Advise on moving back

Guest Greenmiller

Guest Greenmiller

Hello Peoples,

I'm currently on the guilt trip, Don't know whether or not I feel like I'm failing my family by deciding on going back to the UK. My Ethic is we will only have a small mortgage if any moving back.

It scares me (craps the hell out of me) taking on a mortgage here with the current prices and availabilty of work (I'm a mechanical design draftsman) it scares me to think the security of my current job, I've tried looking for other work and you don't even get a reply.

We're currently living in Brisbane.

We're tired of marching around house viewings only to be told it's sold then a couple weeks later it goes back on sale for $20,000 - $30,000 more!! Surely there's going to be a lot of pain here when (not if) interest rates go back up. Sorry peeps had to offload that one!!

A couple of questions if I may. Does anybody know if you can take your Australian HDTV to the UK and it will work? I've heard conflicting answers

Also a little bit of advise on transferring money back to the UK, is it worth the while shopping around third party foreign exchange companies - or is it a lot safer & hassle free with your own bank using Telegraphic transfer. I've been recommended HIFX has anybody used these guys?

Cheers People

Greenmiller

Guest siamsusie
Hello Peoples,

I'm currently on the guilt trip, Don't know whether or not I feel like I'm failing my family by deciding on going back to the UK. My Ethic is we will only have a small mortgage if any moving back.

It scares me (craps the hell out of me) taking on a mortgage here with the current prices and availabilty of work (I'm a mechanical design draftsman) it scares me to think the security of my current job, I've tried looking for other work and you don't even get a reply.

We're tired of marching around house viewings only to be told it's sold then a couple weeks later it goes back on sale for $20,000 - $30,000 more!! Surely there's going to be a lot of pain here when (not if) interest rates go back up. Sorry peeps had to offload that one!!

A couple of questions if I may. Does anybody know if you can take your Australian HDTV to the UK and it will work? I've heard conflicting answers

Also a little bit of advise on transferring money back to the UK, is it worth the while shopping around third party foreign exchange companies - or is it a lot safer & hassle free with your own bank using Telegraphic transfer. I've been recommended HIFX has anybody used these guys?

Cheers People

Greenmiller

Welcome to PIO Green. I would never feel guilty about your situation, you are merely acting responsibly for your family. I am sure many people can help you with your valid questions and may I wish you so much luck for yours and your family's future. ss x:wubclub:

Guest sh7t man no way

dont know about tv--but theres a lot of companys to transfer moneys,best to shop around---good luck with the times your going through--- hope it all works out,and it will.

Guest sassygal

Hi and welcome to PIO, I am sure you will get lots of support on here. How long have you been in OZ? I am sorry your having such a rough time of it at the moment. But please stop beating yourself up, your simply looking after your family and their best interests and you should never feel guilty about that, its harder to put your hands up and return back home if things havent worked out for whatever reason and you have to put you and yours first, which you are doing - so why would you feel a failure or guilty? Yourr looking at all options suiable to you and yours.

best wishes:hug:

Guest pegasus 90
Hello Peoples,

Cheers People

Greenmiller

Hi Greenmiller,

I know a couple of people who have used HIFX and gave glowing reports.

P 90

"Does anybody know if you can take your Australian HDTV to the UK and it will work? I've heard conflicting answers"

We have just moved back with a HDTV bought in OZ - looked up the make on line to see if it would be compatible and could not get a clear answer just info about the tuner but we brought it back anyway and once Sky attached it is working just fine-we haven't tried to tune it itself using the built in digital tuner yet though :laugh:

Guest June Pixie

Good position to buy back here in the UK - We went looking at a 5 bedroom new build in a, shock horror!, nice area and the sales lady was virtually giving it away. £180k for a 3 storey townhouse on a new estate in the Tyne Valley? Not too bad. I'm having second thoughts about moving to Australia at the minute as my monthly mortgage is less than a week's rent in Adelaide!!!

Good position to buy back here in the UK - We went looking at a 5 bedroom new build in a, shock horror!, nice area and the sales lady was virtually giving it away. £180k for a 3 storey townhouse on a new estate in the Tyne Valley? Not too bad. I'm having second thoughts about moving to Australia at the minute as my monthly mortgage is less than a week's rent in Adelaide!!!

