Anyone gone back to UK and hated it?

Guest michelledenham

My girls have 2 more years of school here left, then after that I will make a decision whether we stay here in Australia or all move back to Canada. My husband loves it here and probably won't move back. So it may be a case of just me and the girls moving back and my husband staying here

How an earth could you leave your Husband back in oz is a bit harsh, you need to all sit down and talk about the pro & Con of the situation you are in, Im sure you will be even more at a loss without your Husband???

Best of luck in 2010

Proview

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest siamsusie
My girls have 2 more years of school here left, then after that I will make a decision whether we stay here in Australia or all move back to Canada. My husband loves it here and probably won't move back. So it may be a case of just me and the girls moving back and my husband staying here

How an earth could you leave your Husband back in oz is a bit harsh, you need to all sit down and talk about the pro & Con of the situation you are in, Im sure you will be even more at a loss without your Husband???

Best of luck in 2010

Proview

I am sure there are many people that get very upset at this time of year and hopefully Twins Mum was venting some frustration when she wrote the post. There are other ways around the situation I am sure without drastic measures being taken, like making a trip back to Canada at Christmas time their annual vacation. Hopefully with the support of other PIO members she will get through this!

Best wishes Susie :wubclub:

Best of luck in 2010

Proview

As her hubby is off playing golf while she and her kids are distressed and living a nightmare, i would think very easily :yes:

Guest Miss Moth

I take a great amount of comfort in reading all your posts. I have been here about 4 months, I know people say thats not a long time but I'm at the end of my teather already.

I was transferred with work which is very very lucky I know but my god I actually think it could be the worst thing I've even done.

I've come out here with my boyfriend who is starting to like it here, although he can't find work, which is adding a lot of pressure on us.

I'm in Sydney, I should be living the dream but all I want to do is jump back on a plane! People have told me to give it more time but its been months now and my opinion hasn't changed.

I'm planning on leaving next October if I can, it just seems so far away :frown:

Guest Patty01

Hi i am new to the web site, and have just returned to oz after 2yrs back in the uk.We came to oz in 2006,stayed for 11 months,then packed up and moved back to Scotland. All i can say to you is to remember the reasons you wanted to leave the uk in the 1st place. I have a few friends from England and they all say the same thing that they thought about moving back but are so glad they didnt,everybody gets homesick,but it takes time,lucky for us we had the oppourtunity to come back and hopefully things will work out for us.Anyway all the best for whatever you decide.

Guest siamsusie
I take a great amount of comfort in reading all your posts. I have been here about 4 months, I know people say thats not a long time but I'm at the end of my teather already.

I was transferred with work which is very very lucky I know but my god I actually think it could be the worst thing I've even done.

I've come out here with my boyfriend who is starting to like it here, although he can't find work, which is adding a lot of pressure on us.

I'm in Sydney, I should be living the dream but all I want to do is jump back on a plane! People have told me to give it more time but its been months now and my opinion hasn't changed.

I'm planning on leaving next October if I can, it just seems so far away

Miss Moth, hopefully you are able to hop on a "cheapie" and see other parts of Australia. You have so much choice over east, instead of :wubclub: whiling away your time for another year (almost) make a few plans, what a shame to go back home not having seen anything of the country. You never know you just might like a few things:wink: Happy New Year love Susie x

Guest Patty01
Hi i am new to the web site, and have just returned to oz after 2yrs back in the uk.We came to oz in 2006,stayed for 11 months,then packed up and moved back to Scotland. All i can say to you is to remember the reasons you wanted to leave the uk in the 1st place. I have a few friends from England and they all say the same thing that they thought about moving back but are so glad they didnt,everybody gets homesick,but it takes time,lucky for us we had the oppourtunity to come back and hopefully things will work out for us.Anyway all the best for whatever you decide,ps the reasons i gave for returning to the uk was the same as yours.

Guest bshootz

Hi all my son and i have read all your posts with real interest.

We came out in july this year, i have two sons, one didnt want to come and the other did, i had very mixes emotions about it, my husband couldnt wait to get to oz, dont getme wrong the place wherewe live is stunning,beaches buetiful and the sea is like all the exotic postcards you see.

