Anyone gone back to UK and hated it?

Guest michelledenham

Hi Quoll.

itcouldbeworse beat me to it, but i am mostly in agreement with the things said. The pound is so chronic against most other countries currency at the moment that even Australia is looking dodgy to go and live there at the moment. My reasons of why i wouldn't go to spain are also based on having 2 kids and i want them to go to a country where they speak the language and can get good jobs when they leave education, which rules out spain and the uk. This is only my view and others won't agree, but i am convinced that Australia is one of, if not the best place to go and live in the world currently. As for the houses near the sea being dear, i live 100 km away in the UK, so for $400,000 dolars i can live about 10 to 15km away from the sea in Australia and the house would be worth 400,000 pounds here in the uk, check realestate.com.au theres hundreds of fabulous 4 bedroom houses on there.

jim:biggrin:

LOL sorry, my tongue was in my cheek when I wrote - knowing that Spain had gone down the gurgler recently and you can pick up a villa for pennies almost.

Dont take realestate.com.au at face value btw - what looks fantastic on a website is often not a place you actually want to live in. Also, take into account where you work and how far you will have to travel to one of those homes. I have looked at some fantastic homes with acreage around the $400k mark but chances of you finding a job within cooee are next to none. You would be struggling to get anything decent for less than $400k here in Canberra for example and the other big cities are just as bad. With interest rates on the way up, and traditionally much higher than UK mortgage rates, I certainly wouldnt want to be taking out a mortgage that size - if you have that much cash then go for it (I'd call that being minted!)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL sorry, my tongue was in my cheek when I wrote - knowing that Spain had gone down the gurgler recently and you can pick up a villa for pennies almost.

Dont take realestate.com.au at face value btw - what looks fantastic on a website is often not a place you actually want to live in. Also, take into account where you work and how far you will have to travel to one of those homes. I have looked at some fantastic homes with acreage around the $400k mark but chances of you finding a job within cooee are next to none. You would be struggling to get anything decent for less than $400k here in Canberra for example and the other big cities are just as bad. With interest rates on the way up, and traditionally much higher than UK mortgage rates, I certainly wouldnt want to be taking out a mortgage that size - if you have that much cash then go for it (I'd call that being minted!)

Brisbane, Oxenford, Coomera, and Jimboomba are all good areas to live I have family in Jimboomba on Pepper tree road, good size plots for around, should easy pick up a place for $400,000

like you say its ok if you can afford to buy cash.

Proview

your quite right it is different now,on the other hand australia is'nt subject to to crazy european law or a suicidal immigration policy ie 'open door'.Australia are more strict and quite rightly so.They have complete control over thiere border.

Guest Guest31881

I sit and read through most of the posts on PIO (yes I know it’s sad), I look at comments from members who love Australia and defend it; I look at posts from member who love the UK and defend it. That is every ones prerogative to give their opinion and others should respect that.

I would suggest to anyone coming to Australia to read the negative posts and not just dismiss them as anti Australian posts, these posts are being made by people who a couple of years ago (or longer) felt the excitement and thrill of moving here and have lived the ‘dream’ for some that dream will turn into a nightmare. For others it will be the dream. That is the nature of migration. What one person expects and actually finds will be a totally different experience to others. If it is your intention to move to Australia, please take the anti Australian posts seriously. They are genuine experiences and feelings related by members who came here and found it was not their dream, or over a period of time their dream has changed into the nightmare.

Do not just dismiss the anti Australia posts because they do not fit into your idea of Australia.

I love it here and have no intention of returning to the UK, but I also realise that in a few years that feeling may change and I may wish to return to the UK. :notworthy:

your quite right it is different now,on the other hand australia is'nt subject to to crazy european law or a suicidal immigration policy ie 'open door'.Australia are more strict and quite rightly so.They have complete control over thiere border.

That's a joke, right?

Sorry. What? Do you watch the news?

Guest guest12791
Hi all,

Been here 6months and am sooo homesick! Have decided that I want the family to be more apart of my kids life. Don't want to give up the family for abit of sun! But has anyone gone home and regreted it?

Hello there, my partner and i went to brisbane and couldnt settle for a few reasons and so returned to England mainly because my dad was dying. we both had good jobs to come home to and managed to get a great rented detached bungalow to move into straight away, the minuite my other half landed in manchester he wanted to just go back and start again! nearly two years later hes not settled thinking about what ifs. His aunt went to melbourne four times!! before she settled many years ago.

We have residency and plan to go back to brisbane this year, we have no ties here only good jobs!!! but i look at it like this do we want a life of dreaming that we should have done things differently or simply try again!! cant do with getting older and regreting life its just not long enough.

Do what feels right for you and if thats going home then do it, in my opinion you can always go back. You will know the minuite that you land in britain if youve made a mistake. I know its expensive but your sanity and peace of mind is more important and wellbeing. Annemarie x

Guest guest12791
Hi all my son and i have read all your posts with real interest.

