Buying an expensive TV- should I buy in UK and ship or buy in in Oz

millievanilli

Hi Guys,

About to move to Sydney on 10th Jan and we are shipping a load of stuff over. My boyf wants to buy a fancy a TV and I wondered if it made more sense to buy here and ship over along with the rest of our stuff or buy there? I have heard electronics are much more in Oz...

Just bought a Wii over here so maybe it wont work on an Ozzie TV if we buy over there, anyone have experience of this?

thanks for any advice!

millie x

Guest golden grahams

Hi

we brought a 52" plazma over with our stuff, we had to take out extra insurance and get it crated, it arrived safley and works fine, however you can pick up TV 's of equivalant standard and price, so unless it is a desperate buy at the moment i would wait, that way you save on the insrance, crate and worry it might get damaged, plus if you buy here you will get the warranty, which will be none and void if you ship out a new UK one.

your Wii will work fine on OZ TV's

Guest Guest31881

Hi,

I would agree with 'Golden Grahams', if buy one and bring it over, the guarentee will be void and they are not that expensive here, just one tip, when you go shopping for anything new here like a TV do not just pay the price they are advertised at. ask about a discount and haggle to get the price down.

not sure about the Wii but it should work on any tv/monitor. As for the TV, they are not much dearer here than the UK especially in the sales. You will need a TV before your shipment arrives so you may as well buy one here. If you are going to be buying other electricals when you get here you should be able to get a discount for 'bulk buying'.:wink:

Hi,

I would agree with 'Golden Grahams', if buy one and bring it over, the guarentee will be void and they are not that expensive here, just one tip, when you go shopping for anything new here like a TV do not just pay the price they are advertised at. ask about a discount and haggle to get the price down.

i too agree with golden and srp.

we haggled a good deal in good guys, and our uk wii works fine on it. buy in oz, plus if you want buy on a low or interest free credit to boost your credit score in oz.

When you're saying that the price is similar in Australia as in the UK, what exchange rate are you using to work this out? Are you taking into account the fact that the value of the pound has dropped by about 20% in the last 9 months?

Mike

I'm sure the WII will work. I bought a couple of games when in Singapore and had to buy a disc called 'freeloader' which I have to insert first, before I insert the games bought from Singapore. I understand its the same for America. But you shouldn't have any problem playing the WII. We also took it to south africa last year and it worked fine. If you intend to buy games over there, it might be worth buying one of the freeloader CD's I got it form our local games shop and cost about a tenner.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hels5116

I bought a 42 inch plasma shortly before xmas for $950, which I thought was reasonable not having ever bought a TV in the UK. I brought my Wii over from the UK which works fine, and Aussie games work in it too.

It was on telly the other night (A Current Affair, current affairs programme lol) that tvs in Aus are at their most affordable now, due to the strength of the AU dollar against other countries from which they are imported. I'd hang on too. We paid about $1100 for a 40" LCD in September from The Good Guys, but they may be a touch cheaper now with the sales on. We paid $600 for a 32" LCD from Dick Smith, which is now retailing at $550.

The Good Guys

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/

Slightly off subject, but our UK XBOX 360 works fine with Aus TVs and games.

Jo x

i too agree with golden and srp.

we haggled a good deal in good guys, and our uk wii works fine on it. buy in oz, plus if you want buy on a low or interest free credit to boost your credit score in oz.

Unfortunately taking the credit will actually only reduce your credit score here. You start with a perfect record then any credit taken out reduces this, too many applications in a short period ($ amount of the credit is irrelevant) will put a very big red flag on your credit file. The more credit taken out the less you will be allowed to borrow regardless of whether you have paid back on time.

Mortgage borrowing capabilities take into consideration the amount of credit you have available (so you total credit card limit) rather than the amount owed. A credit card limit of $20k can easily reduce your allowable mortgage by $100k even if you haven't used the card for 6 months!

Also watch out for the monthly fees on the interest free loans here as they can be significant and often outweigh any interest paid by keeping the money in a savings account.

Guest mandurah

Hi we bought a Samsung 42" plasma over with us from UK and it arrived safely and worked fine but we could not pick up any channels despite being HD we got sound but the pictures were shocking all fuzzy and pixelated. We had to buy a set top box in Aus for the Tv to work properly the set top box cost around $120. A bit of a pain seens the tv is on the wall and we now have to have set top box sat directly underneath it.

Guest tom and laura in oz

Hi,

just so you know when good guys say 'less for cash' that means anything except interest free payment plans - so it includes credit cards. and you do have a lot of pulling power to bargin there too. (more so than JB hifi i believe)

oh and we use my partner's beloved PS3 (that came back as hand luggage on our first trip back to the UK!!) it works fine on both our australian tv's - it doesnt however like the region of any of my dvd's.

LK x

Guest hutchuk

If you don't mind me asking - how much did it cost to ship your LCD to Oz? We have a 40" plasma we bought here in London, and we don't know whether to sell it and buy a new one on our arrival in Oz, or to ship it?

Archived