Something with 7 seats...

Guest Impatient

Guest Impatient

Following on from my leather thread (!!!), any thoughts about 7-seaters in Oz? We will have 3 smallies by the time we go, so looking for 3 full size seats across the back for car seats to fit in. Unfortunately, Mrs Imp is not convinced that 3 is enough and wants to reserve the right to have another one, so looking for something that could take more if I lose that fight.

Drive an Alhambra at the moment, which is ace for our needs, but could probably manage with something a bit smaller, maybe with a fold up pair of seats if needed.

Not sure what is out there, but any pointers before we trog around some dealers would be ace.

We have three kids and we are planning on purchasing a Nissan Pathfinder after loads of research. It has seven seats and plenty of room. My husband is planning on buying himself a seven seater Subaru Tribeca when we arrive. I have a people carrier here (a Grand Voyager Limited) but it has major reliability issues. We have heard the same of a few of the other people carriers.

Guest guest32067
Following on from my leather thread (!!!), any thoughts about 7-seaters in Oz? We will have 3 smallies by the time we go, so looking for 3 full size seats across the back for car seats to fit in. Unfortunately, Mrs Imp is not convinced that 3 is enough and wants to reserve the right to have another one, so looking for something that could take more if I lose that fight.

Drive an Alhambra at the moment, which is ace for our needs, but could probably manage with something a bit smaller, maybe with a fold up pair of seats if needed.

Not sure what is out there, but any pointers before we trog around some dealers would be ace.

when we were there we brought an Ssangyong Stavic 7 seater plenty of room. Very nice to drive.

SsangYong Motor Australia : Showroom : Stavic

Guest The Pom Queen

We have a Kia Carnival and think it is great, we have driven to Brisbane twice from Melbourne, we have never had any problems with it apart from a gear cable snapping which cost us $400 to put right.

We have been on the look out for a better car but one where we can still fit a large number of passengers and still get luggage in etc. We haven't yet found one as versatile as the Carnival. You can remove any of the back seats so you could use it as a van if wanted, or you could have the 3 seats in the back and remove one in the middle to give you extra leg room.

We loved the Toyota Kluger but on the 7 seater model the back seats do not have a leg well, so are only suitable for 2 car seats with infants in.

We also looked at the Territory but it was the same with the back seats as the Kluger. We also looked at the Tarago but there wasn't as much room to move around. So it looks like we will probably go for another Carnival.

My Prado has two fold-up removable seats in the back, but you'd want pretty stumpy legs to fit in them. Many car manufacturers give you the option of fitting seats in the back of station wagons if you don't want a full-on fourby; we had a Falcon with Ford-genuine seats in the boot.

Guest sk1nny

Chrysler Voyager, long wheel base...is perfect we've had no issues with it that we didn't create ourselves (i.e. knocked the wing mirrors trying to get in the garage without flipping them in first)

Everything is electric, windows, seats, mirrors, can remove the back row and/or middle seats to use for transporting goods. Middle seats fold down to use as tables.

Have friends who've been unlucky with their Voyager needing re-gasing in A/C unit but we've had no problems what so ever. We'll be buying a newer one within a couple years I guess. This one is nearly 10 years old & has been fabulous.

We went for a Tarago as we have a fair-sized tribe! We had a Galaxy in the UK and the Tarago gives us that bit more space. It has 8 seats and we still have a boot.

For you it would be great when the kids want to have friends come home, or when family come to visit. There are smaller 7-seaters, but I would always go bigger just in case.

Guest gary12
Quite a few of the familys i know who needed a larger vehicle have bought Kia Carnivals. They seem to be a nice car with lotsssss of space inside.

Cal x

We hired a Kia Grande Carnival a couple of weeks ago...fantastic, loads of space really comfortable seats can fold or be taken out.

Gets my vote!

Michelle

Are the Kia's in Australia more reliable than the ones here in the UK? It would be perfect for our family but after our Chrysler experience, reliability is key for us. I know so many other twin families here in the UK that have had major Kia problems and it worries me but practically speaking, it would be the perfect car.

Guest threespire

Has anyone tried a Mitsubishi Outlander with three child seats on the second row?

This car has been suggested to us, but we're not sure that they will fit.

Any advice???

Are the Kia's in Australia more reliable than the ones here in the UK? It would be perfect for our family but after our Chrysler experience, reliability is key for us. I know so many other twin families here in the UK that have had major Kia problems and it worries me but practically speaking, it would be the perfect car.

If your major concern is reliability then I would choose either a Honda or Toyota, but they are more expensive...

Has anyone tried a Mitsubishi Outlander with three child seats on the second row?

This car has been suggested to us, but we're not sure that they will fit.

Any advice???

I found the Outlander to small and cramped, after all it's an SUV same as Rav 4 it's not a proper 4x4....

Guest threespire

Thanks Imp for starting your vaguely useful thread !!!! We're in exactly the same boat as you with the 3 kiddywinks, but we have a 4.5 year old and 15 month old twins, so like you need to get 3 car seats on the middle row. We're going to Oz in October for my sister's wedding and had booked to hire the outlander (on advice) but will probably now change to the Kia Carnival based on comments on here.

We drive an S-Max at home and used to have a Pajero, not sure what we'll buy if and when we eventually get to move to Oz permanently !!!

Cheers all,

Kirsty and family x

Guest The Pom Queen

I know they had a bad rep prior to 2003 models but they made changes and like mentioned we have not had any problems with ours (2004 model) deposite the km/mileage we have covered.:wubclub: I have also looked at the Chrysler but they just aren't as spacious as the Carnival.

Guest threespire

Just for info, we went to try our seats in th eoutlander this weekend and they all fitted fine on the middle row with room to spare. We have 2 Group 1 Britax Renaissance seats (quite large) and a Graco high backed booster. We're going to stick with the outlander for our hire in October and look at maybe buying a Carnival, Grandis, Honda Odyssey or similar when we eventually move to Oz. The boot was enormous and we fitted our twin side by side 'Out 'n' About' 3 wheeler buggy in no probs again with much room to spare!

Kirsty x

• 3 weeks later...
Guest paulandsharron

We've just got a new Kia Grand Carnival -brilliant! Loads of space, 8 seats, great driving position, looks smart, very affordable. Ours has a 3.8 V6 engine so it can move too. Yes, the old Kia Sedonas/Carnivals were suspect, but the new models are great - 5 year unlimited KM warranty too.

We just spend all saturday tramping round all the car dealers looking for a 7 seater.

Hugely impressed with the Toyota Tarago, but we fancied a 4 wheel drive. Outlander & Ford Teritory cramped, Pajero & Prado v expensive. Think we will plump for a Holden Captiva as it ticks all our boxes & looks good.

Bear in mind a 4 cylinder a lot cheaper on Rego, insurance & fuel than a 6 cylinder!

Archived