What is it like for dogs to fly to oz??help

Guest bendeeg

Guest bendeeg

HI ALL,

CAN ANYONE PUT MY MIND AT REST!! REALLY WORRIED ABOUT MY DOG FLYING! DO THEY CHANGE PLANES? DID ANYONE GIVE THERE DOG ANY SLEEPING AIDS?? SEE ONE GUY SAID NOT TO COS IT GET SO COLD WHICH I DIDNT REALIZE!! MY DOG IS SOO TIMID AND HATES LOAD NOISES NOT SURE IF HE WILL MAKE IT BUT DONT HAVE ANYONE IM HAPPY TO LEAVE HIM WITH. THIS IS THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE ABOUT THE MOVE TO OZ, I THING I DO HAVE A VERY ACTIVE IMAGINATION AND PROBABLY THING IT WILL BE ALOT WORSE THAN IT REALY WILL BE SO ANY INFO GOOD OR BAD WOULD REALLY HELP ME DESIDE

THANKS DEE :wubclub:

HI ALL,

CAN ANYONE PUT MY MIND AT REST!! REALLY WORRIED ABOUT MY DOG FLYING! DO THEY CHANGE PLANES? DID ANYONE GIVE THERE DOG ANY SLEEPING AIDS?? SEE ONE GUY SAID NOT TO COS IT GET SO COLD WHICH I DIDNT REALIZE!! MY DOG IS SOO TIMID AND HATES LOAD NOISES NOT SURE IF HE WILL MAKE IT BUT DONT HAVE ANYONE IM HAPPY TO LEAVE HIM WITH. THIS IS THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE ABOUT THE MOVE TO OZ, I THING I DO HAVE A VERY ACTIVE IMAGINATION AND PROBABLY THING IT WILL BE ALOT WORSE THAN IT REALY WILL BE SO ANY INFO GOOD OR BAD WOULD REALLY HELP ME DESIDE

Hi Dee,

I think all us dog lovers tend to worry about how safe they will be whilst flying, There are many posts on the forum from members who have taken their dogs over, And they have come out the other side fine, we are hoping to take our two boys over with us, our only problem is one holds a tennis ball like a babies dummy and sadly he can't have this on the flight as they are classed as a choking hazard, so i hope he wont miss it too much, Im sure some people will be along soon to put your mind at rest!

All the best Dawn x

Hi,

Sedating healthy dogs is generally against IATA regulations. Think about it ,how will an airline personnel be able to visually verify your dog appears fit and healthy when loading/ unloading etc if it is sedated? (the captain signs on his manifest to accept the cargo of live animals and many as dog lovers themselves personally see the dog in the hold) Also your dog will need to intake water during the flight - sedation might keep them under longer than expected which could be risky.

Re the temparature, the cargo hold will not be cold like when your suitcases are there - they have to heat it for animals on board - our dog has flown 3 times and each time it has been set at 22c (we lived in the tropics) it may be slightly lower for a dog flying from the UK as dogs would be used to it slightly cooler.

Changing planes, yes i think most UK flights do need a change of aircraft to Aus. But there are strict regulations regarding the movement of animals. They are to be last on /first off the aircraft, cannot be made to wait on the tarmac (in a ventilated truck not literally) for too long and cannot do so in certain temperatures (ie hot countries in the day).

Your pet mover should be able to inform you of the change of planes your dog will make.

Regarding stress, yes I'm certain some dogs deal with it better than others. But there is a lot you can do to help and prepare your dog if you have time. Namely getting your dog used to being in and enjoying his flight crate for long periods (ie overnight). Used to being separate from you (hopefully he is already), used to loud noises and perhaps also used to drinking out of a water bottle (I prefer bottles to bowls for flights as they don't tip on take off).

If it helps I think we worry more than they do - dogs just deal with the here and now and after the event they generally forget any trauma quickly.

Guest Dionne and Rickie

Hiya we are also taking ours if we ever get there, a lab and a Boxer. I was just wandering when they change planes do they put them in the kennels for a while to stretch their legs and do we, wes and maybe something to eat just curious. I also didn't really think about water bottles silly i know as the water in a bowel will tip, just wandered how they cope from drinking out of one.:unsure:

Guest sh7t man no way
HI ALL,

difficult without wings --one would think---yes the do give dogs mild seditive--he will be fine and happy---but do remember his body clock will be totaly out of sorts--in nov he will start to grow his pom hair to protect against the english winter--but in aus it will be the start of there summer,and it gets hot.strait to the salon for a trim me thinks.

