Future of migration for existing applicants

Guest Glenn Pereira

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently some of the attendees at today's MIA/DIAC meeting suspect that this 3,500 represents applicants whose nominated occupations are in ASCO Groups 1-3 inclusive but it allegedly excludes all those applicants whose nominated occupations are in ASCO Group 4. That is, skilled tradies have allegedly been excluded from the revived group.

I have e-mailed Mr Wilden this evening, asking him to seek urgent information from the boss of the ASPC and to confirm exactly what the situation is. I have put Mr Wilden on formal notice that I will be asking him about this at the meeting on Monday. He will see my e-mail when he gets to work in the morning. If he asks the ASPC's boss tomorrow (UK time) he should have concrete facts and figures raady for me by noon on Monday.

That is what I was afraid most of all. No transparency and fairness again!!

Or is it a joke?

Just to indicate what 3500 places might mean, these are the stats obtained from the ASPC at the MIA conference in early October:

State nominated with CSL, Unallocated 27, Allocated 720, Total 747

Family sponsored CSL, 1130, 279, 1409

All other CSL, 6335, 4289, 10624

All other State nominated, 3678, 0, 3678

MODL only, 12388, 0, 12388

Other, 15659, 0, 15659

Total, 39217, 5279, 44496

If we factor in the smaller numbers from the Brisbane Skilled Processing Centre and subtract the trades applicants, it seems most likely that every existing Category 5 applicant, and certainly those lodged prior to 23 September, will now be processed expeditiously. Assuming the rumour is confirmed, of course.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest Gollywobbler
That is what I was afraid most of all. No transparency and fairness again!!

Or is it a joke?

Hi McKlaut

I have put feelers out everywhere to try to discover what is happening and to mimimise delay in getting accurate information.

I am certain that no joke is intended.

Beyond this, it is getting on for 11pm in the UK and I will be heading for bed soon. Eastern Australia is now up & about (or soon will be) so I hope that somebody will be able to provide some firm information during the next few hours and hopefully by the time I get up in the morning.

I wish it were better news but I have nothing definite at the moment.

Nite

Gill

To confirm what we were advised by a senior ASPC officer at the seminar in Adelaide yesterday: Category 5 applicants who have been asked to arrange meds and penals by a case officer are now to be processed to grant this year.

There was no mention made by the officer of any ASCO groups being excluded from this - but I believe final arrangements for the processing of this cohort are yet to be established.

Best regards.

Guest Migration Help
Hi, i seriously hope that it not true that tradies have been excluded coz i dont know how many more knock backs we can take ?

We have been bumped off twice already and if what you have said is true the S**t will hit the fan totally. How this can be done baffles us, we are reading over and over again about the skilled shortages in WA (40,000 to be precise) so to put a hold on all tradies is ridiculous.

Tracy and Steve xx

Simple answer really. We have a union-backed Labour government desperate to right the 'wrongs' of the previous adminisatration. Our trade unions are flexing their muscles after years of being knocked back by the Coalition. They do not want tradies coming in from overseas. Full stop!

Kind regards

Sheelagh

PS One little ray of hope perhaps - the WA branch of one of our largest unions, the CFMEU, has pulled their support of the WA Labour party - see CFMEU Labor split - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

PPS Maybe the rest of the CFMEU will follow suit and withdraw nationally.

PPPS And then maybe all the unions will decide to withdraw support of any political party, thus taking the pressure off pollies on both sides of the political spectrum who are 'forced' to kowtow to less than 15% of the working population (i believe current union membership is under 15% but stand to be corrected).

PPPPS but then I also believe in Father Christmas and the Easter bunny ;)

Latest information is that DIAC is working out what it can say publicly, at the moment though it does seem that they will be able to accommodate visas for 3500 persons, ie something less than 2000 applications, who are in category 5. Expecting nothing more until tomorrow as those able to comment publicly are not currently available today.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Just to indicate what 3500 places might mean, these are the stats obtained from the ASPC at the MIA conference in early October:

State nominated with CSL, Unallocated 27, Allocated 720, Total 747

Family sponsored CSL, 1130, 279, 1409

All other CSL, 6335, 4289, 10624

All other State nominated, 3678, 0, 3678

MODL only, 12388, 0, 12388

Other, 15659, 0, 15659

Total, 39217, 5279, 44496

If we factor in the smaller numbers from the Brisbane Skilled Processing Centre and subtract the trades applicants, it seems most likely that every existing Category 5 applicant, and certainly those lodged prior to 23 September, will now be processed expeditiously. Assuming the rumour is confirmed, of course.

