How did you compare shipping quotes?

Guest laulau

Hello!

I'm just going through the arduous process of having the shipping companies around the house to carry out a survey of the goods we plan to take to oz with us.

Would be very interested to hear:

What sort of things did you compare shipping company quotes on?

Do you have a list you might be able to share with me?:wacko:

I've only seen Pickfords and John Mason so far, but they're already quoting different volume sizes for exactly the same stuff!

Many thanks in advance for your replies!

Laulau

Guest guest33730
Hello!

I'm just going through the arduous process of having the shipping companies around the house to carry out a survey of the goods we plan to take to oz with us.

Would be very interested to hear:

What sort of things did you compare shipping company quotes on?

Do you have a list you might be able to share with me?:wacko:

I've only seen Pickfords and John Mason so far, but they're already quoting different volume sizes for exactly the same stuff!

Many thanks in advance for your replies!

Laulau

Most of them are the same however Crown include the quarantine inspection fee in their's also it might be an idea to check insurance cover - so far I have found this to be much cheaper online rather than with the removal companies.

I have heard of people accepting quotes based on a lower volume but then when the container is packed they then say the volume is greater and bump up the price - hopefully the larger reputable companies will be fine. We have just got all our prices for a 20ft container and are just going through them to decide which one we want to go with.

So far PSS are the cheapest but they sub out a lot of the work, Doree Bonner are just behind with crown and Pickfords bringing up the rear.

All of them except for Pickfords were willing to knock a few hunded off their initial quote so haggle hard.

All the best

Daniel

Thanks for the info Daniel, useful stuff!

However, have you any tips on how to haggle?

thanks! Laulau:biggrin:

Good advice from Daniel - when haggling just tell them you have other quotes that are less than theirs and ask outright what their best price is. I believe Doree Bonner has mildew damage cover as standard which some shippers don't. Check for little extras like that when making your comparisons.

Sue x

Guest guest33730
Thanks for the info Daniel, useful stuff!

However, have you any tips on how to haggle?

thanks! Laulau:biggrin:

I'll PM you because I haven't finalised things yet and the shipping agents read these threads

Daniel

hi there we have shipped our worldly goods with white and company , over in the uk they were very professional and cheaper than crown etc and at the mo is currently being tracked across the big pond i will let you know how we get on this side !!!

Guest tramway
hi there we have shipped our worldly goods with white and company , over in the uk they were very professional and cheaper than crown etc and at the mo is currently being tracked across the big pond i will let you know how we get on this side !!!

Hi just wondering based on our quote from them did they quote you a 20ft FCL??? or did they have specific volume quoted? They have quoted us £3400 FCL which is around 700 cu ft by other agents recs?

They are the only 1 out of 6 that have said FCL all others are around 700 cu ft ish for sole 20ft and specific price.

I also see that they have small print that seems to say nothing extra is included so bit dubious about having to pay loads extra in Oz?

Thanks

Hi , this is all new to us, really just started to think about. Do you get different kind sof quote ? Is it not a case of paying for a 20ft container and filling it ? From other comments seems to also be a quote based on volume even if you are taking the whole container. Also is it better to take removers insurance ie because less dispute as they do everything or doesn't it make any difference , and if no difference any names anyone can suggest to look into ? Apologies as I say new to thinking about this now.

Hi just wondering based on our quote from them did they quote you a 20ft FCL??? or did they have specific volume quoted? They have quoted us £3400 FCL which is around 700 cu ft by other agents recs?

They are the only 1 out of 6 that have said FCL all others are around 700 cu ft ish for sole 20ft and specific price.

I also see that they have small print that seems to say nothing extra is included so bit dubious about having to pay loads extra in Oz?

Thanks

hi we paid 3400 for full 20ft container and they filled it to the brim xx and extra £300 for insurance good luck with your search xx

carole x

Guest lorikeet00

I too am in the process of collecting these. How did you find out that PSS sub contract ? You are right...they seem a lot cheaper than some of the others. Also has anyone out there used PSS recently ?? Your opinion would be greatly appreciated !!!

Just got Crown & Pickfords to quote. Both were about £6,500 for a 40 foot container. (Crown was higher but included the inspection fee at the Australia end).

Crown came up with 1600 cubic feet (two separate people both came up with this as there was a trainee out) and Pickfords was 1800 cubic feet.

