TFN, Medicare etc

samozsoon

Hi good folks of PiO

I have a few questions I was hoping some of you could answer pleeeeaaase.

We are going to validate visas in June and are looking (hoping) to move around end of year.

So when we go in June can we:

1, Apply for our Tax File Number?

2, Get our Oz (qld) Driving Licenses? (and what happens if we end up in Mel?)

3, Register for Medicare?

Eerrmm, I think thats it for now. Thanks.

Sam xx

Sam I could be wrong but I think they keep your UK license when you go for your oz license. Hopefully, someone a little more in the know will be along to help.

Can't think of a reason why you couldn't get a tax file number but you have to allow 10 working days after your arrival in oz to register for medicare.

Hope this helps a little

Felicity:cute:

Sam...just a thought....but wouldn't you need to provide evidence of a permanent residential address for some of these?...and as you are only going on holiday to validate you would not have these???!!!

min x:cute:

Sam...just a thought....but wouldn't you need to provide evidence of a permanent residential address for some of these?...and as you are only going on holiday to validate you would not have these???!!!

min x:cute:

Wont it be ok to give my moms address?

My mom has got loads of forms for us to fill in for Medicare, TFN etc.

Just wandered if it was allowed.

Thanks both Sam xx

Hiya ,,queensland transport wont keep your uk licence but if your unsure where to settle i wouldnt exchange yet ,you can drive on your uk one for a few month ,,for medicare and tfn you can give your mums adress then change it when you have your own ,we did this and its fine ,your medicare card is also a good form of id over here.hope this helps

Cal x

Guest BullcreekBob
Hi good folks of PiO

I have a few questions I was hoping some of you could answer pleeeeaaase.

We are going to validate visas in June and are looking (hoping) to move around end of year.

So when we go in June can we:

1, Apply for our Tax File Number?

2, Get our Oz (qld) Driving Licenses? (and what happens if we end up in Mel?)

3, Register for Medicare?

Eerrmm, I think thats it for now. Thanks.

Sam xx

G'day

Getting a TFN and Medicare and a bank account are good things to do. I wouldn't bother with the drivers license till you know where you're going to end up.

The other thing I would think of doing is getting an ABN. If you or or your partner are ever going to be self employed, or sub-contractors rather than salaried employees. There are some definate advantages in setting up an ABN as early as possible, including better access to mortgages.

Some housing lenders, give better rates to people who whave had an ABN for longer than a year. Some banks will only lend to people who have had their ABN for more than two years.

Just something else to think about.

Guest thekeg95

Hi Sam

you may as well get all 3. The qld gov will not take your UK licence so if you get a 12 month licence you can renew it to which ever state you finnish up in. It also gives you the option of which licence you show in case of any misshaps. if any of you want to upgrade to a truck licence then some of them require you to have held a car licence for 12 months first

Steve

Thanks Steve

Cant see me wanting a truck license but you never know, think we will add it to the list of things to do and see how we go.

Just trying to get a few things out of the way so when we do the BIG move it'll be a few things less to worry about.

Would anyone know whether a 17 yr old with a full license will just be able to get an Oz one without doing another test?

Thanks again everyone Sam xx

I agree with Bob, wait until you know where you're going to end up for the licence and that way you'll only have to pay one fee. You can drive on a UK one for 3 months I think

Ali

Archived