We came out in july this year, i have two sons, one didnt want to come and the other did, i had very mixes emotions about it, my husband couldnt wait to get to oz, dont getme wrong the place wherewe live is stunning,beaches buetiful and the sea is like all the exotic postcards you see.

However, i have been working two jobs as my husband has a lovely time, just every now and then leaves the job page open for me to see.....he is the househusband , taking kids to school, house work, shopping.......swimming, biking .walking, lazing on the beach, this is all verynice but when you hear coments like' you didnt earn much this fortnight etc' you start to get angry, bitter.

i am desperate to go home, i miss my family, friends and home so very much, i am physically sick some days.

I try to hide this resentment and try to be happy for the boys sake but they both have told me they want to return to the uk, as they miss everyone so much.....i know my hubby wont be joining us, am sad for the boys as for me not at all.

I know it sounds a bit harsh, butactually i dont care anymore.

Becxx

Hi there, lifes too short discuss how youre feeling with your husband, if its making you physically sick and the boys feel unhappy id say go home!!!! or give him an ultimatum, he has to find a job and work and you and the boys spend some time swimming etc and see if it makes a difference!!! good luck to you, it will get better , annemarie x

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I sit and read through most of the posts on PIO (yes I know it’s sad), I look at comments from members who love Australia and defend it; I look at posts from member who love the UK and defend it. That is every ones prerogative to give their opinion and others should respect that.

I would suggest to anyone coming to Australia to read the negative posts and not just dismiss them as anti Australian posts, these posts are being made by people who a couple of years ago (or longer) felt the excitement and thrill of moving here and have lived the ‘dream’ for some that dream will turn into a nightmare. For others it will be the dream. That is the nature of migration. What one person expects and actually finds will be a totally different experience to others. If it is your intention to move to Australia, please take the anti Australian posts seriously. They are genuine experiences and feelings related by members who came here and found it was not their dream, or over a period of time their dream has changed into the nightmare.

Do not just dismiss the anti Australia posts because they do not fit into your idea of Australia.

I love it here and have no intention of returning to the UK, but I also realise that in a few years that feeling may change and I may wish to return to the UK. :notworthy:

Hi srp,

you are correct and your points make an excellent post. I have no problems with people saying negative things about Australia and i am pro-0z. My problem is when they say things like its too hot, its too far away, the beers rubbish, the spiders are scary, theres crocs and sharks and so on. As if this has come as a big shock, where have these people moved from, MARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Others have had a bad experience like a marriage break up, a death, or something else catastrophic, have a right to say their experience wasn't a nice one. But again it needs to be tempered with facts and not just basic criticism. Saying things like certain areas have problems with Aborignes, is a basic fact, but it needs tempering with the fact that not all Aborignes are like this. Also when it comes to the subject of crime, there is always an anti-Oz backlash saying that crimes as bad there, quoting misconstrued statistics. This will not effect most people who emigrate, but it still should concern them. Most people who have experienced living in both countries say that the fear of crime is far less in Oz than the uk and this could be because there is a third less population spread out over such a large area and each state tends to report their own news. But nobody says that anti-social behaviour from gangs of youths is at epidemic levels like here in the uk and there are a few sink hole housing estates, or rough areas in Oz, unlike the hundreds of run down, estates that are here in the uk.

Housing- this is another touchy subject, when i have said that you can get a fabulous 4 bedroomed house near the sea for $400,000 dollars, again the anti-oz lot start going on, saying no you can't, but look at Point Cook and the surrounding areas in Melbourne and Forest and Springfield lakes in Brisbane and some areas like Wellhard and Rockingham in Perth and theres hundreds of houses on realestate.com.au but they say, these places aren't near the sea, they are to most people coming from the uk who live in land.

Jobs- This is a no brainer, or so you would think. Currently in the uk we are suffering the worst recession in history, with up to 3 million out of work and hundreds of thousands of skilled people unable to get work. Do the anti-oz lot accept that things are better in Oz, do they heckers like, they claim that its just as bad which defies all logic, but then logic rarely enters into their posts. The job situaition is clearly better in Australia, some wages are better than the uk, some are worse, but jobs are there to be had.

My final observation is that most people leave for Oz in an excited state, but with an heavy heart, because they are leaving loved ones and for some this emotional distress is too much for them to bear and they return to the uk, which they are lucky to be able to return to such a great country, cold yes, but still great.

Guest treesea

Housing- this is another touchy subject, when i have said that you can get a fabulous 4 bedroomed house near the sea for $400,000 dollars, again the anti-oz lot start going on, saying no you can't, but look at Point Cook and the surrounding areas in Melbourne and Forest and Springfield lakes in Brisbane and some areas like Wellhard and Rockingham in Perth and theres hundreds of houses on realestate.com.au but they say, these places aren't near the sea, they are to most people coming from the uk who live in land.

