Gold prospecting anyone???

Guest Tom the Pom

Guest Tom the Pom

One of the many things I have on my to do list is doing a bit of prospecting.

There are the goldfields in the West, the golden triangle in the South East and I'm sure many more.

Has anyone had a go?

Can you recommend any tours??

Where's all the gold???

Guest siamsusie

There are the goldfields in the West, the golden triangle in the South East and I'm sure many more.

Has anyone had a go?

Where's all the gold???

There appears to be a fair bit in the Pilbara Tom, gold prospecting is very popular. By our home in Tasmania Beaconsfield, we have a large gold mine, places like Queenstown, Corinna etc a fair bit of gold.

Prospecting for Gold @ ExplorOz

:wubclub: Susie

Has anyone had a go?

Where's all the gold???

Done a fair bit of gold, opal and sapphire prospecting in my time. Actually spent 6 months just travelling around Australia fossicking.

Never really found much gold, but had a bit of luck with sapphires; even had a small 'mine' near Glen Innes, northern NSW. There was the odd flake of gold, as well.

As SS says, there appears to be a fair bit in the Pilbara. Found a small nugget (half ounce) at an old mine near Dampier...But someone stole it.

Even found an emerald near Roebourne, in the Pilbara. Same colour, same chemical composition but not transparent, unfortunately.

Cheers, Bobj.

Found a few flakes down in the Golden Triangle over the years but not enough for my retirement plan! My B-I-L took it seriously for a few years and with a metal detector, not a pan, he did alright around the Ballarat and Bendigo areas.

Guest Tom the Pom
Done a fair bit of gold, opal and sapphire prospecting in my time. Actually spent 6 months just travelling around Australia fossicking.

Never really found much gold, but had a bit of luck with sapphires; even had a small 'mine' near Glen Innes, northern NSW. There was the odd flake of gold, as well.

As SS says, there appears to be a fair bit in the Pilbara. Found a small nugget (half ounce) at an old mine near Dampier...But someone stole it.

Even found an emerald near Roebourne, in the Pilbara. Same colour, same chemical composition but not transparent, unfortunately.

Cheers, Bobj.

Can you make a living from it???

Or is it more of an existance???

Can you make a living from it???

Or is it more of an existance???

G'day mate, it's more a matter of a hobby.

One can make a fortune, but that is very rarely done. The bloke who found "The Hand Of Faith" got over $1million for it.

Remember that 99% of the land has been 'turned over' before.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Tom the Pom
G'day mate, it's more a matter of a hobby.

One can make a fortune, but that is very rarely done. The bloke who found "The Hand Of Faith" got over $1million for it.

Remember that 99% of the land has been 'turned over' before.

I know the gold rush has been and gone but technology has improved and the new metal detectors are many times better than the old ones so there might be a few nuggets left waiting to be found.

At $5000 decent metal detectors make it an expensive hobby!!! - unless you get lucky!!!

I like the true story of the bloke in Kalgoorlie, who wanted to buy a metal detector. He went to the local shop and asked to see the better machines. The assistant showed him one and they went to the carpark behind the shop to test it. He pinged up a $4000 nugget...Naturally, he bought the detector... That was well over 20 years ago.

Cheers, Bobj.

Archived