Are plumbers in as high a demand as we have been told ??

Guest ptmad

Guest ptmad

Hi all!

We are new to your site, have found out soooo much just in one day from you guys, its great to read info in plain english.

Right getting down to this thread, my hubby is a plumbing and heating engineer, he has also spent time on air conditioning, and is a civil engineer ( on paper)

We have family in oz, and have been looking into moving for sometime, just not had the bottle , but now is the time to bite the bullet and go.

we just dont know how to go about it all, we have been told we pass the point system by various companys who then want shed loads of money off us before they even start.

Its a total mine field, I'm very excited and cant eat or sleep, I know its gonna be a long process. But PLEASE can someone point us in the right direction, how easy will it be for my hubby to get a job ?? if we can do this we will have very limited funds when we get out there, so finding a job is the first thing on the list.

We know its not gonna be easy, and are very used to hard work .

Please Please help cheers ptmad:confused:

Hiya PDmad

my oh is a plumbing and heating engineer too. We used a migration agent for our visa application and although it did cost about £1600 on top of all the actual visa and skills assessment fees it was worth every penny. We are just awaiting the final outcome any day now. My oh will need to find a job quite quickly too (we hope to be able to buy a place outright but dont want to use much of our money in living expenses). According to our agent loads of plumbers are going so there must be something there, some areas are much better than others. Recently visited and when speaking to locals typical reply was 'geeze mate you'll get a job, no worries, now what about the cricket!' Seriously, there is a huge amount of new development in some areas, just depends on where you fancy going. You should be aware though that some retraining will be necessary to gain a 'full' licence'. You will need to start on a provisional licence (i.e. under supervision of a qualified plumber with a full licence). The amount of retraining you will have to do will depend on your qualifications now, my OH has everything from City & Guilds with full apprenticeship to all the new stuff along with CORGI etc and will still need to do a course but we dont mind that as its a little different out there. We are also hoping to land on the Gold Coast as it seems to work for all of us there. What about you?

Lyn

Hi ptmad, Can't help you loads but just a bit of info. Check the jobs on

http://www.careerone.com.au, that will give you an idea of how in demand your OH job is.

My husband is also a plumber/air cond engineer we are applying to go to Aus but we are using an agent, however there are lots of people on here that do it themselves and they get loads of advise on what you have to do i.e. TRA etc...

I'm sure you will get people answering your thread and giving good advise and also giving web sites for you to check out if your going to do the visa without an agent.

Gd Luck

Guest cheryl

Hi my husband is a plumber, we visited perth last april we spoke to lots of locals whilst out there about work, theres tons of building work going on we were told they crying out for plumbers. Don't think you will have a problem getting a job with a trade like this.

Best of luck where ever you end up.

Cheryl

• 3 months later...

We have been trying to get a Plumber out for 3 days with no luck so get over here quickly! No Joke! Frustrating when the plumbers tell you their voice mail is full and they can't even get back to talk to you for 2-3 days! Hate to have a serious problem!

Sydney in drought of Plumbers due to Western Australian boom! It was even all over the radio this morning about how hard it is to find any tradesmen in Sydney and how long it is taking to get someone out!

Liam

Guest Laura G

Hi,

My OH is a Plumber on the Gold Coast, found work really easy, he is on a temp licence, his earning money so he has not looked at doing the course for his full licence.

We used a Migration Agent and I'm glad we did, we used This Is Australia Migration Services, we met them at the Emigrate show in Sandown, there fee is in Australian Dollars, so it works out cheaper than using a UK Migration Agent, also as they are in Oz, there is no VAT to pay on top of their fee, everything was done over the E-mail sytem or Post which took about 5 days.

This Is Australia, are on the Gold Coast, so for me I found it very helpful that they were near me once I arrrived as I could pop in and get advice about the area and other things, I think I needed them more once I arrived.

Good Luck

Laura

Guest thekeg95

This was on yahoo

Thursday August 2, 07:34 AM

Pay pours in for plumbers: report

The cash is pouring in for plumbers, who can command $1,500 a day because of a tradesmen shortage.

Plumbers are now the highest paid of the building industry's 400,000 tradespeople, The Australian newspaper reports.

A joint Housing Industry Association and Austral Bricks report, released, shows plumbers were the group of tradespeople in shortest supply in most capital cities and regional centres in the June quarter.

According to industry sources, it was difficult to find a plumber willing to work for less than $1,500 in most capital cities, with some demanding up to $2,000, The Australian said.

The Master Plumbers and Mechanical Services Association of Australia could not be contacted for comment, the newspaper said.

However, Builders Collective of Australia president Phil Dwyer had told the paper the trades shortage had resulted in a 71 per cent increase in building costs in the past five years.

so it must be out there

regards

STEVE

Hello

There does seem to be alot of jobs in QLD paying about $30 dollers per hour. Plus Super (pension). No sick or Holidays (some companys may pay this). The agencies are a good source of work. brad.watts@hays.com.au sound him out and hopfully he'll give you some info.