However, i have been working two jobs as my husband has a lovely time, just every now and then leaves the job page open for me to see.....he is the househusband , taking kids to school, house work, shopping.......swimming, biking .walking, lazing on the beach, this is all verynice but when you hear coments like' you didnt earn much this fortnight etc' you start to get angry, bitter.

i am desperate to go home, i miss my family, friends and home so very much, i am physically sick some days.

I try to hide this resentment and try to be happy for the boys sake but they both have told me they want to return to the uk, as they miss everyone so much.....i know my hubby wont be joining us, am sad for the boys as for me not at all.

I know it sounds a bit harsh, butactually i dont care anymore.

Becxx

Its becoming more and more apparent how moving to the other side of the earth can have a detrimental effect on relationships. I wonder who many families have "broken" due to the "Australian Dream".

Sorry to anyone affected in this way and i hope it all works out one way or another for you all.:wubclub:

We came out in july this year, i have two sons, one didnt want to come and the other did, i had very mixes emotions about it, my husband couldnt wait to get to oz, dont getme wrong the place wherewe live is stunning,beaches buetiful and the sea is like all the exotic postcards you see.

However, i have been working two jobs as my husband has a lovely time, just every now and then leaves the job page open for me to see.....he is the househusband , taking kids to school, house work, shopping.......swimming, biking .walking, lazing on the beach, this is all verynice but when you hear coments like' you didnt earn much this fortnight etc' you start to get angry, bitter.

i am desperate to go home, i miss my family, friends and home so very much, i am physically sick some days.

I try to hide this resentment and try to be happy for the boys sake but they both have told me they want to return to the uk, as they miss everyone so much.....i know my hubby wont be joining us, am sad for the boys as for me not at all.

Becxx

Hi,

Really feel for you as you sound desperatly unhappy. Is there a reason that you husband does not work as i have to say he sounds very selfish, especially if he is criticizing how much you earn:shocked:, i am all for the modern woman and all that but someone should remind him it,s the male,s responsibility to go out and support his family. I really hope that it works out for you whatever you decide to do.

Becxx

Okay Becx i feel a Shirley Valantine comming on and not before time lol Right set about getting the money for yours and the kids tickets.......one way and when thats done just GO!!!! Get home to peace and the people who love an care for you. Maybe get a credit card in the selfish bast**ds name and put the tickets on there lol keep it quiet and empower yourself ...........he has just about had enough rope to hang himself with, no word of warning just go !!! YOU CAN DO IT GIRL XXXX

Okay Becx i feel a Shirley Valantine comming on and not before time lol Right set about getting the money for yours and the kids tickets.......one way and when thats done just GO!!!! Get home to peace and the people who love an care for you. Maybe get a credit card in the selfish bast**ds name and put the tickets on there lol keep it quiet and empower yourself ...........he has just about had enough rope to hang himself with, no word of warning just go !!! YOU CAN DO IT GIRL XXXX

Much as I applaud the sentiment here (and more power to you to achieve it!) the OP would need to be very careful because once in Australia it becomes nigh on impossible to remove children from the jurisdiction if the other partner says they may not leave. If they do go and the other partner hasnt given permission, they can be forced to return from any other signatory country of the Hague convention - it is something that has to be done right or it can lead to an awful lot of unhappiness.

Hi,

Yes we have done it 5 times now and it doesn't get any easier. First of all you miss family and all familier things, shops, food, just saying hello to someone you know at the shops. So you move back many many dollas poorer, and then it may take 6months sometimes 1 year and you realise you have done the wrong thing. So if you can afford it you decide to return and so on. All your savings later, school interuptions, job interuptions and belongings come and gone you don't know where you want to be.

So think carefully put up with a few things you don't like but put the effort in and get out and about and make friends. Otherwise you will end up like me and my hubby, one son in Australia and one son in UK and us regretting we came back. So it looks like we will be making our 6th trip back but a lot lighter in cash. Oh yes I am 56 and hubby is 62 not really a good age to be moving around but I would rather be in Australia than the UK. We were in Perth by the way.

