3months in Perth..story so far..bit long!

Guest Quwa

Guest Markh

Hi Sarah

Can steve pm me as I have safety net and other safety qualification and would like to ask a few questions if thats ok

Best wishes

Mark

Hi Chicken,

Good post. You might make a bit of money on your book. Things will get better and pretty quickly too, I speak from experience. If you have kids (and even if you haven't) I would recommend joining a surf club. Find out which is the nearest to where you live and enquire about joining. Some have waiting lists to get in as their memberships are full. You will find it's a great way to get to know people and gets you into the Aussie way of life. They all have gyms, so you don't need a gym membership as well and once you have your Bronze Medallion you can usually use the club equipment.

It's been one of the best things we ever did and our social life for the family revolves around the Surf Club. It's been great for the kids and a lot of their friends are from the club.

All the best,

Paul.

Guest Loopy Loo

Thanks for your post, I've really enjoyed reading about your new start in life. Just wondering what visa you went out on ? I'm looking for company sponsorship 457 and thought I had an opportunity in Sydney, but seems like they're just wasting my time. I've got friends in Perth and would consider that as an alternative if I can get employment. Any advice on getting sponsorship would be appreciated - my experience is in the motor industry (sales and marketing management).

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Jojingle

Thanks very much - very useful since we are currently discussing what to bring and what to leave ( hoover, bed, kitchen stuff) . I've noticed the clothes are expensive and not the same quality/range that we get here so have already planned to stock up! Same with makeup and toiletries I think. Thanks!

Great to read posts from Quwa and chicken. Really interesting to hear good and bad points but even better to hear the good outweigh the bad!!

Wishing you both all the best and hope to be enjoying the same very soon,

Diane

Guest soon2move

hey there, just read your post...it is a very true balanced reflection of life in perth. Myself and partner (both 27) moved over 7 weeks ago now and have experienced the same things. Still haven't got a car because its so expensive and cant get credit which makes it feel pretty isolating at times. We live in Clarkson so only round the corner from you. got a rental ok and he's working - i'm pregnant so can't work as only got 12 weeks left until baby arrives. we are lucky to have friends who live in clarkson too but biggest thing for me is to expand my friend circle...we are lucky my partner has friends from school in south of perth so we do have some social things to go to but they are so far away.

if you are looking for to have a beer (well diet coke for me) down at mindarie at some point, let me know...we went down to the festival there a week or two ago which was lovely. it is a lovely part of perth around here. we are very lucky to be here :)

• 3 months later...
Guest shawgorbys

hi guys sorry im a bit late replying to this great thread so glad your all happy were hoping to get to Perth soon we are a family of 4 we are bringing a container with us but the way the housing market is we will be lucky if we come with £20k do you think we will be ok with that my hubby is a butcher by trade and he will be looking for a job offer and a 457visa and ill do anything we are both hard workers just cant wait to get there now so good luck and take care guys keep having fun in Perth xxx:hug:and keep us posted with the great threads Andrea,Gary,Tom,jack,

• 1 year later...
Guest mnotaylor

Hi Sarah

Sounds like everything has worked out for you in Oz :)

Me and my OH are really keen on moving out also. OH works in Rope Access and we have sent in his CV to so many companies based in Perth but we have had no responses. We were hoping to get a sponsored visa and come out with that, but now considering a holiday visa for one month and visiting companies personally. Can I ask you what visa you both came out on, as I read in your post that your OH didn't have a job for a start.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated!

• 2 months later...
Hi Sarah

Sounds like everything has worked out for you in Oz :)

Me and my OH are really keen on moving out also. OH works in Rope Access and we have sent in his CV to so many companies based in Perth but we have had no responses. We were hoping to get a sponsored visa and come out with that, but now considering a holiday visa for one month and visiting companies personally. Can I ask you what visa you both came out on, as I read in your post that your OH didn't have a job for a start.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated!

Hi, I wrote to companies and have amanaged to get sponsorship although it has b a long haul and my visa application is only going in now, my employer nomination has been approved and they have been very patient as the job was offered at the end of 2009. I am hoping to get an ens121 but you could try a 176 regional sponsorship as Perth has been included in that. Those visas come through quickly and you don't have to have job to get one. Unfortunately you would then have to find a job once you got to OZ but from what I have read it doesn't seem to be too difficult. Although you may think the ens121 with a job offer should be high priority it actually lies beneath the 176 and takes on average 7 months as it has two parts, nomination and visa. 176 are coming through is 2 months on average.

Hope you find the right visa and get some reponse from the companies.

• 2 months later...

Hi. Think you will struggle on $25 per hr. I got offered job $35 per hr for 45 hr week, with time and half after 35 hrs. Take home pay around $1200 per week after tax. Not that good, but if my partner can get a job then it maybe ok.

We got family in perth, and told its expensive for every thing. But hey ho got to give it a go. Might find a better paid job once over there.

Archived