Citizenship Test & the Budget down under

Stuju

$123.6 million for Australia’s New Citizenship Test

Budget Media Release

Tuesday, 8 May 2007

The Australian Government’s new citizenship test will play a key part in maintaining our national identity.

The citizenship test will require applicants for citizenship to have an understanding of the values, traditions, institutions and history of our great nation and will assist people wishing to become Australian citizens to maximise the opportunities available to them and contribute to Australia’s future success as a nation.

The 2007-08 Budget provides funding of $123.6 million over five years to deliver the Australian Government’s new citizenship test, to be introduced in 2007.

The citizenship test resource booklet and audio-visual materials will assist prospective citizens to prepare for the test.

Test centre sites will be established across Australia.

Many Australians would agree that citizenship is a privilege not a right.

A new booklet providing information about Australia and our way of life will be distributed to permanent visa applicants and made available to temporary visa applicants.

Permanent and long-term temporary visa applicants will be required to sign a statement that acknowledges they will respect the Australian way of life and abide by Australian laws before a visa will be granted.

People who come to Australia do so because they see this as a land of great opportunity, with many social and economic benefits.

As Australians, we have not only an opportunity, but also a responsibility, to help new arrivals make the most of the opportunities life in Australia has to offer.

Media enquiries: Kate Walshe 0421 588 794

http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/media/media-releases/2007/index.htm#may

seems maybe australia are doing some good with there budget hubby & i are also gonna be $40 a week better off in our wage packets too (would of been taken away from us back home!!!)

Guest Impatient

No doubt the UK version when it comes in will be £6 Billion and 10 years late, probably not requiring a basic ability to speak English...

• 2 weeks later...

Latest on the citizenship test from the Sydney Morning Herald Last week, the Federal Government announced that migrants who apply to become citizens have to undergo a citizenship test.

http://blogs.smh.com.au/australiasmigrantheritage/archives/2007/05/calling_all_prospective_austra.html

Personally, what an absolute waste of time and money spent so John Howard can appeal to his Aussie Battlers (i.e. bogans, losers, racists etc.), yet what ever the test, a significant proportion of ("skip") Australians would fail not only this test but an IELTS English test also.

Worse, who is the John Howard govt. to dictate what an Australian is?

Latest on the citizenship test from the Sydney Morning Herald Last week, the Federal Government announced that migrants who apply to become citizens have to undergo a citizenship test.

http://blogs.smh.com.au/australiasmigrantheritage/archives/2007/05/calling_all_prospective_austra.html

Personally, what an absolute waste of time and money spent so John Howard can appeal to his Aussie Battlers (i.e. bogans, losers, racists etc.), yet what ever the test, a significant proportion of ("skip") Australians would fail not only this test but an IELTS English test also.

Worse, who is the John Howard govt. to dictate what an Australian is?

It would appear that you are being a bit bias. What is wrong with people who want to become a citizen knowing something of the country they want to be a citizen of? I suppose that you would object to them being able to speak English. Before you label me as a racist, if I lived in Spain, Italy, France, Egypt etc I would expect to learn the language of that country.

Archived