jobs 'n' pay

Guest michele'n'michael

Guest michele'n'michael

Hi all' i'm a bit concerned. I've just heard from a reliable source that her friends want to come back from Oz. He's apparently a brickie & out there with his wife & 3 small children . Apparently the only reason there's a skill shortage in Oz is because the pay for skilled workers is so bad the Aussies wont do the jobs!! His skills aren't recognised in Oz therefore he's having to sit exams & training at his own expense 'cos his certs etc aren't recignised over there. They're now supposedly so skint cos he's only been earning the equivalent of £70 per day & can't afford to return home!!

What do you make of that? It certainly made me worry(mind I'll always find something to worry about!!) Michele xx:huh:

Guest The Baggo's

Oh my God! that is worrying! Wondering where your friends are? Find it really confusing that you pass your TRA but still have to re take exams. OH is a plasterer - starting to get worried if he will have to be re assessed once there etc. I have also heard of another family seriously considering coming home because they recon they are getting far too much stick being POMS?? Hearing things really does make you re think what a massive step we are taking (we also have 3 young girlies). Think we are really gonna have to keep that stiff British upper lip!

Hi all' i'm a bit concerned. I've just heard from a reliable source that her friends want to come back from Oz. He's apparently a brickie & out there with his wife & 3 small children . Apparently the only reason there's a skill shortage in Oz is because the pay for skilled workers is so bad the Aussies wont do the jobs!! His skills aren't recognised in Oz therefore he's having to sit exams & training at his own expense 'cos his certs etc aren't recignised over there. They're now supposedly so skint cos he's only been earning the equivalent of £70 per day & can't afford to return home!!

What do you make of that? It certainly made me worry(mind I'll always find something to worry about!!) Michele xx:huh:

Sadly it is very true' date=' my hubby is in construction (carpenter by trade) and yes alot of the uk skills are not reconised out here in oz, and also alot of peeps are having to sit exams and training and you do need alot of certificates to be able to all types of construction work, saying that when my hubby first came to oz City & Guilds was a reconsied certificate here and proved no problems (not sure if thats changed) it seems to be a case of getting into a trade and proving yourself on site that you are capable of doing the job properly and too a standard that is expected, this is how some friends of ours managed to get work here in oz in constrction[/color']

Guest the pearcys

oh dear ! this doesnt sound good at all.

can you tell me how his skills as a bricklayer were not recognised?

was the fact that he was on £70 a day that he wasnt a proper bricklayer or is the reality that the grass is not that much greener over there?

As far as we are away in any trade be it electrician/plumber/carpenter etc if you do not have the right qualifacations then the way to go is to go to Tafe and complete a course,

an example of this is Bricklayer 4427 Bricklaying/Blocklaying - Certificate III (AQF) 7929 Heritage Brickwork - Post Trade - Certificate III (AQF) 7927 Heritage Overview - Short Course 7965 Heritage Stonemasonry - Post Trade - Certificate III (AQF) 24755 Safe Working at Heights - TAFE PLUS Statement

would imagaine similar to the NVQ system back in the uk, OH does say that alot of work here is not what you know but who you know and a good bit of luck

We had a guy round this morning to give us a quote to redo our bathroom. He's from UK, he had to go to college to do a plumbers course for 6 months despite having done it in UK for 18 years (at his own expense), he said the practise isn't as good as UK.

Ali

Guest michele'n'michael
We had a guy round this morning to give us a quote to redo our bathroom. He's from UK, he had to go to college to do a plumbers course for 6 months despite having done it in UK for 18 years (at his own expense), he said the practise isn't as good as UK.

Ali

Did he still maqnage to work while re-training do you know??

We have been researching from when we decided we were going to think about going to oz and we watched Wanted Down Under, and on that program it told you that you have to start at the bottom in most of the trades and skills and work your way up again, hence the low pay but we really really want to go so we will manage and we are going with our eyes wide open knowing the pro's and cons :rolleyes::spinny::wubclub:

Guest Abi&Dan

We've spotted this too - I get the impression that TRA just say - ooh yes you're super and can come but don't say a word about other mandatory qualifications to get the real money.

However, surely agents mention stuff like this in advance? I've heard of quite a few tradesmen being completely unaware until they get there and try to get work.

However, the registration exams (they have long waiting lists) can be booked on line so you can have it set up for when you arrive rather than having to work at the really low rates for months while waiting.

It's a lot of work but hopefully worth it for the big picture :unsure:

Guest fatpom

I keep reading about tradesmen who are having difficulty getting work due to not meeting the minimum requirements?

As far as I'm aware if you've done a recognised 4 years apprenticeship & done the required amount of college/day release study you should easily meet the requirements since the Aussie trade apprenticeship system is based on the British indentured apprenticeship system. Brits should have it easier than any other migrant group.

If you haven't done the minimum (& I know a lot of pommy tradesman don't... my two bros are good examples of ducking out of college early) then its perfectly reasonable for Australia to expect you to complete before letting you loose. It only took 2-3 weeks for my trade recognition cert to be issued once resident in Aus.

In my experience its not the case that you'll start back at the bottom but you won't go in at the top either... there will be a lot of Aussie tradesmen better trained, better equiped and with better local experence which requires time for you to catch up.

My advice is whatever you do don't whine about it once your here... it won't endear you to anyone & you won't get a sympathetic ear... just a polite silence if your lucky :)

Guest Dave53

I have to agree with Gizmo's comments from a previous post . I was an apprenticed Telecomms engineer in GB , spent many years post graduate in BT before relocating here .Boy did I get a shock on arrival in Australia . Firstly , although my qualifications were recognised , I had to wait 6 months before I had official confirmation of such , and no one would employ me in the field until I did . The cruncher was though , that when I did secure employment in my field I earned 50% LESS than I did in Britain , and that was after a lot of bargaining . Concidering that house prices are relatively similar , and the cost of living is about the same as in Britain , it doesn't take Einstein to work out that times were tough . This was a few years ago I add , although having said that , it is also a fact that I have never caught up with the wage levels of my ex work colleagues back in Britain , who still enjoy a much higher wage than I .That GBP70/ day wage mentioned in the opening post would seem about right I think in todays financial climate .... Not a lot is it !! ...

