UK Medical/Dental records - take copies or not?

shaunkaren

Hi Karen

I work in a dental surgery and over here, we don't pass on dental records.

This is an NHS practice, but I think all are much the same. Your new dentist will just take a bit longer on your first visit to chart your mouth and they will take it from there.

With the doctors side, you know what has gone on before and as long as there isn't anything major, I can't see why you would want to pay for records.

Cheers Pam

Guest milliemoo

Is that what your doctors have said they will charge you? We obtained our medical records for 2 adults and 2 children and they charged us £15 in total.

I prefer to have them as my memory is terrible and can never remember what ailments, illnesses I have had in the past.

It did make interesting reading too as there was an entry on mine which was totally incorrect, and I would have been mortified to think that if I had not obtained copies of my records that entry would have remained on there. I have been in to see my doctor who has deleted it and I await a new copy.

It wasn't something you would want on your records so I am sooooooo glad that I did request them, if only for that!

Guest Guest31881
I was in process of getting medical/dental records together and wondered if others have done it and found it advantageous, or is it worth saving up to £50 (depending on case notes) per set and leave without them.

Thanks Karen

Your doctor here will send you for blood tests and stuff if you need them. Take any medication that you are on with you when you first visit the Doctor.

I just made a list of my previous illness and current medications with me, and that was fine. I have a heart condition and the Doctor sent me for ECG and stuff, even if you take your records, they will do this as they want to know what your state of health is now, and like all Doctors they will want to make their own decisions on your course of treatement if any is needed.

Personally i would save my money and just make my own list!:notworthy:

Guest Guest31881
Bringing immunisation records for children is a good idea.

Good idea, i did not think of that , but there again i dont have kids to worry about :jiggy:

Ok thanks for all the swift responses. Have got the children's immunisation records in special books they have had from birth, so will take them. None of us have had any major issues health wise, or nothing that i couldn't explain to them myself - so will probably save myself £100!!!

Many thanks one and all

Karen x

I agree with the others - dont bother unless you have had something life shattering and which requires ongoing medication/treatment. I wouldnt bother with dental records at all - they like to start from scratch most of the time.

With the kids' vaccination records, dont put them in your container but bring them in your hot little hands, you will need them when you enrol the kids in school - they have to be sighted.

Archived