First speeding fine - beg to be let off

skipjack

Melbourne - 114k in a 100 zone and I was ticketed. I was told by a friend to write in and beg to be let off (new to the country, first ever speeding fine etc.). They let me off with a warning.

Just thought I'd share this with you all. And of course I don't condone speeding.

My OH got a speeding ticket a few months ago. We were doing the Great Ocean Road, using the sat nav, which we now know was showing incorrect speed limits. He was clocked doing 75 in a 70 zone (if my memory is correct). On the advice of a friend, I wrote a letter and he was let off. Now we never rely on the sat nav for speed limits. I have heard that your driving record must be as clean as a whistle or the ticket stands.

Like you say Skip, speeding is wrong, but it can happen to the best of us sometimes.

T x

Like you say Skip, speeding is wrong, but it can happen to the best of us sometimes.

T x

My office was responsible for the company cars and we were always redirecting speeding fines to the drivers - and these drivers were just regular people of all ages, not young lads with no brains.

For info, the general rule is that you can go 5 to 6k over the speed limit. Basically there is a 3k allowance for driver error plus a 3% allowance to allow for the speed camera not being calibrated correctly - so in a 100k zone this gives you about 6km per hour extra.

My recommendation (especialy for the freeway driving) is to buy a car with cruise conrol or you'll be paying out and collecting those points :policeman:

If you see a copper with a speed gun, ask nicely and they'll calibrate your speedo for you; ask them if you can drive towards them at say, 60, and they'll zap you and see if your speedo is out. I know the Prado reads 6km over at 60kmh after doing this.

It's also worthwhile checking if your tyres are the right size; putting 70 radials on a car designed for 65s will make your speedo register 5-10% under.

And lastly, Queensland changed its road rules recently but didn't tell many people; there are automatic double demerits for a second speeding offence over 120kmh. If you get zapped doing 121 you'll loose three points, get done again within a year (I think, it might be two years), you'll lose 6 points the next time around.

Guest The Pom Queen

My recommendation (especialy for the freeway driving) is to buy a car with cruise conrol or you'll be paying out and collecting those points :policeman:

Not always safe. We had a friend who got a speeding ticket using cruise control, the problem being is that when you are going up hill it pumps more power but once you start going down the other side the power is still there and it takes a few hundred metres to correct itself. I have found this with mine also as although set at 100km going down hill it can get up to 115km and I have to brake and reset control.

Touch wood I have not had any speeding tickets or points on my license:wubclub:

i got caught at 54 in a 40 and did the whole write a letter to the cheif of traffic police for my area along with a copy of the fine (was actually told to do this by a traffic cop, long story but the ticket was filled in wrong).

They just reissued the fine and said please pay in full, probably best just to take it on the chin and pay up then be more careful.

Guest Finchy84

Anyone got any advice for the following: I got done yesterday driving Sydney to Bathurst, doing 120 in a 100. Basically came over the brow of a hill after the speedlimit has dropped to 100 from a 120 and yeah bang. No excuse, happy to take the speeding ticket on the chin. However I am driving on my UK license, I dont drive very often as its my girlfriends car and I was driving up to see her parents (She is overseas currently). I now know that after 3 months you need a NSW license. I was under the impression that a UK license was ok. The cop has done me for Driving without a license as well. So basically another $650 in fines. According to the RTA you have to be a PR to get a NSW License, I am not a PR, just on a 457 Visa. Is there a possible way of getting out of the fine. The cop didnt impound my car or anything and let me drive off. I asked about driving home and he was like well its clear you can drive so its not a issue. He recommended I go to the RTA tomorrow and plead ignorance, along with my passport showing that I am not a PR and I might be able to get out of it. Any advice?

Guest proud2beaussie

As far as I am aware if you are on a 457 visa you can drive in Australia on a UK license for as long as the visa and license remain valid and you are only required to obtain a NSW license when you get PR,I would take the officers advice and contact the RTA but I think you have been hard done by as regards driving without a license,if the RTA let you off on that charge then I would suggest paying the speeding fine and put it down to experience.

Edited to add: I'll post this link from the RTA website even though you have probably already looked at it.

spacer.gifLicence requirements

As a temporary overseas visitor, if you hold a current driver licence from another country, you are allowed to drive in NSW on your overseas licence as long as:

• You remain a temporary overseas visitor
  • Your overseas licence remains current
  • You have not been disqualified from driving in NSW or elsewhere and
  • You have not had your licence suspended or cancelled or your visiting driver privileges withdrawn.

You are not required to obtain a NSW licence if you comply with these conditions and can continue to prove your genuine visitor status to NSW Police if required.

Note: If you are a licence holder from New Zealand, you must obtain a NSW driver licence within three months of residing in NSW or you must stop driving.

When driving in NSW you must carry your overseas driver licence. Your licence must be written in English or, if the licence is not in English, you must either carry an English translation or an International Driving Permit.

If you are a temporary overseas visitor and you wish to obtain a NSW licence see Temporary overseas visitors obtaining a NSW licence.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/visitorstonsw/overseaslicence.html

Guest Finchy84

I couldnt find that link on there, so thanks for that. That has been a great help, right tomorrow I will head to the RTA with my passport in hand and go from there. Brilliant. Thanks very much!

Archived