Foodstuffs and customs

shaunkaren

I am hoping that a friend can bring through gravy granules from the UK, as they are exorbitant in the English shop compared to good old Tesco's!! Does anyone know of any problem with bringing it through, I have been advised that they may be taken by customs and suspect this is because they are a meat based product (and may therefore have a very dubious link to BSE). I am also interested to know other peoples experience of bringing things into the country and of any other things which may be prevented from entering Australia, then hopefully this friend won't get frisked at customs and won't ever want to set foot on Aussie soil again!

Thanks for your invaluable advice in advance to all those others obsessed by UK food!!(Yes after just 7 weeks this is really sad I know, but I wouldn't swap Oz for a Tesco shop anyday!!!)

Karen x

Guest guest36187

I`ll let you know next week as my OH comes home next Friday - hes bringing Bisto, Colmans mixes and a few other things no doubt!!!! lol!

As long as you declare it all and seals are unbroken, I cant see the hassle!

Usually if it's pre-packaged and unopened and doesn't contain seeds etc it should be ok. Just declare it - they will soon let you know if it's a problem. I usually make a long list of all the food items I bring back and hand it to them - they barely glance at it before they wave me through!

Love

Rudi

x

Guest Working to fish
I am hoping that a friend can bring through gravy granules from the UK, as they are exorbitant in the English shop compared to good old Tesco's!! Does anyone know of any problem with bringing it through, I have been advised that they may be taken by customs and suspect this is because they are a meat based product (and may therefore have a very dubious link to BSE). I am also interested to know other peoples experience of bringing things into the country and of any other things which may be prevented from entering Australia, then hopefully this friend won't get frisked at customs and won't ever want to set foot on Aussie soil again!

Thanks for your invaluable advice in advance to all those others obsessed by UK food!!(Yes after just 7 weeks this is really sad I know, but I wouldn't swap Oz for a Tesco shop anyday!!!)

Karen x

160cms of cling film ,whats that all about :err:

160cms of cling film ,whats that all about :err:

That probably refers to my bringing 160m's (not cm's) of clingfilm in the container! I took the bring everything advice a bit literally - I really don't understand it myself now and my only explanation is that I had Tesco's shopping manaia just before we packed our container!!

To everyone else thanks for your prompt replies!! I was hoping that so long as it was sealed it would be ok.

Kind Regards

Karen x

Guest Working to fish

To everyone else thanks for your prompt replies!!

Kind Regards

Karen x

I ment m (not cm) Thanks for your prompt replie :wink:.

Many thanks

working to fish.

Guest Working to fish
I miss some of the things from the uk (mainlydecent ale ) but the craving is wearin off slightly ,but GRAVY GRANULES= is the same as father xmas when your 5 years old ,wouldnt you say :yes:

I miss some of the things from the uk (mainlydecent ale ) but the craving is wearin off slightly ,but GRAVY GRANULES= is the same as father xmas when your 5 years old ,wouldnt you say :yes:

I think this 40 degrees is cookin my lump, im strugglin with the connotation mate

Karen x

Check out

What can't I take into Australia? - DAFF

if you have not already done so. We ditch all our foodstuffs on arrival at the behest of my OH but I am interested to see others get stuff through no problem.

Often, the "something to declare" queue is shorter than the green queue. Can be a bit of a time saver at Kingsford-Smith.:biggrin:

Check out

What can't I take into Australia? - DAFF

if you have not already done so. We ditch all our foodstuffs on arrival at the behest of my OH but I am interested to see others get stuff through no problem.

Often, the "something to declare" queue is shorter than the green queue. Can be a bit of a time saver at Kingsford-Smith.:biggrin:

Red queue in Perth is horrendous we went back on hols last year and brought back me old mutts ashes , had to drive to the pet crematorium for a letter of prroof , ,got a boolockin at manchester cos we had not informed them no scrutiny , singapore no inspection ,queued at Perth for 45 mins , only laugh bloke in front with asuitcase crammed full of alpen , never checked us told them waved us on ,coulsd have been smack owt

had to smile,I so wished for gravy granules, couldn't find any in oz,made me learn how to make gravy myself without the help of even any meat,

your thinking how clever I must be haha because a lot of people don't know how to do that

thinking maybe I should look in Aldi to see if it can be bought there,just remember thinking the aldi gravy granuals were the best

Lynda

Red queue in Perth is horrendous we went back on hols last year and brought back me old mutts ashes , had to drive to the pet crematorium for a letter of prroof , ,got a boolockin at manchester cos we had not informed them no scrutiny , singapore no inspection ,queued at Perth for 45 mins , only laugh bloke in front with asuitcase crammed full of alpen , never checked us told them waved us on ,coulsd have been smack owt

LOL - bit of a lottery. Last time customs washed our shoes for us. Very kind of them I must say.

There are tons of UK shops here now that sell Bisto!

I know they do, but have you seen the prices!!! On the subject of customs when we arrived I declared that we had foodstuff and we were shepherded to the things to declare area. We were asked what did we have with us, I replied Marmite and Chocolate. We were also asked if we had any wooden items, which we didn't and were then sent through the exit! Everyone else who hadn't declared were having to put all their bags through the x-ray machines which were taking ages.

Also having read on the AQIS website, so long as you declare foodstuffs etc. you won't be prosecuted and all they will do is take it off you you can even pick it up and take it on your return journey. If on the other hand you DON'T declare things you can land up in a whole heap of trouble.

Guest proud2beaussie

Yep,bringing in food and not declaring it is a no no,if caught you can be fined and the items are likely to be seized and destroyed,whereas there are lot's of things that you can bring in quite legally,it's just a matter of declaring them on your incoming passenger card,whenever I go to the UK I bring back tins of quality street chocolate and packs of biscuits etc and I never have any hassle,just tell them what you are carrying and everything should be ok.

You can definitely bring Gravy granules through - we did when we came back to UK for a holiday from Brisbane. We declared to customs and they were happy

We also mailed a package from the UK whilst we were there and thet had gravy in it - no worries again - we also got sandwich pickle, bisto stock, crisps, chocolate, jaffa cakes and Marshmallows through

Guest Lesley

Hi,i alway bring Bisto gravy granules bk with when iv visited uk & also have them sent over when running low.Ive never had a problem,so u shlould be fine.

Archived