Looking for Help with Reccie Planning

floyd

Hi folks

I am constantly on PIO and find the forum very helpful and also entertaining.

I am currently in Glasgow freezing my balls off in one of the worst winters we've had and would like to live in a country where my family and I can lead an outdoor sporty life.

I have always dreamed about staying in Oz and unfortunately I haven't had the privilege to have visited.

I work as an Assistant Accountant and am studying toward my ACCA which I hope to finish by 2013. I also plan to sit the Oxford Brookes degree through the ACCA.

My partner and I have a 2 year old daughter and they both must be sick of my talking about moving away. However I now want to put my talking into action and I would up sticks and leave in a minute however my partner says that she wants to visit first before making such a big decision which is understandable.

Therefore we are in preliminary stages of planning a Reccie. Unfortunatley, due to financial constraints it'll be a couple of years before we can travel but I want to get moving ASAP.

I was looking for advice on where are the best places to go when booking such a trip and the type of costs involved, should we fly-drive or is it just too vast to do that. Also we would only have around 3 weeks in the country, I know it is not long.

Just looking for a few pointers and maybe some stories of your past experiences.

Thanks

PS Has anyone been accepted as an accountant with the ACCA approved OXford Brookes degree in Applied Accountancy.

Hi folks

I am currently in Glasgow freezing my balls off in one of the worst winters we've had and would like to live in a country where my family and I can lead an outdoor sporty life.

I have always dreamed about staying in Oz and unfortunately I haven't had the privilege to have visited.

I work as an Assistant Accountant and am studying toward my ACCA which I hope to finish by 2013. I also plan to sit the Oxford Brookes degree through the ACCA.

My partner and I have a 2 year old daughter and they both must be sick of my talking about moving away. However I now want to put my talking into action and I would up sticks and leave in a minute however my partner says that she wants to visit first before making such a big decision which is understandable.

Therefore we are in preliminary stages of planning a Reccie. Unfortunatley, due to financial constraints it'll be a couple of years before we can travel but I want to get moving ASAP.

I was looking for advice on where are the best places to go when booking such a trip and the type of costs involved, should we fly-drive or is it just too vast to do that. Also we would only have around 3 weeks in the country, I know it is not long.

Just looking for a few pointers and maybe some stories of your past experiences.

Thanks

PS Has anyone been accepted as an accountant with the ACCA approved OXford Brookes degree in Applied Accountancy.

Hiya floyd

We whittled it down to the type of place we wanted to go by researching things on the net.

I.E weather( i work outside),rainfall,crime rates,size of city(we wanted quieter/smaller),housing costs,employment prospects,in the end we decided on S.A,its not the ideal way to do it but i couldnt afford/or want to be visiting all the cities in australia.

Anyway from what we've seen on validation were happy enuf,who knows how it will be when we "live" there is anybodys guess,but thats how we done it anyway.

Guest Letasha

Hi Floyd my situation is very similar to yours in that

I want to move to Oz

Im studying ACCA

Have small kids 2 of

I live near u

Financial constraints are preventing my recce lol

Have you thought where abouts you and your family wd like? I have been researching this for about three yrs now so think im just about sorted with my plans now so anything you need need to know ask away.

Kind regards

Would suggest that you blokes give us a bit more info regarding your likes, lifestyle etc in order to give you the better places to visit.

I mean, if you like partying, cities...If you like bush walks, rural/country areas etc. Snow sports, Albury/Wodonga etc...

Remember, Australia is as big as Europe.

Cheers, Bobj.

Hi folks

Thanks

I dont know about your Oxford Brooks degree

My partner is fully ACCA qualified and got successfully assessed on that alone

Try Googling "The Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia", you can down load their PDF skills assessment application document

There are other accounting bodies, but we found that the best one for ACCA

Good luck

JT

Hi folks

I now want to put my talking into action and I would up sticks and leave in a minute however my partner says that she wants to visit first before making such a big decision which is understandable.

Also we would only have around 3 weeks in the country, I know it is not long.

Thanks

Our Australian adventure began with my OH talking non-stop about it until I eventually gave in! I also demanded a reccie too but because of work issues, we only managed two weeks there. To be honest, I don't think you will ever get a true feel until you are actually living there. For us, although we were researching schools and suburbs, we really did feel that we were in holiday mode so I suppose it'll never be that realistic! Needless to say, we loved the place and I was well and truly swayed - but there will always be that element of risk. Good luck to you :biggrin:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, im in a very similar situation.

Went backpacking about 6 yrs ago, and have felt a longing to return to Oz ever since. Have managed to convince my OH and his son to go on hols in Nov, (OH wont even consider emigration until hes visited, and his son turns 18, so another 3 years) and so we will be doing a bit of travelling about in the 4 weeks that we will be in Aus.

Due to the fact that emigration wont happen til step son is 18, I have taken the opportunity to go back to uni and am currently finishing my degree. Would be able to go to Aus on the strength of my office management experience, but am looking to open as many doors as possible for myself, and my family.

I am pinning all my hopes on the fact that they both love Aus, otherwise will be facing the very real realisation that I could be moving to the other side of the world alone!

Australia is such a vast country, and it is so diverse your better off going online and looking at the types of things you want. Personally, I want beach and sun, but found the East Coasts humidity alot to take the last time I was there....but am keeping my options open....I will be happy...just to be in Aus, and live a lifestyle where I can spend more time outside, than in!!!

Research is the best thing you can do, and look into what lifestyle you and your family want.

Best of luck

Donna

xx

Archived