Jobs- This is a no brainer, or so you would think. Currently in the uk we are suffering the worst recession in history, with up to 3 million out of work and hundreds of thousands of skilled people unable to get work. Do the anti-oz lot accept that things are better in Oz, do they heckers like, they claim that its just as bad which defies all logic, but then logic rarely enters into their posts. The job situaition is clearly better in Australia, some wages are better than the uk, some are worse, but jobs are there to be had.

jim.

I'm not sure that the prices on realestate.com.au are a good indication of what the houses will actually sell for. In Australia a lot of the houses that are for sale go to auction, so the price guide can be misleading, usually way too low. Adding 20% to the quoted price would be more accurate, especially for sought after areas.

As to areas, you mention Point Cook. Yes, houses are very reasonably priced there, and it's on the sea but it's also next door to a huge sewage plant. I wouldn't want to live within ten miles of that plant on a 40C plus summer's day. The public transport links to Point Cook aren't very good - the good train service for that area terminates at Williamstown.

The job situation in Australia is probably better than the UK, not least because a lot of jobs are much better paid than in the UK. Security guards, for instance, don't get 20% more than here, where often they are getting minimum wage - it's more than 100% more. Check out operators at Aldi supermarket had a basic wage of $19 an hour even when I last worked in Australia, just over 5 years ago. However, whereas in the UK the government pays lip services to "British jobs for British people" and, for instance, imports thousands of workers from India to work in IT at, yes, unbelievable but true, the minimum wage, because legally that is all the sponsoring companies have to pay them, Australian companies tend to take "Australian jobs for Australian workers" a lot more seriously. As for the Australian government, in a lot of cases you have to be an Australian citizen before you can work there, so the Aussie government is really leading the way on "Australians first" when it comes to jobs. For immigrants, including Brits, that's going to mean they could struggle to find work, simply because there are also Australians applying for the job.

I agree with you. I have yet to make the move and enjoy reading all the posts, postive and negative. Personally, I see it as a brilliant research tool and think we are lucky to have a site like poms in oz! Everybody is different, and what may work for one person, might not work for the next. If we were all the same the world would be a boring place!

I totally agree with Shreen.

I found reading all of theses posts informative, at the end of the day it's a personal choice. We could all write a book on why we think the UK is screwed and Oz is better, or vice versa!

We are just beginning our process to start our visa applications and I was genuinely sad to read some of the posts for the guys who are really homesick/fed up/disillusioned etc. I hope and pray that you all get to go home if that is what you really want. Despite finding these posts informative clan mac will be proceeding with our visa applications if we get a yes from one of the migration agents we have contacted, I really feel strongly that we need to at least try Oz.

good luck anyway to all wishing to return to the UK x

Hi there,

I say if you dont give it a try, you will always be wondering the what if?, I know personally I would be asking myelf for the rest of my life, we are into our 3rd month living here, I have missed my house so much as we ended up renting it as we couldnt sell, that was 2 weeks ago, this last week I have felt absolutely fine, it was a very hard decision leaving family & friends, but we feel it has been worth it.

Julie

Hi there,

I say if you dont give it a try, you will always be wondering the what if?, I know personally I would be asking myelf for the rest of my life, we are into our 3rd month living here, I have missed my house so much as we ended up renting it as we couldnt sell, that was 2 weeks ago, this last week I have felt absolutely fine, it was a very hard decision leaving family & friends, but we feel it has been worth it.

Julie

Julie

Glad to hear things are better, if you are like me I am sure you will have many more stay/go weeks, I am glad we have stayed.

Like you leaving my house for someone else to live in (we too rented out) was a big thing for me, especially when they were critical of things. It was the home we bought our babies up in and so for me had a big emotional tie. It took a while to get over this and now I just see it as another house. If people are thinking of renting out their home be sure you can detach yourself from it.

regards

Michelle

Hi there,

Julie

I have lived in for Australia 6 years and rented the whole time its certainly not the same as owning your own home. We are returning to Lancashire in March and I can say that our experience living in Australia has been very rewarding but we have lived in limbo through out the whole time, visits back help but not for long, 3 months is not a long time at all I remember it being like a holiday for the first 12 months then after that you realise its a different culture and you are in a foreign land with no direct history as was our case, we have no kids and no family in oz so for us the decision seems obvious but it took 6 years to come to that conclusion good luck to all Struggling.:biggrin:

Hi

I have also been here for 6 months and even though I have felt homesick from day 1, I am really starting to think about returning home. I know a few people who have returned and have settled back into life as though they never left, however everyone is different. Personally I need to give it two years as this is what I planned before I came out. I want to feel as though I gave it a go and I dont want my children to be uprooted again.

I hope you make the right decision and I know exactly what you must be going through.

Good luck

Archived