Insurance is charged by the cubic metre!! (divide by 35)

We went with Crown. They wouldn't haggle on the shipping part but reduced their insurance quote by 0.5% so we got the "full monty" for standard cover price then haggled them down a bit further. Basically got the items valued at over £1,000 portion free and no £100 excess if we are in the unfortunate position of having to claim at the other end.

There are companies that will do your insurance for less (search other posts) but Crown covers from the minute the guys set foot in your house whereas internet quotes may only cover the goods when in transit. Just check that you are comparing apples with apples.

Finally, we were told it will take 3.5 to 4 days to export wrap and inventorise (goes to Oz ahead of your container in case AQIS think anything is worthy of a more detailed look) our 4 bed house so factor this into your plans.

Guest floater

I wanted to go with Pickfords but they won't move on there price so now i'm looking for other companies to quote. So far £3700 plus storage seems to be the average for a 20ft GP to perth.

Guest guest33730
I wanted to go with Pickfords but they won't move on there price so now i'm looking for other companies to quote. So far £3700 plus storage seems to be the average for a 20ft GP to perth.

Yeah - I found Pickfords the least willing to budge on price, in fact their quote is now the most expensive (i.e. more than Doree Bonner & Crown) which surprised me because they had been coming up as the cheapest on here until recently.

PSS currently the cheapest but not necessarily my favoured option as they seem to sub-contract much of the work.

Daniel

Pickfords guy was willing to "discuss the insurance" when I phoned to tell him we were going to use Crown but told him not to bother as we got a better general impression from the Crown people and used them for a domestic removal including a period in storage eight years ago.

Maybe they (as in the removal companies in general) are reading posts on this forum as it seems to be getting harder to play hardball with them.

I don't think the world economy has picked up sufficiently to make container space more expensive again so not sure why they are not falling over themselves for the business.

Guest guest33730
Pickfords guy was willing to "discuss the insurance" when I phoned to tell him we were going to use Crown but told him not to bother as we got a better general impression from the Crown people and used them for a domestic removal including a period in storage eight years ago.

Maybe they (as in the removal companies in general) are reading posts on this forum as it seems to be getting harder to play hardball with them.

I don't think the world economy has picked up sufficiently to make container space more expensive again so not sure why they are not falling over themselves for the business.

My experience has been that ONLY Pickfords have been un-willing to revise their price after discussion - My quotes from the others are all now in line with whats been quoted on here recently (I think a couple are actually better)

Daniel

Guest CraigandZoe

Hey all, at this stage now guys

At first I had in my mind that we would just ship 5/6 decent size boxes. Now as my wife and I are talking more and more we are looking at getting quotes on our bed and bedroom furniture and perhaps on our sofas. All were not mega expensive but we were thinking that it would be nice to have some familiar things from home still, just to help with the transition. It isn’t going to be a full container job, think it will be half at most.

Is it not going to be worth the hassle (+ price wise) to ship furniture? Is good quality furniture particularly expensive over in Oz or no more so than in the UK?

Cheers all

Craig

Hey all, at this stage now guys

At first I had in my mind that we would just ship 5/6 decent size boxes. Now as my wife and I are talking more and more we are looking at getting quotes on our bed and bedroom furniture and perhaps on our sofas. All were not mega expensive but we were thinking that it would be nice to have some familiar things from home still, just to help with the transition. It isn’t going to be a full container job, think it will be half at most.

Is it not going to be worth the hassle (+ price wise) to ship furniture? Is good quality furniture particularly expensive over in Oz or no more so than in the UK?

Cheers all

Craig

Hi Craig

We are in a very similar situation to you - both in heading to brissy and dithering over the shipping quantity. Much of our furniture is old and due for replacement and we have been looking at online furniture sites in brissy to gauge costs. In our mind, we will prob draw even (cost-wise) whether we shop or buy there. If we have to wait for the container anyway, then we have thought we might be better just to buy there. Having said that, we both hate furniture shopping at the best of times and wouldn't relish buying loads of bits all at the same time. One minute we are taking almost everything, the next we are going with only personal belongings and kitchen utensils and smaller things like tools etc - not big furniture. We are constantly changing our decision but have booked shipping people to give us quotes from 1st March and are hoping we can decide from there.

