How did you compare shipping quotes?

Guest laulau

Guest Mrs Nix

Interesting... has anyone shipped their cars over? Do you know how much? My husband wants to take his motor bike too as they are so much more expensive in Australia.

Also if you can take everything - I would say do! Things are expensive in Aus - When we were there last April I couldn't believe that most of the stuff including groceries were more expensive than in UK.

Anyone here made any final decisions yet? Our quotes (x4) start tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to it :no: Along with the fact that we also have our buyers mortgage and homebuyers surveys taking place this week, I think I'm gonna need a few stiff drinks to get me through the week :confused:

Guest floater

We finally went with Pickfords. They were probably the least wiling to move on price, but after much pushing they finally did. They are now booked, and so are the flights as of yesterday, Yikes!

We have booked PSS and they are coming in the 29th and 30th of this month........help!!just the insurance to sort out now!! .......I do think they all offer a similar service, and it comes down to cost and whether you like the person who comes to your house and you believe wether they will do a good job.....we have decided to take most things from the house as people keep saying how expensive things are also if your paying for a container than you might as well fill it to the top!! All of the companies we looked at all came down in price when I said we had had other quotes....so bargin hard.....good luck to you all.......Louise

Guest CraigandZoe
Interesting... has anyone shipped their cars over? Do you know how much? My husband wants to take his motor bike too as they are so much more expensive in Australia.

Also if you can take everything - I would say do! Things are expensive in Aus - When we were there last April I couldn't believe that most of the stuff including groceries were more expensive than in UK.

In short, car will set you back in the region of £4,000 from road to road. I can see the bike being mega money too but you might save a bit on shipping. Still cant be worth it unless he has something a bit special, such as a Ducati, Harley, or a classic. I am selling mine and will eventually buy a new one over there.

I wouldn’t say take everything is necessarily good advice, if your furniture costs a bomb or has significant sentimental value then fair play, but besides that you have to weight up whether it is worth it or not.

I wouldn’t say take everything is necessarily good advice, if your furniture costs a bomb or has significant sentimental value then fair play, but besides that you have to weight up whether it is worth it or not.

Hmmm - have to agree after the first quote we had (£3945 + ins) for sole use of a 20ft (but we are only able to fill up to 955cubic feet within this price) :wideeyed:Also the ins quote is a tad astronomical !!

We also asked the same company for a second quote with personal stuff and a couple of exrtra bits - salesman was openly less keen to do that and guess what - there was no quote for our second request when they e-mailed our info! Strange that :arghh:

Another one tomorrow ..... at the moment though, there is no way our stuff is worth the cost of the shipping :nah:

Guest CraigandZoe

Hey myrtle1, think we are looking at under 200 cubic feet at the moment, maybe just over. Still costing a fair bit though, not decided yet. Wanted to get an initial idea. Think I have 2 or 3 places in mind to come out closer to the time.

Wife talking about booking the flights soon, cripes its all getting a bit real! :) Exciting stuff though eh? ;)

Hey myrtle1, think we are looking at under 200 cubic feet at the moment, maybe just over. Still costing a fair bit though, not decided yet. Wanted to get an initial idea. Think I have 2 or 3 places in mind to come out closer to the time.

Wife talking about booking the flights soon, cripes its all getting a bit real! :) Exciting stuff though eh? ;)

Hi Craig

D'you think you could pm me a rough guide to how much for your 200 cubic feet?

We have also started to consider Seven Seas (who were recommended) as they do tea chests size boxes and book boxes!

Will feel so much happier when we have made this decision - it's starting to bug me a bit :unsure: (I hate being indecisive - it's so not me usually! :nah:)

Guest Mrs Nix
In short, car will set you back in the region of £4,000 from road to road. I can see the bike being mega money too but you might save a bit on shipping. Still cant be worth it unless he has something a bit special, such as a Ducati, Harley, or a classic. I am selling mine and will eventually buy a new one over there.

Hi we got a quote for the bike to Sydney around the region of 850 quid and the car 1500 quid, that is not including insurance and a whole bunch of other unseen costs. Will have to get those quotes and weigh up whether or not its worth it. No the bike and car aren't particularly special but looking at prices of cars and bikes of the same type they are more than the shipping so far....lots to think about but at least we have time.

Guest chris955

I would say it would have to be some more special than a Harley to warrant the cost to be honest. Same with a Ducati to some extent. Harleys are like Fords over here so not worth bothering with unless a special one.

Guest adeleclayte

Hi guys, we immigrated 5 years ago. We bought all our furniture apart from white goods and left kids bikes etc. We used Crown and they were excellent. I think it is a good idea to bring some furniture, I don't find the furniture that expensive overhere in Brissie and I wouldn't bring any old tvs as we had a new panasonic that we had just bought (less than a year old) and we can't get the sound right here so use it for the kids playstation games. Have you guys got jobs to come to in September and do you know where you are going to stay? Regards Adele

Hi, I have posted on here before re shipping my hubbys car and 2 bikes. We def want to take them as his car is twice as much to buy in oz, been checking out car websites(range rover sport) Laughable, reading previous posts but he has a special edition ducati only a few made and a Fatboy Harley sentimental value as has done photo shoots. To our dissapointment someone told me you can only import 1 vehicle and after nov 10 the new law is 1 every 5yrs. Hubby is gutted. Not got visa yet but will make more enquiries with shipping companies nearer time, but last year had quote from anglo pacific and they never mentioned anything about 1 vehicle.Hope it not truex

Archived