Confused About UK to AU Driving Licence?

emmaj

Im sure ive read somewhere that points can not be put on your uk driving licence and that you can drive on a full uk licence....so my question is, why do you change over? Whats the benefit?

If i stay on my UK licence over a certain period of time, will i have to re-sit my test to get an Aussie licence?

Thanks

Emma

Guest John Sydney

As a tourist you can drive on a UK licence - however once you be come a Permanent resident you have to change over to Australian Licence. ( your UK Licence to drive becomes in valid ) Usually this means you go in and change your licence over no tests except eye sight

Another thing to consider is that your Australian licence is often asked for as ID. Oz loves making you show ID,lol, and your medicare card and licence are the 2 main sources.

If you do take up permanent residency you HAVE to convert your licence within 12 weeks anyway, so personally even on a 457 after 11 or 12 weeks i would change mine.

Cal x

Guest D4nnyB0y

When we went into the licensing centre in WA we were told that a UK license was only valid for up to 3 months after arrival after which you have to be in posession of an AU one

Although it does't matter now, I was told that I had to apply for an Australian drivers licence within the first 3 months of arriving or else I would have to take the driving tests in Australia. It might have been based on my visa - a de facto visa, 309 - but I do remember being told by someone that to prevent having to do the test in Australia which is an extra cost, I would have to apply within the 3 months of arriving. Good thing is that I still have my UK drivers licence with me if I return to the UK.

Guest The Pom Queen

All states are different but in Victoria if you are on a temp visa there is no need to change, if you are on a PR visa you have 3 months, however, we have just had a client come over on a PR Visa who had to sit the test (not from UK) and because there were no test dates available, it took her over the 3 months so she couldn't change straight to a full license but had to start on a Learner Permit, so if you do need to take the test try and get a test date before the 3 months have expired!!

Guest D4nnyB0y

Any licensing centre can do this. Take ID with you and your UK license (passport and license is best), plus proof of address

They'll take a photo and you're pretty much done :)

There are a number of things that you can't tranfer over. I have A,B,B+E, C, C+E but I can only tranfer my A and B cats over which is a bit of a bummer. I don't have to change my UK licence over until I am a PR and I am not able to get a NSW licence until I have lived in NSW for at least 6 months. The only good thing, is that my 3 points from the UK can't be transfered, winner!!!

• 1 month later...
Guest proud2beaussie

I'm unaware of any changes to rules regarding UK licenses but it would be best for you to check with the driving authority in the relevant state.

Guest guest30038
As a tourist you can drive on a UK licence - however once you be come a Permanent resident you have to change over to Australian Licence. ( your UK Licence to drive becomes in valid ) Usually this means you go in and change your licence over no tests except eye sight

Just to clarify..........your UK licence only becomes invalid in Oz. It still retains it's status if you return/drive in the UK.

kev

Hi Emma,

There is a licence centre in Joondalup and they will do it there and then for you. Go on google and you will find a list of centres around your area.

Be prepared to pay a little ( Cant remember how much! ) and they will need I.D. and proof of address etc.

Your photo will be taken and you will do a simple eye test and then your new licence will arrive by post in about 2 weeks.

All the Best.

Guest The Pom Queen
Just to clarify..........your UK licence only becomes invalid in Oz. It still retains it's status if you return/drive in the UK.

kev

Umm unless they put a hole punch through it like they did with ours many moons ago:wubclub:

Archived