Guest CraigandZoe

Hey myrtle1, sounds all too familiar! We have had a quote from Excess Baggage Company for about £1200 for the furniture, I didn’t think that sounded to bad for 2 sofas, 2 bed side tables, one king size bed and a dressing table. Its the only furniture we bought brand new in our first (and so far only) house so it would be nice to take it over there. I need to perhaps have a browse on some furniture web sites for the Brisbane area. Waiting for PSS and Bonner to come back to me.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CraigandZoe

Bonner have come out with the cheapest so far, just fired out quotes from another three though. PSS havent seem interested in my custom so far so have tried once more. Are Doree Bonner ok to go with? We will only be doing a part container shipment but have a few more bits than we first thought to go out.

Hi

I've seen six removal companies over the last few weeks. Put in a few hours of my time to see them, but it's been worth it I reckon.

So far I've been impressed with the sales pitch of Crown and PSS the most. The sales rep from Pickfords was really arrogant and made me feel like a ten year old! John Mason were ok but I got the feeling they weren't as polished in the whole process as Crown.

I actually liked the reps from Crown and PSS the most but when I've weighed up what services they offer, I think Crown offer the best (including AQIS fees).

I was a bit doubtful about the 15pound optional charge for container cleansing. Apparently the container can be cleaned externally if deemed appropriate by customs. John Mason reckon it's worth paying it or else you could be stung with a bill for $500 but I haven't come across this with any other shipping company in their quotes I have to say!

We also weighed up whether we should take our furniture with us and got the removal companies to give us a quote for the whole lot and quote less all our furniture. The difference in cost wasn't that much of an incentive for us to not take it with us...

Then we did a cost comparison on some websites in oz to see how much it would cost to replace all our furniture. Turns out it would cost us a lot more in oz to replace everything and the cost of shipping more then covers the cost of shipping out our furniture so we are deffo sending it all out rather than having to go through the palaver of buying it all again once out there!

Feel like I"m spending all my time planning / researching / dejunking at the moment. Finding any spare time I can to do it all as I have a fun but very active toddler to look after during the day! I'm sure it will be worth it in the end, but feel like it's never ending at the moment!

cheers to you all, laulau :jiggy:

Bonner have come out with the cheapest so far, just fired out quotes from another three though. PSS havent seem interested in my custom so far so have tried once more. Are Doree Bonner ok to go with? We will only be doing a part container shipment but have a few more bits than we first thought to go out.

Me again ...

I have Crown, Pickfords, Doree Bonner and John Mason all coming next week - fun, fun, fun! I must admit, I have only seen good reports about Doree Bonner. I stayed at a close friends last Thursay and she convinced me to ship only personal belongings rather than furniture as well. I thought I was doing well as up until yesterday I was gonna follow her plan - since this morning though, I have started to think we might take it all :arghh:

I'm hoping for a breakthrough when all the quotes come in - banking on having a clear moment when the decision will just fall into place - here's hoping! would love to follow your progress on this x

Hi Myrtle,

Yes will keep you posted, I feel Crown really is the best but hoping they'll come down in price a bit.

This forum is so great, it's so good to know everyone is in the same boat!

cheers

laulau:hug:

Guest CraigandZoe

Thanks for your post laulau, Crown have just blown Doree Bonner's quote out of the water as well, miles cheaper than anyone else. Glad to hear that they seemed ok. Anyone used them on here and can recomend that they were good?

Keep us posted myrtle1, I will drop you a PM when we have all the quotes through and we have decided.

Thanks for your post laulau, Crown have just blown Doree Bonner's quote out of the water as well, miles cheaper than anyone else. Glad to hear that they seemed ok. Anyone used them on here and can recomend that they were good?

Keep us posted myrtle1, I will drop you a PM when we have all the quotes through and we have decided.

Think Crown are coming up top with me at the mo, but obviously had no quotes yet. They offered loads of advice by phone and sent really useful info with regard to box sizes etc.

Happy Deciding :biggrin:

Guest CraigandZoe
Think Crown are coming up top with me at the mo, but obviously had no quotes yet. They offered loads of advice by phone and sent really useful info with regard to box sizes etc.

Happy Deciding :biggrin:

Indeed, very quick to reply and as I mentioned before, the price seems very good.:biggrin:

Archived