arthur. I was having a few moments reflection at the memorial cross and as I turned around, a smartly dressed woman (Australian unfortunately) who was sitting on the wall of the memorial pool, flicked her cigarette into same. I simply said, "the foreign tourists seem to have more respect for this place than you do." She them simply grinned at me and emptied the contents of her slurpy into the pool.............I could have rung her bloody neck!

:hug:More or less Kev, we have just sold the house in Karrratha so packing etc. Mr S has been offered another job and I start back at work beginning of May.

Yes the poor unfortunate in question needed her bottom slapping, neck wringing is a tad too noisy for me:jiggy: love Susie

• 2 weeks later...

Archived