Which airway - advice please!!!!!!!!

Poca&Dan

Hello all,

We are at the point where we are researching the best airline to fly with (hoping for a visa to be approved anytime!!)

I have heard good things about singapore air but not much about any others.

I am basing my calculations on the baggage allowance and the charges for excess baggage.

So far I am torn between Etihad, Emirates and Korean Air. Emirates and Korean air are relatively cheap flight and charge 1.5% of the ticket per kilo over the baggage allowance. Emirates are more expensive but allow 30kg instead of 20kg.

Could anyone please share their experiences about these airlines, any recommendations, and whether I should just bite the bullet and pay extra for flights with Singapore air/Cathay Pacific and try to keep to the 20 kg limit.

I have been told that Singapore allow the baggage allowance to increase if you are migrating, but I believe that as we are only going on a 457 this won't apply to us!

Any advice would be much appreciated.....Thanks!:arghh:

Guest JoanneHattersley

WHen we flew here in `05 we flew AIr NZ via the states. Excellent baggage allowance - we had 64kg each - that was economy class!

Hello all,

We are at the point where we are researching the best airline to fly with (hoping for a visa to be approved anytime!!)

I have heard good things about singapore air but not much about any others.

I am basing my calculations on the baggage allowance and the charges for excess baggage.

So far I am torn between Etihad, Emirates and Korean Air. Emirates and Korean air are relatively cheap flight and charge 1.5% of the ticket per kilo over the baggage allowance. Emirates are more expensive but allow 30kg instead of 20kg.

Could anyone please share their experiences about these airlines, any recommendations, and whether I should just bite the bullet and pay extra for flights with Singapore air/Cathay Pacific and try to keep to the 20 kg limit.

I have been told that Singapore allow the baggage allowance to increase if you are migrating, but I believe that as we are only going on a 457 this won't apply to us!

Any advice would be much appreciated.....Thanks!:arghh:

On my last trip to Australia I flew with Korean Air could not fault them (well i can) On the leg from Soul to Melbourne they use the old plane where there are only a few tv's scattered about, and the food while really nice they do not have the best range. But the service is 2nd to none and makes up for everything else. Take a book nintendo ds etc and you will have a fantastic trip.

My last trip with Emirates has put me off ever with flying with them again. Service was poor they served breakfast for tea and breakfast. Before this I had flown alot with them and i'd say they are a good airline no more no less.

Qantas poor service and wouldn't use them again.

As for your luggage take very little hand luggage with you when you check in (let someone look after it) they tend to overlook over weight bags.

Also I believe if you phone the airline in advance and show them your visaday on the the double you luggage allowance. There has been threads about this

On my last trip to Australia I flew with Korean Air could not fault them (well i can) On the leg from Soul to Melbourne they use the old plane where there are only a few tv's scattered about, and the food while really nice they do not have the best range. But the service is 2nd to none and makes up for everything else. Take a book nintendo ds etc and you will have a fantastic trip.

My last trip with Emirates has put me off ever with flying with them again. Service was poor they served breakfast for tea and breakfast. Before this I had flown alot with them and i'd say they are a good airline no more no less.

Qantas poor service and wouldn't use them again.

As for your luggage take very little hand luggage with you when you check in (let someone look after it) they tend to overlook over weight bags.

Also I believe if you phone the airline in advance and show them your visaday on the the double you luggage allowance. There has been threads about this

Did you get any bbq dog recipes off them geoff?:biggrin:,nah seriously............singapore were superb with us,deffo using them again,if only to have another few days in singapore itself.

Did you get any bbq dog recipes off them geoff?:biggrin:,nah seriously............singapore were superb with us,deffo using them again,if only to have another few days in singapore itself.

Thats good to know- we been researching too waiting for visa ! But then we found bargain flights with Singapore Air for next June so booked them !! :jiggy:

Thats good to know- we been researching too waiting for visa ! But then we found bargain flights with Singapore Air for next June so booked them !! :jiggy:

I have been told by singapore air that if you have a visa which states that you are going to oz indefinately - 175, then your baggage allowance will be doubled to 40kg!!

I always go Qantas and have yet to have a bad flight (there will always be a first no doubt) but whichever one you go with (and it is only 24 hours of your life after all!) join up with their frequent flyer program because you never know when the points will come in handy! I get a free trip home every 4th trip because of my trips and my normal credit card usage - some of them are even free to join.

Guest proud2beaussie

I travel on many airlines for business purposes but for my personal travel I always choose Qantas,they have excellent crew,the food and drink is second to none and the frequent flyer program as mentioned by Quoll is excellent.

I would never fly with another carrier on the Australia-UK route unless it was business travel and I wasn't paying for it.

Archived