Choosing a school before emigrating...

buckbuchanan

Guest Sally E

Hi Ali

I'm glad yours are all getting on well. My two are doing well at school although they don't actually like it there very much. It sounds like they might enjoy the more relaxed approach. We noticed on our previous visits that the kids seem really nice there as well.

Hi

This is such a common dilemma. We have decided to wait until we get out to Oz before we decide where to send our 2 monsters (aged 8 & 13) We went to Perth a couple of weeks back and the areas all seemed well served by primary and high schools and of course there are also the religious schools too. I guess until you know where you will settle you can't really decide on very much can you?

Mandy x

Guest Sally E

Hi Mandy, I think you are right. I have had to prepare a statement for the courts listing schools but really until we arrive there then we can't make a final decision about which one to go for. Fortunately I have relatives who can give me feedback about schools and areas in Perth so I know pretty much where we would aim for.

Guest mutikonka

I would suggest waiting until you get here to check out the schools. We have a 10 year old just started in Year 5. When we were looking for schools some looked impressive on their websites but we didn't like the "atmosphere" when we visited them in person .

The young un ended up going to a Catholic school that we didn't like the look of initially [sounded very stuffy and to sporty] but we were won over at an introductory evening at which the Principal gave a speech desribing the schools values and ethos - we haven't been disappointed.

Guest Sally E

Thank you for the advice. I will have to act quickly when I get there because of my son's age (15) but I am hoping that they will get him to start Year 10 again really. It is tough because I have to convince a judge here that I have firm plans but you can only do so much from here. I just hope to get into the position of having to choose a school really, it seems far off right now. Got to get there first!

Guest Jon & Di

We are moving to Sydney in January with a daughter who is 15. Have found a school on the web that we like the look of, and they replied to an email stating that her application would depend upon where we are going to be living. As far as I can tell, the fee for a temporary visa holder is $4500 - $5000 per year. Free education is only available if you are on a permanent visa.

Guest Sally E

We have got our Permanant visas, just having to sort out my ex now as he has withdrawn his consent. Advice to anyone in our situation, always get a court order, don't trust them to just sign a letter and stick to it. We fell out over maintenance and now he is being awkward.

Sally, take some stuff on a couple of schools that you like the look of and would meet your sons needs e.g. if he's good at science one with a good science programme etc.

Tell the judge that your sons education is a big priority and you're not prepared to comitt his future to a school without speaking to the principle face to face and you and your son looking around the school, and should his judgement be in your favour, it will be the first thing you do when you arrive and put a roof over your head.

Does your son get an opportunity to say anything?

Also tell him you've got loads of mates of PIO who won't be happy unless he says YES lol

Guest Sally E

Hi Ali, thank you for that. My son has had his say, and his sister too. We are hoping that their views will count for a lot. I will say that in court and I have put forward 3 schools in my evidence that look good but as you say you can't choose one until you go there. It's not like popping down the road is it! I will let you know what happens anyway. x

• 2 months later...
Guest lisaandnigel

hi just noticed your a electrician, can i ask have you got your licence for oz ? and how do you go about getting?

thanks nigel

Guest Sally E

Hi all, sorry for the long absence. We are waiting to hear now if we get the chance to appeal the judge's decision not to let us go to Oz. I will keep you posted. We should know by end of Feb if we can appeal and if we can, end of March if we can go. Fingers crossed!

Archived