For all you poms out there in Oz,who maybe thinking of coming back .....heres a few facts hot off the press.

I have a few mates well connected in the construction industry .....site managers and health and safety officers.

12 months ago things looked grim .......only 1 or 2 sites running ......wondering if there would be any long term work.

I spoke to this mate today ....i hadnt seen him for 6 weeks .

They now have a site with 5 years work com ing on stream , and another with 2 years work .....all of a sudden hes stacked out.

Its not all doom and gloom here .....all the lads in the pub are still working .....its just everything has tightened up.....people are now paying with cash ,and not maxing out there credit cards.......BRITAIN STILL RUMBLES ON !

Guest pegasus 90
For all you poms out there in Oz,who maybe thinking of coming back .....heres a few facts hot off the press.

I have a few mates well connected in the construction industry .....site managers and health and safety officers.

12 months ago things looked grim .......only 1 or 2 sites running ......wondering if there would be any long term work.

I spoke to this mate today ....i hadnt seen him for 6 weeks .

They now have a site with 5 years work com ing on stream , and another with 2 years work .....all of a sudden hes stacked out.

Its not all doom and gloom here .....all the lads in the pub are still working .....its just everything has tightened up.....people are now paying with cash ,and not maxing out there credit cards.......BRITAIN STILL RUMBLES ON !

Cheers Bunbury, it makes a nice change to hear something positive (especially for us lot who are coming home!). Typically all we get is the doom & gloom naysayers which get's on your nerves after a while. I'm glad to hear things are moving onward agin in the construction industry as that is a good litmus paper for how the economy is feeling. I have registered on a few job sites recently and I have been pleasantly surprised. I am receiving a few jobs on a daily basis, admittedly these are all in the south east so I can't comment on the rest of the country.

Hi Greenmillers

Oh, the old guilt trip - that's one that I am very familiar with! :yes:It took me ages and ages to feel okay about being here, despite us being sure as a family it was the "right" thing for us to do. I still have off days even now and my heart goes out to you because not being in work must magnify those feelings tenfold.

Whatever you decide to do, you are doing with your family's best interests at heart. Please don't feel bad for wanting to do right by them. I wish you all the very best.

I can't help with your TV question, unfortunately but we have used HiFX and they were fine.

Be happy - as long as you have your family around you, that's all that matters.

Sue x

Hi Greenmiller, Have you thought of trying a different state? If you like OZ it might be worth a try somewhere else, it's surprising how different the states are. I'm sure I saw lots of jobs in your sector (& good pay) in Perth while looking at jobs for my hubby. Can't remember which site they were on but try either www.macrorecruitment.com.au or www.seek.com.au . Good luck whatever you decide to do , & if you come home & want a home in south cheshire I've got a lovely one for sale!!!! X

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
Guest Rusty10

I have been reliably informed that ant newish TV is basically a monitor and should show the pictures from a cable,satellite box or a set top digibox. You run into problems if you use it standalone and just connect it to an ariel.

Hope that helps

We moved back last year after OH was made redundant and as we were on 457 had to leave as no other sponsorship was available in our town, we lived in Bunbury. We left our beautiful house over there and have just sold it after a year of stress and worry whilst having tenants and we still wouldn't change a thing.

We are glad we went to Oz and experienced the lifestyle for two years and it was a huge decision to return back to the UK, even though our hands were forced, we don't regret either decision and we've both managed to secure jobs since our return.

Hubby is also a Draughtsperson, he's structural and not much of that up here in the North East so he's currently having a change of career and is a Bridge Inspector. But there are heaps of Mechanical Drafting jobs advertised locally.

Things do seem to be picking up and remember us Pommies are very good at slating our own country and seeing the negatives only, we should learn to be more proud of our country like the aussies are.

good luck

Guest pegasus 90
"Does anybody know if you can take your Australian HDTV to the UK and it will work? I've heard conflicting answers"

We have just moved back with a HDTV bought in OZ - looked up the make on line to see if it would be compatible and could not get a clear answer just info about the tuner but we brought it back anyway and once Sky attached it is working just fine-we haven't tried to tune it itself using the built in digital tuner yet though :laugh:

I have just returned to the U.K and brought my Aussie HD LCD TV. we bought a set top box & all is hunky dory

p90

Archived