I went home and....

Guest Yorkie1974

Guest Yorkie1974

I went home to the UK for a 3 weeks and now I'm back in Aus.

As anyone who's read any of my posts knows I've battled with home sickness. So I took unpaid leave back to Britain and it made me realize why I moved in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, Australia has its faults and I still think the younger urban Aboriginal generation are in part a disgrace to their ancestry with anti social behaviour in certain parts of Perth.. I know, I live in Queens Park. However it makes me smile to some degree knowing they wouldn't last 2 minutes in Britain and put it down to youthful rebelion.

It really did take a return to Britain to see why I took the step of migration in the first place and going back was a culture shock to see how horrible things really are in the UK. Its dirty, the atmosphere is less tolerant and people generally are far less friendly.

So.. I came back to Australia and now regard this place more as home than ever. Rollercoaster ride of emotions? You bet! I've been from the holiday highs to the down right depressed lows but I think I'm at last finding my feet.

The thing is, I don't regret anything I've done or said because I know at some stage another migrant will come along and experience every emotion and family argument I've been through.

This is the toughest move anyone will ever make. Its not all holiday feeling and utopia and it has its low points, sometimes very low points. Stick with it if you can. To those who have slated me for my feelings and my experiences and without particular contructive argument.... You're not worth my words.

Anyone who wants to make this move needs a balanced view hence this forum exists. To those on the verge of moving back to the UK, just take a couple of weeks back there and the reason as to why you moved will become clear.

I don't plan on staying with my current employer but one thing is clear, I want to live here pemanently. Its not all holiday feeling, there's bills to pay, the usual domestic quibbles and the kids still get under your feet but its still a whole world away from the strife of the UK.

Guest guest17301

Thanks Yorkie. I'm pleased you're back in Perth and hope you'll be very happy. A very honest balanced post. Rings very true indeed.

Guest annemarie and brian

yorkie thanks for your lovely thread i am so glad you have done this and sorted your feelings out good luck with the rest of your life down under..

annemarie

Its not all holiday feeling, there's bills to pay, the usual domestic quibbles and the kids still get under your feet but its still a whole world away from the strife of the UK.

My sentiments exactly. Welcome back

Gill

What a fantastic post.

I think this should be required reading for anyone thinking of emigrating. It shows some of the highs and some of the lows.

I admire you for facing your homesickness and arranging a holiday (rather than a move back) and also your honesty; both to yourself in not sticking with your feelings of homesickness and for writing this honest post.

Thank you very much.

I hope that you will go on to make a wonderful life now in Oz, and that it will be the place where your heart is!

As anyone who's read any of my posts I've battled with home sickness. So I took unpaid leave back to Britain and it made me realize why I moved in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, Australia has its faults and I still think the younger urban Aboriginal generation are in part a disgrace to their ancestry with anti social behaviour in certain parts of Perth.. I know, I live in Queens Park. However it makes me smile to some degree knowing they wouldn't last 2 minutes in Britain and put it down to youthful rebelion.

It really did take a return to Britain to see why I took the step of migration in the first place and going back was a culture shock to see how horrible things really are in the UK. Its dirty, the atmosphere is less tolerant and people generally are far less friendly.

So.. I came back to Australia and now regard this place more as home than ever. Rollercoaster ride of emotions? You bet! I've been from the holiday highs to the down right depressed lows but I think I'm at last finding my feet.

The thing is, I don't regret anything I've done or said because I know at some stage another migrant will come along and experience every emotion and family argument I've been through.

This is the toughest move anyone will ever make. Its not all holiday feeling and utopia and it has its low points, sometimes very low points. Stick with it if you can. To those who have slated me for my feelings and my experiences and without particular contructive argument.... You're not worth my words.

Anyone who wants to make this move needs a balanced view hence this forum exists. To those on the verge of moving back to the UK, just take a couple of weeks back there and the reason as to why you moved will become clear.

I don't plan on staying with my current employer but one thing is clear, I want to live here pemanently. Its not all holiday feeling, there's bills to pay, the usual domestic quibbles and the kids still get under your feet but its still a whole world away from the strife of the UK.

Got back last sunday after 2 weeks in the roots (not home any more this is home) will post my ramblings later , not a bnp follower but I am not slaing asians grew up with a lot anf=d worked with a goood crowd , the uk now has a influx of gobby foreign pillocks who feel they are above the community and the law.

Always be from god own country mate (Yorkshire ) but home is here now

Mally

Guest WA WA WARRGH

Yorkie, I was really disliking it over here for various reasons after our move and I must say a visit back to the uk adjusted me as well. Not to the point where I want to stay in Oz but enough to settle me for a longer period. I think I just needed to see home, family and friends.

To be honest though If I were back in the UK the last place I'd live is inland and up North !! South is where its nicest .... weather .... people (soft southerners :) ....... lifestyle. Been a cracking summer over there as well this year and still warm now by all accounts. I'm over here for a year living and its nice but I'll be going home to good old south coast England when I'm done. Oz is a beautiful place with lots to do but its not home and never will be.

Archived