Good luck, jolaaled

Guest Gollywobbler

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

Jolaaled is a lady called Alison. She is a primary/pre-primary/special needs Teacher. A bit of a mixture but apparently the earlier that special needs are identified the better the outcome.

Alison is over 50. Her brother lives in Sydney. Originally she arranged for a year's sabbatical from her job and got herself a 12 month tourist visa for Oz.

She then joined Poms in Oz, asking tentatively about whether skilled migration to Oz might be possible for her despite her age.

Most people know that there is no upper age limit for a 457 visa, so temporary migration would defo be possible if one of the Education Authorities proved to be willing to sponsor Alison. PR might be more difficult but not necessarily impossible, particularly if Alison was willing to go to Regional Oz and to think in terms of an RSMS visa, I felt.

In any case, going to Oz on a 457 would be a start, on the principle that possession is 9/10 of the law. If she could get a job and her employers then want to keep her long term, an Education Authority should be able to get its own way with DIAC, I would hope.

Alison scoured all the State job websites for Teachers and eventually found a job in the Northern Territory which does sound like the adventure of a lifetime. She applied for the job and was selected on the strength of one telephone interview.

The NT won't sponsor Teachers for immediate PR. They insist on 2 terms on a 457 visa first in case the culture shock is too much.

However Alison's 457 visa was granted last Monday, 12th October. She left for Sydney yesterday, to spend a week with her brother there and then Bro will go with her to Darwin to help her to find a house to rent and to help her to get organised because she has told her employers that she will start work a fortnight today, 2nd November.

I've just checked Sydney flight arrivals and Alison's flight landed on time, so that is the first part of this long journey out of the way.

Her job sounds amazing. Apparently it is a special project which is aimed at persuading the people who live in the "Town camps and Homelands" in the Top End of the NT to send their 4 year olds to school. Alison will be based in Darwin so she will live there. Some of the time she will travel to visit the relevant communities. Apparently where possible they will fly her to the places concerned but other communities can only be reached by road - ie dirt track, ie 4 wheel drive.

The NT Education Authority will provide a suitable 4WD car and it is compulsory for Alison to have lessons to learn to drive this thing off-road. This is a lady who is used to driving a small Corsa and has no idea how to drive Land Rovers etc!

They also told her that it might be necessary to make camp on occasions - miles from anywhere. I assume/hope fervently that they will send at least one Ranger with her if any such thing might be necessary. :shocked:

The telephone interview sounds hilarious. The Territorians can be very laconic. The guy asked Alison how she felt she would cope with the climate in the Top End. She told him about the right clothing and Aerogard. He remarked that Aerogard does not deter crocodiles.....

I wish her all the luck in the world and I have specified that we want photos and video links of Alison's adventures in the NT. Hopefully she will post them on here but if that is too complicated, I will put her in touch with PommyPaul and hopefully he will do the wizardry with them so as to put them on here.

GOOD LUCK ALISON!!!! :hug:

Hugs

Gill

xxx

Guest guest30038

Good luck to Alsion and what a wonderful task she is taking on.............a special kind of lady :yes: :notworthy:

kev

Guest The Pom Queen

Wow what an adventure, enjoy your new life Alison, I am sure you will have lots of great stories to tell.

Well done!!!

Archived