Aussie interviews

theonetruechris

Guest sh7t man no way
Whats that all about then ?????

its when someone who wants to employ you asks you to go for an interview (this is a formal talk on your experiences in the work place,and life--they also tell you about your possible future job------you to can ask questions about the company,and its products)----an interview is a difficult concept for some people to digest i hope my words have helped you-----------an Aussie interview is a interview by an Aussie--an Aussie usually lives in Australia(that big island near new Zealand)--we are here to help:wubclub:

Guest sh7t man no way
Yeah, thats what you'd expect!!!!

what happened mate---whats got you stirred up---ive had a couple of interviews over there to me they wuz no dramas.

Nah, not stirred up just confused as hell. I've had 3 these past fortnight and they're nothing like I've ever had in the UK. I think they must be to see if they 'like the cut of your jib' rather than suitability to the job. just trying to see if thats their way or I've been cursed with interviewers who are rubbish at interviewing.

Guest sh7t man no way
Nah, not stirred up just confused as hell. I've had 3 these past fortnight and they're nothing like I've ever had in the UK. I think they must be to see if they 'like the cut of your jib' rather than suitability to the job. just trying to see if thats their way or I've been cursed with interviewers who are rubbish at interviewing.

to me the secret of a pom being interviewed by an aussie,is to let the aussie have his own self importance,and superior attitude---and just agree with all this--never give an opinion how its done in the uk (this irritates the life out of them)--after all this is done,and at the end of the interview say to him you are very impressed with his knowledge,and expertise in the interviewing procedure---------i know its a bit of brown nosing,but this is what most aussies are like,you are just trying to fit in.:jiggy:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
to me the secret of a pom being interviewed by an aussie,is to let the aussie have his own self importance,and superior attitude---and just agree with all this--never give an opinion how its done in the uk (this irritates the life out of them)--after all this is done,and at the end of the interview say to him you are very impressed with his knowledge,and expertise in the interviewing procedure---------i know its a bit of brown nosing,but this is what most aussies are like,you are just trying to fit in.:jiggy:

QUALITY ADVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

JIM:wink:

I have to agree with that espcally in Brisbane lol

Guest proud2beaussie
never give an opinion how its done in the uk (this irritates the life out of them)-

Many years ago,before I became a travel agent,I was an executive chef at a hotel in Melbourne and it was my task to interview candidates for the position of second chef,one applicant was a British chef who had excellent references and qualifications,I could see that he had the training to do the job so I asked him a few questions about cookery,the first one was "How do you make a sponge cake batter"he started with saying "well in Europe we would"and proceeded to go into detail about how to make the sponge-quite correctly I should add,I then asked him what he would do to create a demi glace,again he started with 'well in Europe",I asked him a few more questions and he started every answer the same way,finally I had enough and asked him what relevance cookery practices in Europe had to Australian ingredients at a Sydney restaurant,he then said"well after all Europe is the centre of the universe when it comes to culinary excellence,nowhere else matters".

I finished the interview by asking him how in Europe you would tell someone that they hadn't got the job.

As for Australian interviews there is no secret really,be on time,dress appropriately(ie don't wear a suit if you are applying for a job as a plumber)have copies of your cv and references with you in case they haven't got them,answer the questions clearly and succintly and be polite-no need to go overboard though,in short I don't necessarily think an Australian interview should be very much different to a UK one.

Guest The Pom Queen
never give an opinion how its done in the uk (this irritates the life out of them)

Damn right. We had a new vet nurse come over from the UK and she accompanied me on my rounds and all the time all she kept saying was "in the UK we do it this way" I must have heard that well over 30 times, in the end I felt like telling her to go back to the UK and I am a pom, so I have no idea how the Australian's can put up with it:arghh:

Damn right. We had a new vet nurse come over from the UK and she accompanied me on my rounds and all the time all she kept saying was "in the UK we do it this way" I must have heard that well over 30 times, in the end I felt like telling her to go back to the UK and I am a pom, so I have no idea how the Australian's can put up with it:arghh:

I admit i was like that for a bit when i went shopping with the wife she said it in a nice way you dont live there any more so get over it lol (Admit i dont say it any more lol)

Hi its kelly (Ratchet)........

i agree with the sentiment but sometimes to fully explain yourself you do have to reference the uk......its all youve known if youve just come over here.....There is a way to 'say' it though ive noticed ........ i have to say I often get asked how it was done in the uk in comparison to here, but then our hospital is full of poms! So its home from home in some respects !!.

Guest proud2beaussie

I don't see anything wrong in making reference to previous work practices/experiences etc,infact I think (no evidence for this comment) that many Australian employers would be very interested to hear how some work practices differ in other parts of the world,but as kelly rightly points out it is how you say it that counts.

Guilty as charged!! I just started work here last week and that phrase is on the tip of my tongue most of the day, and I have let it slip umpteen times. In my defense - I am a newly qualified nurse, just started on a grad programme here ... in a profession such as nursing with so many rules and regulations with serious repercussions if you break them ... I think its only fair that you clear up the differences between Aus & UK guidelines. I have NEVER objected (so far) to doing something in favour of the UK methods - I think in the situations whereby I have used this phrase is to get my head round a procedure or the jargon. ie. "I would have done 'this' to 'that' in 'this' way in the UK ... is what im doing now basically the same and will give me the same result"? But I appreciate it must be extremely irritating to the nurses I am working with... TOUGH ****... I'll get over it soon, in the meantime they will have to be a little tolerant. I would and have done the same thing in the UK when moving from ward or department ... its a way of understanding what I am doing.

I don't see anything wrong in making reference to previous work practices/experiences etc,infact I think (no evidence for this comment) that many Australian employers would be very interested to hear how some work practices differ in other parts of the world,but as kelly rightly points out it is how you say it that counts.

Yes Nigel you have pretty much hit the nail on the head there. A lot of Australian companies, especially in the corporate world like to hire foreign nationals as they perceive that this adds another dimension, another depth to their standing in the business community. To an extent this is true as it does add an experience that is not wholly insular, and gives an opinion or expertise that will look at things in a slightly different manner. Then there is the whole snob attitude of, yeah that's Bob he comes from England/ New York/ Milan you know. I don't think Porta Prince will work though.

We have interviewed and hired a number of people from O/S on a different visa's overtime and I have found the above all creep in at sometime or the other. This is my experience where I work and it might be different in other places and companies.

Guest proud2beaussie
Goes to show what I know, they only offered me the bloody job !!!

Well done ! the important question is though ,are you going to take it?!:biggrin:

No question or doubt about it I've got a few odds and ends to sort out before I can sort out a start date. Its not just the money I need to work for my sanity (the past 5 months have been more of a rollercoaster than I'd care to admit). Everyone at home was saying oh to be a kept man that would be fantastic - no it most definately isn't. I'm kind of old fashioned in some ways if you aren't putting food on the table you are failing - no offence to housewives / husbands its just how I was raised, father with own company and a very strong work ethic. He would have done well out here.

Guest waynenicola

I am already polishing my nose in hope that one day in the very drawn out future i too may be able to kiss ass aussie style !!!!!!!!:laugh:

Guest sh7t man no way

in the uk we post differently m2m --we tend to do it in a more gramatic way--and with less emotion attached---just thought is tell you this:biglaugh:

Guest sh7t man no way
I am already polishing my nose in hope that one day in the very drawn out future i too may be able to kiss ass aussie style !!!!!!!!:laugh:

your getting there mate--well done--you can only impose your will,and thoughts if you are actually in a posotion to do so ( get the job):wubclub:

Archived