Hi Patty,

I agree with you, I am in the UK again (5th time) and have been back here 6years now but new from being back 1 year it was 'another' mistake. So as you can guess I am in the process of getting back. Hubby thinks its going to be too expensive now, we probably wouldn't be able to buy a house and we are getting on (me 56 hubby 62) but I know where I would rather be. Anyway just thought I would let you know you are dead right, before you move think why you wanted to go in the first place.

Hi,

Yes we have done it 5 times now and it doesn't get any easier. First of all you miss family and all familier things, shops, food, just saying hello to someone you know at the shops. So you move back many many dollas poorer, and then it may take 6months sometimes 1 year and you realise you have done the wrong thing. So if you can afford it you decide to return and so on. All your savings later, school interuptions, job interuptions and belongings come and gone you don't know where you want to be.

So think carefully put up with a few things you don't like but put the effort in and get out and about and make friends. Otherwise you will end up like me and my hubby, one son in Australia and one son in UK and us regretting we came back. So it looks like we will be making our 6th trip back but a lot lighter in cash. Oh yes I am 56 and hubby is 62 not really a good age to be moving around but I would rather be in Australia than the UK. We were in Perth by the way.

How many yrs in total in oz

I must admit i think if you are from another country and you left a good life then you will always compare and be sumwhat unsettled. We have been here 20 years this year and i have considered more this year than ever about going back. I have also sat at the computer looked at houses for sale, jobs and schools in our area in the UK, then i have tried to visualise being there, and have come to the conculusion it would'nt take long for me to be unsettled and bored and irritated with the UK. Not with everything still have wonderful friends and family over there. But feel i could not take away the oportunities my daughter will have here and put her where we left because of no oportunities, i just couldnt do that to her. So this is a really reflective year for us.

I must admit i think if you are from another country and you left a good life then you will always compare and be sumwhat unsettled. We have been here 20 years this year and i have considered more this year than ever about going back. I have also sat at the computer looked at houses for sale, jobs and schools in our area in the UK, then i have tried to visualise being there, and have come to the conculusion it would'nt take long for me to be unsettled and bored and irritated with the UK. Not with everything still have wonderful friends and family over there. But feel i could not take away the oportunities my daughter will have here and put her where we left because of no oportunities, i just couldnt do that to her. So this is a really reflective year for us.

Hi, 20 yrs in oz well done, the UK is nothing like it used to be 10yrs ago never mind 20 yrs ago, thanks for this info

Proview

Guest bshootz

Hi guys thanks for your replies, y hubby doesnt work because he doesnt want to ......i earn to good a wage...as for us going and him he wants us to go so he can go travelling !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been back a month and the UK is just as I left it 4 years ago OK, I do not know which Country I prefer to be honest as both Countries have their positives and negatives, I could happily live in either Country as they are both great in my eyes.

Hi,

We first went over in 1981 and our last return was Oct 2003 a total of 18 years in Oz, and I loved every minute but my husband was always homesick for his mates, work and going to the pub (not that he is a big pub goer) he just thought he was missing something. Even now he says he can't understand how he thought that way because he found he wasn't missing them at all.

I have been back a month and the UK is just as I left it 4 years ago OK, I do not know which Country I prefer to be honest as both Countries have their positives and negatives, I could happily live in either Country as they are both great in my eyes.

Where in Aus was you Spud? Not perth by any chance:wink:

Where in Aus was you Spud? Not perth by any chance:wink:

Perth and Brisbane mate as a bad Chef who worked in 6 different restaurants in 4 years.

Guest coogee

my message is dont do it.i arrived in oz in 1966 and returned in 1968.this country is very quickly going down the europian economic drain.the closer we move to europe the worse it gets.i still wish i was in oz but its too late for me.my advice is stay where you are.

Guest pegasus 90
my message is dont do it.i arrived in oz in 1966 and returned in 1968.this country is very quickly going down the europian economic drain.the closer we move to europe the worse it gets.i still wish i was in oz but its too late for me.my advice is stay where you are.

Australia is a much different place than in 1968 !!

Archived