Guest GARY ZENA

The Thing Is It Is Not True The Aussies Are Work Shy, I Have Been Here A Few Months Now And Have Found That Whereever There Is Work Aussies Are Not Worried About Living Away From Home For Months On End To Get It, For As Little As $17 Per Hour In Some Cases.

I Am In Mackay Qld And I Only Meet 2 In 10 Who Are Actually From Here, Most Are From Victoria, Nsw And Brisbane.

Don't Be Fooled Its Not Handed On A Plate You, Just Have To Have A Look For Yourself Instead Of Kicking Yourself For The Rest Of Your Life For Not Having A Look.

Mackay Is Booming At The Moment And All Trades Are Getting Good Money But No More Than You Would Earn In The Uk In Most Cases.

Best Of Luck Gary

My OH is fully expecting and prepared to do some further study in Oz before being let loose. He did his full City & Guilds Training (including advanced level) along with 4 yr apprenticeship and has been working in job for 20+ yrs however it is slightly different in Oz and its only right we feel that you should be expected to undergo training to bring you into line with Aussie ways. After all, whos happy about all the eastern europeans etc coming over here and doing same job as us without proper training? We are sure that it will also be the case over here soon that those qualifications are redundant and he will have to do new courses in order to keep working/have a licence.

My only gripe is that its a bit of a headache trying to find out how and where etc this can be done. Personally think it would be really useful if TRA provided this info when assessment is passed. l am given to understand that sparks can do their training online or before going out there, would be excellent if plumbers could too.

As for wages, we were aware that earnings were a lot less and are just thankful that we hopefully will be lucky enough to go there mortgage free, otherwise l do think it would be close to impossible to make it work. Therefore do we assume that the reason my OH's job is on the MODL is because the wages are so low that the Aussies dont fancy it?

Lyn

Guest The Boultons

Could anyone tell me how I go about getting a trade recognition for Bricklaying? How do I go about it on line?

Called my case officer and she didn't know how I could do this just suggested that I finish my City in Guilds I started 20 years ago. I thought that they didn't exist anymore?

Many thanks - Bill

Guest fatpom
Therefore do we assume that the reason my OH's job is on the MODL is because the wages are so low that the Aussies dont fancy it?

Lyn

Very good point Lynandsean!

It's either that or wages are too high for business liking & one way to put downwards pressure on earnings is to increase supply ;)

Contrary to what I read about trade wages being low I think they are at all time high for construction trades. For example if I contracted a chippy & a toolmaker for a job I'd almost certainly be paying the chippy more per hour. Without being a insulting to a chippy I think the toolmaker is more skilled (he has to do more college years for starters). The reason construction workers are paid so well is largely due to strong construction unions. The current gov (which is as thatcherite as Thatcher ever was) has tried to weaken them for years now with little success. :)

Guest GARY ZENA
Could anyone tell me how I go about getting a trade recognition for Bricklaying? How do I go about it on line?

Called my case officer and she didn't know how I could do this just suggested that I finish my City in Guilds I started 20 years ago. I thought that they didn't exist anymore?

Many thanks - Bill

To get trade recognition for bricklaying you have to get references from previous emloyers or customers going back at least 5 years. If you were employed or a sub-contractor this works the same, getting a reference from a accountant saying he has dealt with you in the past and knows you personally really helps.

Firstly you have to be in that trade for at least 4 years of the last 5 and have references to back this up, all references must be dated with your occupation stated and the persons name, position and signiture who is writing it, it must be on headed paper.

Feel free to send a PM if you have any querries.

Who is your agent?

Gary (Mackay QLD)

Guest The Boultons

Sorry, I mean caseworker at the visa bureau. Got all the references going back to when I was a young lad from just starting out to present day - so have covered all that for the visa application. Just reading this thread it sounded like having done all this and getting it ready to send off for my TRA application, if and when I get my visa because I don't have my City in Guilds even though I am a bricklayer and have been since leaving college I will struggle over in aus to get bricklaying work if I haven't got a formal qualification. I really wanted to know what this thing is that you can apply on line for?

I understand and am not expecting to walk into a high faluting job, just would rather not go back to being a labourer when I've been laying bricks for over 20 years.

Sounding a bit of a thick brickie aren't I?

Bill

A general reply is that quals alone do not get TRA skills assessment, yet experience alone is often good enough. A successful assessment is based on relevant skills and experience that match the Oz equivalent, and are demonstrable (and relatively recent).

Some vocations, professions etc. require state registration (when Oz gets rid of the states could make things easier but unlikely) and incomes vary from region to region, huge shortages inland regional cities.

See this for an idea http://jobsearch.gov.au/joboutlook

There are regions which are popular both for local and international people to live, but can affect the job market.

The skills shortage is due to both demographics like rest of developed world and too many opportunities. Apparently, I heard via Melbourne that 50% of Oz apprentices drop out of training because they can earn more doing unskilled work.

With friend and family who are tradespeople the normal pathway is few years very low wages while training, another few years bit better, until getting near top of award pay scale, then ideally you start sub contracting with own team, that is the real money :)

There are more traditional trades courses coming onto CRICOS (international students), e.g. bricklaying, cabinet making, carpentry, automotive, air con etc., especially Melbourne, and that way you not only train through Oz system but get intimate industry exposure, and work.

Archived