Guest Joanna1

Hiya

Don't worry...i'm sure ur dog will be fine.We brought our dog back to the UK with us and he was totally fine.He was only 10 months old too.We put one of his old towels in with him & a toy bone which he loved & was very strong so he could not break it & chew it. He has had to do 5 months in quarantine over here & we have only had him back since August & honestly you would never ever know what hes ben through he has settled in fantastic! They cope better than we do-I was the one sobbing after they collected him!

They may change planes just depends on the airline & route they fly but you will be told that once the flight is booked.

And we are thinking of going back to Oz in 12 months as we have not settled & we won't hesitate in taking him back with us!

difficult without wings --one would think---yes the do give dogs mild seditive--he will be fine and happy---but do remember his body clock will be totaly out of sorts--in nov he will start to grow his pom hair to protect against the english winter--but in aus it will be the start of there summer,and it gets hot.strait to the salon for a trim me thinks.

Sorry, but no they do not give sedatives. They will be refused boarding if they are sedated. The only thing permitted is DAP. But nothing systemic.

We have been told that we can include an old towel which smells of us (it is sitting in the bottom of our laundry basket now, getting as stonky as possible).

It's only 24 hours. They cope. (But I am going to be in bits as they drive off with him!)

Guest wanderer

If you get down to AW near Glastone BM you might just get to see a couple of hairy hounds on the beach there, great 5-6 km. stretch for them.

There's a woma'n from Austria I've met who has just come out on a tourist visa and she brought her GR with her; maybe she wants to find a way to stay.

And one time I was flying a light aircraft to help relocate a family with a Boxer and a cat and we think the cat got the dogs dose and Boxer got the cats from the vet for on first landing on a gravel airstrip, Boxer pops his head up at back of cabin - he was well used to car travel though and was no problem.

The cat on the other hand disappeared up a road culvert on arrival at a motel and didn't re-appear until late the next day!

But yeah, doggies cope well and they can't tell you how bad it was for them!

but do remember his body clock will be totaly out of sorts

Doggies don't really have a body clock like ours, so they don't suffer from jet lag / time differences in anyway.....which is hard work if you've arrived together and fido is raring to go while you need to sleep!

Dogs just generally sleep when it's dark and sleep a bit less than that during the day. One thing is for certain your dog will arrive hungry...and for those with labradors they do seem to know exactly how many meals they missed.

They are not fed en route if you have a few hour stop over (nor exercised) but water is obviously replenished for them.

I've responded a number of times to people about dogs travelling from the UK to Oz. However I am always happy to respond to these threads as I know absolutely how stressful the whole process is and worrying about animals is no exception.

I can only talk from my experience obviously - we brought over two dogs (Border Collie & Beagle) and a cat with us this time last year.

I was obviously very worried about what was going to happen to them, but had to put that to the back of my mind as the other option was to re-home them in the UK and for me that was not an option, it was bad enough having to leave my 19 year old son in the UK (but that's another story).

We left two weeks before out pets because I hadn't booked quarantine early enough!! Our animals arrived on a Wednesday, I received a call from Byford Quarantine (Perth) to advise that our pets had arrived OK and were well. I went down to visit them the next day and I can honestly say I've never seen them look so well.

Due to distance, I was only able to see them once a week, but they were well looked after and just before Xmas last year we picked them up and took them home - which was fantastic.

Our Border Collie is only two years old now, our Beagle is nine and our cat is two - they don't seem to have been affected by their experience and seem to enjoy their new life here.

For me, I cannot even think about the 24 hours they spent getting here otherwise my imagination takes over, what I have done is thought about how much harder it would have been to have left them behind.

Hope that helps in some way.

Karen x

Guest bendeeg
Sorry, but no they do not give sedatives. They will be refused boarding if they are sedated. The only thing permitted is DAP. But nothing systemic.

We have been told that we can include an old towel which smells of us (it is sitting in the bottom of our laundry basket now, getting as stonky as possible).

It's only 24 hours. They cope. (But I am going to be in bits as they drive off with him!)

thanks for the info, im feeling for you its so hard!! its not good buy but SEE YOU SOON

hope it goes well good luck xx

Guest The Pom Queen
-yes the do give dogs mild seditive.

Unfortunately vets are no longer able to give cats or dogs sedatives before flying, we were informed this by the AVA, I presume the BVA will also have the same guidelines. What you can do is use a Pheromone to help calm them for Dogs this would be DAP and for cats Feliway.

As others have said your dogs will be fine, it is us that stresses more than them.

I am not sure if your dog is use to a carrier, if not I would start getting them use to this 2 to 3 weeks before, a good idea is to start feeding your dog in the crate they will then start going in there happily and you won't have to stress them out just putting them in.

buddysmum- in addition to the towel you can also line the base of the crate with something called vetbed.