Cheers,

George Lombard

I'm just wondering, would 3,600+ SS applicants would greatly affect the immigration program for the year considering that many if not majority of these applications were about to be finalized and for which health and police checks had already been requested?

They opt to issue a new priority processing (9/23) with retro effect only to affect about 3thou+ applicants vs. Australia’s immigration reputation, act of fair play (although it's with the Minister's discretion to change policy), damaged lives and plans and among others. [my view as a priority 5 applicant] very frustrating:arghh:

Although I can see some light with Allan's previous post:unsure:

Keeping my fingers crossed!

“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.”

Cheers

Guest Justin JIANG
To confirm what we were advised by a senior ASPC officer at the seminar in Adelaide yesterday: Category 5 applicants who have been asked to arrange meds and penals by a case officer are now to be processed to grant this year.

There was no mention made by the officer of any ASCO groups being excluded from this - but I believe final arrangements for the processing of this cohort are yet to be established.

Best regards.

Hey Alan,

Would the applicant who has got the CO previouly and whose meds and penals are still valid and so not being requested by co, during the final stage of processing be granted the visa this year?

what do you mean by year in this case, is it the calendar year or immigration program year ending 30 June 2010?

Many thanks!

Guest Justin JIANG
Latest information is that DIAC is working out what it can say publicly, at the moment though it does seem that they will be able to accommodate visas for 3500 persons, ie something less than 2000 applications, who are in category 5. Expecting nothing more until tomorrow as those able to comment publicly are not currently available today.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hey George,

Nice to have some updated valuable news from you. I find that what Gill mentioned in her post is 3500 applications while not 3500 persons. Could you clarify the difference bewteen these two?

You have a private message from me. Thanks!

Cheers,

Hey Alan,

Would the applicant who has got the CO previouly and whose meds and penals are still valid and so not being requested by co, during the final stage of processing be granted the visa this year?

what do you mean by year in this case, is it the calendar year or immigration program year ending 30 June 2010?

Many thanks!

I have told you what I know, Justin.

I suggest you await further news as and when it becomes known.

Note that this only pertains to offshore skilled visa applicants (so far as I know).

Best regards.

Hi George.

I understand that the chap from the ASPC who made the announcement had clearance to make his comments.

Best regards.

Yes, no doubt David had clearance but having chosen to make the announcement at a business migration seminar and then going out of the office until Monday, someone else in DIAC will need to determine what can be stated publicly, otherwise they are being extremely cavalier with the release of commercially significant information.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest KatyNick

So from what I understand, applicants with a CO 'may' be processed. What do you think will happen to those (me included), who lodged at the beginning of September (no CO) but paid their monies in good faith - wait until 2012?!?!?!?

So from what I understand, applicants with a CO 'may' be processed. What do you think will happen to those (me included), who lodged at the beginning of September (no CO) but paid their monies in good faith - wait until 2012?!?!?!?

That is the official line from DIAC, yes.

Best regards.

Best regards.

Alan, George and others,

Thank you for giving us hints for the latest information.

Just my little question. If you now the answer, of course.

I made meds in advance without CO request. Will they include me in the process?

Guest bindog1uk

We, like others have applied for S.S. during July, not expecting to get it until around Jan/Feb, appied for visa's in August and have paid out around £6000 at the moment, have not yet done our PC,s and Meds yet, does anyone know how we stand at this moment in time. Surely DIAC cannot keep us on hold till 2012. Please someone give us a glimmer if hope!

It is a most unsatisfactory position, but can I suggest that there is no point in beating yourself up about the situation.

Make known your views to those who might be able to do something (eg the Minister, Opposition policians), and accept that little or nothing may happen.

Reconcile yourself to a possible 3 year processing time, get on with your lives, and periodically (not every day) check whether there is any news. If you have an agent s/he should let you know as soon as there is any news.

Change your expectations, and you will be happier as a result. Those 3 years will zip by, and you'll wonder where they went.

Best regards.

Guest bindog1uk

Thanks Alan, not the news I wanted to hear but its nice to know someone is listening even if its not the Australian Goverment, will just have to keep on fighting. Many thanks Lesley

So far as I know - unlikely.

Best regards.

Thank you Alan.

I hope you are wrong :huh: because we've been already waiting for our visas for 17 months and our meds are still valid. CO would definitely ask for them in August. It's a real as.. shaking rollercoaster not migration then.....

Archived