shipping new white stuff!!!!

Dawny

Hi any rules on shipping new white stuff over? We are in need of a new washing machine and tumble drier, am i right in thinking these have to be seen as over a year old, Oh also is it worth the microwave coming with us and also a new hoover! Or is it worth buying new once we are there????

Sorry about all the questions lol xx

If you are buying new i would get them here. If you are buying a few items you would get a nice discount anyway and if anything went wrong the shop is down the road and not the other side of the world.

The only item you mention that i WOULD buy and ship is a hover (Dyson type) as they seem expensive here.

Quarantine say you must have owned items for 12mth but this is more to stop mass importing of stuff, many many people have brought one or two new items over and never had any problems.

Cal x

Guest jenny4nails

I bought my Henry hoover over...plus LOADS of replacement bags and vacuum bag freshners, and really glad I did. I wish we had bought our washer/dryer over as it was fab....I know you can get front loader washers here...but in our rental we've got a top loader...and it wrecks your clothes!

As long as you remove all the packaging from any new items, remember to take the polysterene out the back of a new washer! and get your removal guys to wrap it in their packaging you'll be fine. If your paying for a container and you have the room, I'd bring over what I had instead of selling it for next to nothing...like we did before we left the UK.

Hope this helps

Jenny

Hi any rules on shipping new white stuff over? We are in need of a new washing machine and tumble drier, am i right in thinking these have to be seen as over a year old, Oh also is it worth the microwave coming with us and also a new hoover! Or is it worth buying new once we are there????

Sorry about all the questions lol xx

questions, questions, questions :biglaugh:

Guest tjmac

W bought our dryer but bought new washer, fridge freezer and microwave and got a really good deal! about $4k for top of range stuff.... I just bought a new dyson over here and got for $420.. everything negotiable over here so you can barter them down on everything its great! just got over a $100 off a new sony digital camera too! There was quite a few things we got rid of and wished we'd bought with us... bring as much as i'd say! Everything we got rid of and needed to buy again seems really expensive over here! especially kids toys and pushchairs etc...

good luck with the move

tara

If you're going to buy new, do it over here. The prices are similar, if not a bit cheaper here if you shop around and you get full warranties etc. I see no advantage whatsoever in buying in the UK then going to the expense of shipping.

Bob

If you're going to buy new, do it over here. The prices are similar, if not a bit cheaper here if you shop around and you get full warranties etc. I see no advantage whatsoever in buying in the UK then going to the expense of shipping.

Bob

Totally agree and this is what we did, it also means you are not inconvenienced whilst waiting for your container. I do think though that when your new and look at the dollar signs you automatically think its more expensive because your brain is still in GBP mode,lol.

Cal x

Guest jenny4nails
Totally agree and this is what we did, it also means you are not inconvenienced whilst waiting for your container. I do think though that when your new and look at the dollar signs you automatically think its more expensive because your brain is still in GBP mode,lol.

Cal x

That's for sure...been here 4 months now...and still can't get my head around that prices in dollars aren't GBP!! I look at things and go "How much??!!" - then like you say Cal...think "it's not pounds...it's dollars!" - weird! lol :confused:

That's for sure...been here 4 months now...and still can't get my head around that prices in dollars aren't GBP!! I look at things and go "How much??!!" - then like you say Cal...think "it's not pounds...it's dollars!" - weird! lol :confused:

Two years in, I'm having the opposite experience. At first I'd mentally divide every price to get back to pounds and be pleasantly surprised. Now that I've been here for a while, I've stopped converting and just complain about prices on principle.

Every so often I need to look at a few UK shops online to make myself feel way, WAY happier when I realise I'm buying steak for the price of Tesco premium mince!

Bob

Guest jenny4nails

Agreed Bobbsy!! Got 4 gorgeous organic fillet steaks for $11.56 from Noosa farmers markets, they were delicious and what a great price!!! But I still can't see why chocolate bars are soooo expensive here...why would you wanna pay $2.40 for a snickers??!! Good job I don't like chocolate! tee hee!

we bought brand new Miele washing machine & dryer before we came over. Took off the wrapping one day, and the packers arrived the next day, and wrapped it up again. All was fine.

We had researched prices, and because we wont use anything but Miele for the laundry, we decided to buy at home, but as most OP's have said, you can get very good deals on anything electrical if you are buying a number of items at one store. We got nearly $1000 off a combi microwave & Fridge/freezer when we first arrived.

I guess it can work both ways. I just looked up the Samsung model that I got for $589.99 here and Comet want £349.99 so Aus is a fair bit cheaper. However, at the time I bought, Queensland was doing a $200 rebate for water efficient washers so, in effect, I got it for $389.99. I know you can't count on this sort of rebate but even without it, "The Good Guys" was cheaper than Comet.

It all depends on make, model and shopping around. It's probably not fair to generalise that either place is cheaper.

Bob

Just to make your thoughts and comparison more difficult....

...be aware that, since arriving here a couple of years ago I have never once paid the sticker price for any appliance that I've purchased. Salesmen down here are very used to people asking "and what is your BEST price for that...?". Indeed, quite often they'll dig out the calculator and offer a discount of between 5% and 25% without even being asked. The only exception to this is where we've bought something in a sale, i.e. already heavily discounted.

Bob

Archived