Vet bed is highly absorbant fluffy mat sort of thing - you can buy it in pet stores and also from ebay to fit your dogs crate. (non slip is best as it wont slide around the crate)

The benefit of vetbed over any other bedding is that if your dog spills his water bowl or desparately needs to urinate is will be absorbed in minutes and so will feel dry to touch for the dog - much less distressing than them sitting in soiled bedding for 24hours.

Hi Dee

Dont worry it will be fine. We have 2 staffs and flew them over in June.

My wife worried herself for weeks before they went because one doesnt like noises and the other cant be away from her side for more than a minute.

We gave them some toys and blankets and they arrived safe and sound, the hardest part for my wife was the visiting in Sydney when she had to leave them after each visit .

Four months on and no problems as both just as mad and still following her around.:arghh:

Hope this helps, and good luck with the move.

Guest The Pom Queen
buddysmum- in addition to the towel you can also line the base of the crate with something called vetbed.

Vet bed is highly absorbant fluffy mat sort of thing - you can buy it in pet stores and also from ebay to fit your dogs crate. (non slip is best as it wont slide around the crate)

The benefit of vetbed over any other bedding is that if your dog spills his water bowl or desparately needs to urinate is will be absorbed in minutes and so will feel dry to touch for the dog - much less distressing than them sitting in soiled bedding for 24hours.

Great post and something that a lot of people do not realise, another good one is the puppy pad it works like a childs nappy so if the dog does need a wee it doesn't have to sit in it for the rest of the flight.

Good point about the puppy pads. I forgot to add that vet bed is chew proof too.

I know a few people have mentioned toys in the crate but heathrows animal cargo policy is no toys whatsoever in the crate.....so be prepared that they may get left behind (so if its a prized toy and you cant get it in aus buy a spare!)

We got away with a kong toy on our first flight, it was shoved to the back of the crate and they must not have seen it. I filled it with a frozen water to give him something to occupy his time waiting for the flight.

On subsequent flights from the UK I did the same and was then told of the policy -all toys were removed and just bedding allowed.

Also if anyone is worried about transit routes, timings etc it is possible to stipulate with your pet moving company which airline you wish when obtaining the quote (from the selected lines and routes that permit animals).

I personally select BA where possible, they are sometimes slightly more expensive but I've had good experiences with them and flying my dog.

I hesitate to add this last bit as I don't want to upset anyone that's already booked/ travelled but it's something to cnsider for others. From my experience if you use a pet mover you do well to consider smaller local movers and not just the big names (and checking that they do the work and don't act as a middle man). Some of the pet movers near heathrow are very experienced and high volume movers, the benefit of this is they'll be totally clued up on sorting paperwork and dealing with any blood tests issues etc. (but so should small companies really) The downside is that they sometimes drop dogs off for cargo in bulk to check them in - even though their offices/kennels are just a few minutes drive away.

Twice when I have taken flights from heathrow I have been checking my dog in and wtinessed pet movers vans pull up with dogs for the same flight....and also dogs they have to check in for flights 4 and 6 hours after ours. Personally with a 4hr check in guide and the long flight I think the dogs spend enough time in their crates without arriving earlier still to sit in their crate.

• 4 weeks later...

My dog is a very laid back and maturing labdrador which may help but he seemed to cope well with the flight - his quarantine attendant, Naomi, told me he seemed perky enough when he arrived which I don't think he would've been had it been awful for him. As far as I can see, most breeds seem to fair quite well.

The way I looked at it is that it is a long trip but it is an even longer time without them.

If you want them to have toys and blankets etc though in quarantine, you will need to send or organise for new ones in Australia as AQIS will not allow "previously loved" toys and blankets due to potential risk.

Very best wishes with your move for both you and your furry pal

Karen

aww bless you, it will seem a long 24 hours, but I'm sure Dudley will be just fine. He'll have a good old sleep I reckon because of the motion of the plane and before you know it he will have touched down and will be getting lots and lots of fuss.

Are you following far behind?

Hiya we are also taking ours if we ever get there, a lab and a Boxer. I was just wandering when they change planes do they put them in the kennels for a while to stretch their legs and do we, wes and maybe something to eat just curious. I also didn't really think about water bottles silly i know as the water in a bowel will tip, just wandered how they cope from drinking out of one.:unsure:

The crates are sealed at this end and unsealed in oz the bottle is fastened to the mesh with a tray to drink out of ,a funnel is attached to the outside to top it up ,and they get nowt to eat

Our dogs will be making their journey with petairuk, all paper work and deposit ready to be sent!

WE used petair with Doc bob , as we were alraedy here had the gold package ,they were great did everything went to south yorks for his bloods and chipped him etc ,brilliant service and kept in touch to see how he was

Archived