KNock on effect to spouse/partner/ child visa???

k8bug79

Hi, I have been reading todays announcements with interest. W eare incredibly lucky as we originaly looked at taking the skilled migrant route, my husband is a chef but he only just got the points. WIthout the points for his career we would have been scuppered. I feel for people who are in this situation. We found out that my husband was eligible for citizenship by descent and he has applied and been granted this.

When we have saved the money we are going to apply for my spouses visa. My concern is that everything in todays announcemnets makes me think that they are clamping down on immigration ina big way. My husband has never lived in Australia and the chances are he'll be going over without a job. DO you think that they will be tightening up on spouse visas too? We want to look at my husband goinga nd gettinga job first but are terrified of him going away and me not being able to join him for a while. I have also looked at going with him on a tourist visa but I was told that if they suspect that we are not there as a visitor we'll get turned away, so I don't think this is a good option.

If anyone feels that there is going to be an impact on these visa can you give me some advice as to what may help secure these visas for certain.

Thanks

Guest siamsusie
Hi, I have been reading todays announcements with interest. uspect that we are not there as a visitor we'll get turned away, so I don't think this is a good option.

If anyone feels that there is going to be an impact on these visa can you give me some advice as to what may help secure these visas for certain.

Thanks

:wink:Download all the forms, and start asking the relevent questions. There are no problems with a spouse visa:notworthy: love Susie

Guest Guest31881

The hardest part of obtaining a spouse visa is gathering the evidence together, filling the forms in and organising police checks and medicals. once you have done that the visa will be granted very quickly. (mine took 10 days). No one is going to change the rules regarding an Australian bringing his wife back home, even if he has never been to Australia. you have nothing to worry about.

As Susie said, get the forms and get started, then when you are ready to apply you can go ahead.:jiggy:

Thanks guys. I think my main concern is not that they will stop the partners, but that they may be a bit more strict on the people they give it to. So with hubby not having a job eg they may see that as himnot being able t support me and then in the current migration climate refuse it. I guess I am just starting to get jittery now after being so sure.

Thanks for your replies.

Guest siamsusie
Thanks guys. I think my main concern is not that they will stop the partners, but that they may be a bit more strict on the people they give it to. So with hubby not having a job eg they may see that as himnot being able t support me and then in the current migration climate refuse it. I guess I am just starting to get jittery now after being so sure.

Thanks for your replies.

Hi Kate, it looks daunting when you commence the paperwork.... but! if your husband is an Australian you will be fine. He will be your sponsor, which means that you wont be entitled to centrelink (social security) but you will be entitled to medicare and given full working rights. One of our other members has just been given a de facto visa and her partner was unemployed, that wasnt a problem. As long as you personally are not going to be a burden on the system there shouldnt be a problem. If you are concerned why not speak to a RMA, who will give you some free advice before commencement if thats the route you are going down.

As you know it is pretty costly starting up in a new country, so there is an abundance of good advice on PIO that should clarify things for you and make your pathway easier.

Best wishes

Susie

NB: Coming over on a tourist visa is not recommended although it has been done, on shore spouse visas to tend a wee bit longer than off shore. If I may suggest once again its a very expensive country and you do need some financial backup particularly setting up a home... very best wishes Susie

Hi

I came over on a spouse visa and my husband had to sponsor me by saying he planned to find a job once he arrived to support us.

Not sure about not being able to apply for centrelink though because we were entitled to it as soon as we arrived.

Guest Guest31881

I came over on a spouse visa with my wife as sponsor, she is entitled to centerlink benifits, I cannot claim anything for 2 yrs, but I believe if you have children you can also claim for their benifits on arrival, but not 100% sure.

Guest siamsusie
Hi

I came over on a spouse visa and my husband had to sponsor me by saying he planned to find a job once he arrived to support us.

Not sure about not being able to apply for centrelink though because we were entitled to it as soon as we arrived.

You could be right there Wendy because with the OP there is a child involved... I think for Colin (srp) and myself we are not entitled to centrelink for the first 2 years I believe, this is why I recommended an RMA who would have all the knowledge on this.. Best wishes Susie:wubclub:

NB apologies Colin I was typing at the same time*

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jmvjolly

my husband is the main applicant or a 175 visa. Will I be able to work? Or set up a business?

:eek:

Hi all, very interested reading this post as we have similar concerns, my wife is applying for citizenship by descent and then myself and our daughter applying for partner visa, however she lives in uk with me and currently isn't working so we are really concerned as to if the visa would be turned down if she can't prove sponsorship any advice on this would be great, she has a sister out in oz who we are going to stay with till we find somewhere and i am not going to go out there till i get a job, so any advice to our situation would be fantastic

:biggrin:

Hi just seen some of the posts on this thread, sorry didn't get round to them now. Thanks for your responses.

As far as I understand as a spouse you are given a temporary visa and after 2 years if the relationship is continuing it is made permanant. Ona temporary visa you are not entitledto centrelink payments apart from the child elememts.

However there is a good chance that if you ahve been married/ together for 5 years at the point of applcation or have been married/ together with dependant children then you are fast tracked to a permanant resident which means you can claim centrelink.

Hi just seen some of the posts on this thread, sorry didn't get round to them now. Thanks for your responses.

As far as I understand as a spouse you are given a temporary visa and after 2 years if the relationship is continuing it is made permanant. Ona temporary visa you are not entitledto centrelink payments apart from the child elememts.

However there is a good chance that if you ahve been married/ together for 5 years at the point of applcation or have been married/ together with dependant children then you are fast tracked to a permanant resident which means you can claim centrelink.

Yes, we had been married for over five years and already had two children so I was given a permanent visa straight away.

Yes, we had been married for over five years and already had two children so I was given a permanent visa straight away.

I am hoping this will be the case for me, if we were to apply today we would have been together for 4 1/2 years and have 2 children together. We have been married for 2. So I think we qualify just by having the cildren and being together for more than 2 but I won't be counting my chickens

Archived