connaust

While the capital cities are struggling under the weight of

increasing population, regional areas are crying out for more people - especially

people with skills.

Apologies, the link seems t be a podcast that has to be downloaded.... but this news typifies issues in Australia, city based people trying to dictate on migration as a political issue...., meanwhile the bush suffers.....

Guest wanderer
Thanks they had removed (maybe because it is contrary to city opinion :)),

Good for a chuckle!

I gather you have ever had little technological training Andrew.

What about psychological issues, ie what not so much makes people tick but what it is that forms attitudes they have.

Primarily, given your slants, why do some people enjoy rural life styles while others like the people flux and then there are some that can deal equally well with both.

But that Greg Muller on the article opening para would have to be a dud wouldn't he?

I actually got motivated to send him a note to let him know he could do far better in tackling the substance behind the regurgitations.

Regional areas do suffer and they need people. Let me qualify this they need people who will stay in the communities, bring up their children and help the area they live in to prosper.

What happens, migrants come to live in regional areas, stay a year or so until they can get pr and then move to the city so its not the city folks fault, its the fault of the migrants that do not follow through in the end and use the system.

Living in the country in Australia is not like living in the country in Europe, often its dusty, hot, isolated etc, services may be thin on the ground.

However our country needs the country people they contribute a lot more than we city fol do to the economy as individuals in my opinion, and they are the salt of the earth, lovely people and community is alive and well.

That is one of the issues in the bush, especially local younger generation who clear off to the city.

Another issue for regional towns and cities in attracting and retaining migrants is that there is often no awareness from offshore (due to marketing and promotion issues), thus many migrants etc. go to the city, and the region is last resort.

Depends where, some regional towns and cities are absolute gems, with employment opportunities and relatively economic housing (e.g. NE Victoria within couple of hours of snowfields, wineries, and lakes/rivers), that new arrivals find difficulty in leaving (northern Victoria has massive Italian, Greek, Slovene/Croat, and Turk communities, now including Indian and other Asian). Good for restaurants these days too :wink:

FFS this happens in England , in the 70`s 80`s most young irish left the rural place for employment in Engalnd , a lot of village folk in England move to the towns for work and life ,chocolate box lids dont keep families. Petals what crap , the reason the rural communities are short of skills is the same reason my arguement from above . Most migrants apply for regional sponsorship just to get a foot in and all the uk nazis moan about the poles and east europeans

So Yorkshire Pom which regional area of Perth do you live in since you seem to know so much about it regional areas problems.

Have you lived in the Kimberly my parents did, my son lives in a regional area and therefore I have a little insight into the problems of country people.

If you think that country people do not contribute as much as city folk then I suggest you get out in a header on a wheat field where one field is larger than a farm in the UK and sit there all day ploughing, sowing seeds and then harvesting. Also whilst these farmers do this their wife works, they have other jobs and they work very very hard.

We need to support our country people and they need people with community at heart to go and live in these areas.

Archived