Not sure of the reports of $1500 dollers a day sounds a little like reports in England of plumbers earning 70,000 - 100,000 pounds per year. I think these reports are from a pissed off editer who thinks he got ripped off or govenment proper gander (if that is the right words to use.)

John

Guest thekeg95

You mite find that this is the rate that the boss is getting in some cases.

I know of a place in Melbourne paying $50 per hr so i'll bet there not the only ones

STEVE

Guest jonseywife
You mite find that this is the rate that the boss is getting in some cases.

I know of a place in Melbourne paying $50 per hr so i'll bet there not the only ones

STEVE

Hi Steve

Thats brilliant $50 p/hour or even $30 ............ OH is city & guilds trained plumber/gas engineer with over 25yrs experience and we are heading for Melbourne very soon, so we would love this place/name and number........ pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease !!!!!!!!

Or any names of Agencies or decent plumbing firms would be a great help......... Thanks !!!!!! :notworthy:

Guest mandy1

Hi

My oh is also a plumber/heating engineer & we're heading out to Perth in November (once house is sold) We did the visa and tra ourselves and we were successfully granted a visa at the end of May. Its good to hear that there seems to be a lot of work out there not sure about the $1500 a day though as another poster says its a bit like people thinking that plumbers here are on £70 000 a year (we wish-lol). Its all very exciting isn't it?

Mandy x

Guest zoe cox

hi im zoe my oh is anhgv driver and we dont think thats gona get us in,we are considering him taking an evening class course on basic plumbing to start of,or myself taking a more indepth course during the wk.how much experience do you need to get in and could we finish our training over there if we got in.

thanks zoe n rich

Guest oz migration

Hi

If any plumbers wish to locate full time work or to set up their own business, please go to the website (below) and click on the left hand menu : Professions In Demand (Others) fill out as much detail as you can + current CV and I will get back to you.

Guest jonseywife
Hi

If any plumbers wish to locate full time work or to set up their own business, please go to the website (below) and click on the left hand menu : Professions In Demand (Others) fill out as much detail as you can + current CV and I will get back to you.

Thanks for that.............

But I noticed you were in Queensland.......... were heading for Melbourne later on this year, so just wondered if you cover all of Oz ????????

Cheers

Sally-ann

Guest fatpom

There's recently been a lot of bull about plumbers earning $1500/day. Whilst it might happen occasionally don't plan your life around it. Especially not your mortgage.

If I'm doing a budget costing for projects (industrial & plant upgrades) I work on $80/hr for self employed plumbers (not employee rates). This is still bloody good money though, a sparky is around $60/hr & mechanical fitter $40/hr. The plumbers work is no more technically difficult or skilled than either the sparky or fitter so I wouldn't be complaining if I were a plumber. I for one am glad that tradesmen are getting a bigger piece of the pie than they used to.

Call me cynical if you like, but the reason so many plumbers & sparkies are currently being allowed to emigrate is because the top end of town is sick of paying these rates?... so enjoy whilst it lasts... the law of supply & demand.

Guest AndyandAlly
Hi all!

We are new to your site, have found out soooo much just in one day from you guys, its great to read info in plain english.

Right getting down to this thread, my hubby is a plumbing and heating engineer, he has also spent time on air conditioning, and is a civil engineer ( on paper)

We have family in oz, and have been looking into moving for sometime, just not had the bottle , but now is the time to bite the bullet and go.

we just dont know how to go about it all, we have been told we pass the point system by various companys who then want shed loads of money off us before they even start.

Its a total mine field, I'm very excited and cant eat or sleep, I know its gonna be a long process. But PLEASE can someone point us in the right direction, how easy will it be for my hubby to get a job ?? if we can do this we will have very limited funds when we get out there, so finding a job is the first thing on the list.

We know its not gonna be easy, and are very used to hard work .

Please Please help cheers ptmad:confused:

Hi just reading this thread, if you havn't sent in your TRA forms yet, take a look at he new VETASSESS assement, you are assessed in this country and given an AUS certificate

From the website :-

What are the benefits of the new arrangements?

Some of the benefits are:

• Successful applicants will have more certainty than they do now that they will be able to work in their nominated occupation upon arrival to Australia.

• Applicants in the licensed electrical and plumbing occupations will receive an outcome that will entitle them to a provisional licence which will allow them to work under supervision without having to undertake additional skills testing once they arrive in Australia.

• Applicants in non-licensed occupations will receive an Australian qualification that demonstrates they have the full range of skills of the trade.

• Unsuccessful applicants will be provided with a detailed assessment outcome. This will provide them with guidance on additional training and/or work experience required to meet the standard.

Hope this is of some help?

Ally

Archived