Are we wanted down under?

shirleyt

Hi, My OH and I are thinking of emegrating (thanks to a cold winter and wanted down under). We have four children aged 1, 3, 6 and 18. OH is wall and floor tiler, looking into western aus state sponsership 176? any advise if Brisbane is good area for teenagers. We have about £600,000 and would like to be near the beach.Any suggestions??

Hi Shirley

Welcome to PIO,, Brisbane doesnt have any beaches unless you count the man made one right in the city centre, this would mean if you want beachside living you would have to go for the Gold Coast or the Sunshine Coast.

The Gold Coast is more popular with familys who have older children as everything is there and its busier than the sunny coast.

With the budget you have either areas could give you a lovely house and a good kick start to your new life. Have a look at Real Estate | Homes for Sale | Houses for Sale | MLS Listings | Real Estate Agents - RealEstate.com for a guide to property prices.

Hope this helps for now and good luck with the visa application

Cal x

Hi, My OH and I are thinking of emegrating (thanks to a cold winter and wanted down under). We have four children aged 1, 3, 6 and 18. OH is builder, looking into Queensland state sponsership 176? any advise if Brisbane is good area for teenagers. We have about £600,000 and would like to be near the beach.Any suggestions??

with that money you could have absolute beach at Redcliffe, not a rat race like the Gold Coast!

Agree - no beaches in Brisbane to speak of just muddy river banks

Maybe with the exception of Wellington point (and that is pushing it!)

Redcliffe, Sunny Coast, Bribe Island (Bridged to the mainland) or Gold Coast are your best bets

Really depends on how far away from Brisbane you want to be?

Redcliffe and Bribie then Gold Coast and Sunny coast in that order (closest first)

Good Luck

Yes not many beaches close to Brisbane itself, you need to go North or South to the Gold Coast. The Gold Coast is an acquired taste really but some like it, very touristy and tacky in many places.

This 'if Brisbane is good area for teenagers.' is extremely difficult to answer really. Brisbane CBD CAN BE a violent place on a weekend at night, typical night club stabbings and general fights and stuff. That is true of basically any city anywhere. It really depends if they are typical teenagers or they are more into the sights rather than drinking. There are lots of things to do but what equates to a good time for adults is often different for teens.

We like living in the Brisbane area but wouldn't live closer than we do (30 km's) Good luck with it.

Yes not many beaches close to Brisbane itself, you need to go North or South to the Gold Coast. The Gold Coast is an acquired taste really but some like it, very touristy and tacky in many places.

This 'if Brisbane is good area for teenagers.' is extremely difficult to answer really. Brisbane CBD is a violent place on a weekend at night, typical night club stabbings and general fights and stuff. That is true of basically any city anywhere. It really depends if they are typical teenagers or they are more into the sights rather than drinking. There are lots of things to do but what equates to a good time for adults is often different for teens.

We like living in the Brisbane area but wouldn't live closer than we do (30 km's) Good luck with it.

:eek: Woah there... I happen to think that Brisbane is a pretty safe city. There might be trouble IF you go looking for it.

I have been out late in the city many times (This Friday included) and have not been stabbed, shot or what ever else you are suggesting.

Violent and Brisbane do not go together. Even if you have had a bad experience you are in the severe minority.

I had to get this in because anyone else reading your post might think we are in the grip of gang warfare. :wink:

I actually said it is true of practically any city anywhere, Brisbane CBD does have a reputation as being a violent place.

Violence spirals out of control at Brisbane pubs, court told | The Courier-Mail

It is why they are looking at introducing plastic glasses. I am not singling Brisbane out by any means, nowadays all city centres are basically the same.

'Video generation' under fire for hotel violence

Anyone who has been the victim of violence is in the minority but that doesn't mean it isn't commonplace. I hardly liken pub violence to gang warfare :laugh: The original poster asked about teenagers in Brisbane, this is reality for SOME drinkers, partygoers etc. I have edited the post to make it more palatable.

Anywhere with pubs and clubs will generate a few idiots intent on making trouble regardless of which city or country.

The 'more or less crime' argument really depends on where you live/lived in the UK ,our local City Ctr back in the UK was Manchester so Brisbane in comparison is much much safer in our eyes.

Cal x

Hi, My OH and I are thinking of emegrating (thanks to a cold winter and wanted down under). We have four children aged 1, 3, 6 and 18. OH is builder, looking into Queensland state sponsership 176? any advise if Brisbane is good area for teenagers. We have about £600,000 and would like to be near the beach.Any suggestions??

If you want to be near a beach and nearish a CBD I would choose Redcliffe in Brisbane, Perth or Sydney.

Hi Shirley

Just wondered if you'd considered any of the other states too, or whether your heart is set on Brisbane?

Of course, where you end up will depend mainly on the work situation but we like living here and when we first got here, we spent some time in the City and me and the kids used to catch the CityCat across to the South Bank beach. It has always felt a very family friendly city to us, although as Cal says there are idiots anywhere after dark where alcohol is available.

We are on Bribie and for us, it's the furthest north from the city as I'd want to be, I wouldn't want to be any further away because the travelling times are quite long on the Bruce Highway. Again, it depends on where you will be working.

Hope this helps

Sue x

Guest sh7t man no way
I actually said it is true of practically any city anywhere, Brisbane CBD does have a reputation as being a violent place.

Violence spirals out of control at Brisbane pubs, court told | The Courier-Mail

It is why they are looking at introducing plastic glasses. I am not singling Brisbane out by any means, nowadays all city centres are basically the same.

'Video generation' under fire for hotel violence

Anyone who has been the victim of violence is in the minority but that doesn't mean it isn't commonplace. I hardly liken pub violence to gang warfare :laugh: The original poster asked about teenagers in Brisbane, this is reality for SOME drinkers, partygoers etc. I have edited the post to make it more palatable.

i dont know where this chap gets his info from, but i feel Brisbane is one of the top,and safest citys on the world---Redcliffe is a very good place to live-- its all to do with what you want from where you live--with your budget there should be heaps of choices, it will be fun choseing.

Guest siamsusie

i dont know where this chap gets his info from, but i feel Brisbane is one of the top,and safest citys on the world---Redcliffe is a very good place to live-- its all to do with what you want from where you live--with your budget there should be heaps of choices, it will be fun choseing.

Mind you Alan, Itcouldbeworse Kevin lives there, and he is a bit of a bruiser:jiggy:

Redcliffe is my very safe haven!

It is absolutely fine that you feel it is one of the safest cities in the world, no-one can argue with that.

Archived