Certifying Docs - a Notary or a Solicitor needed?

julzcary

Just been to visit my friendly solicitor and notary who certifies my documents, to find out he's on holiday for a few weeks, and that he's the only notary in the area.

Is is ok for the docs to be certified by a Solicitor or does it have to be a Notary? Anyone had them done by a solicitor and they be fine?

If I wait for my solicitor to return from hols, I will miss the date when the fees go up:sad:

Thanks

Julie

Guest Fulwood
If a doc was OK, then surely a solicitor rather than a notary is going to be ok isnt it?

I would have thought so. I used a friendly Policeman friend (yes there are some!) and not had any problems. We also got one thing witnessed by a College lecturer and have not had any issues.

Guest threespire

Hi there,

I asked this question numerous times as it seemed a bit hit and miss who could and couldn't do it - as others have said some have been fine with policemen, doctors etc.. Eventually I got a reply from the Immi dept in London and have attached the file for you - it says solicitor is fine !!

The following information sheet is produced by the London Contact Centre for clients

residing in the UK and Republic of Ireland.

Who Can Certify Documents

Australian Terminology

Practising lawyer

Magistrate

Public notary

Justice of the Peace

Commissioner of Declaration

Position/agency recognised by the law of the country to certify

documents

UK

Solicitor

Magistrate

Notary Public

Justice of the Peace

Commissioner for Oaths

Officer of a Court appointed by a Judge to take affidavits

IRELAND

Solicitor

n/a

Notary Public

n/a

Commissioner for Oaths

Peace Commissioner

Please note:

In Scotland a Councillor may also certify documents.

A Registered Migration Agent may certify copies of original documents for

visa applications they make on behalf of clients.

Contact Centre, Migration Branch, Australian High Commission, London

Telephone: 09065 508 900 (cost of this service is £1 per minute from BT lines and charges may vary

for other providers and mobile phone users)

E-mail: http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/forms/europe/

Page 1 of 1

Version 12/11/2008

Hope that helps??

Kirsty x

Guest Magnetic6
Thanks for that - its helpful. Just dropped them off at a notary's office for him to give me a price. If its a lot, I'll stick with a solicitor!

Thanks again.

Hi

If it is expensive and you have a Magistrates Court near to where you live it might be worth going there.

I had mine certified recently and it cost £25 regardless of how many copies needed to be done it's just the standard fee and they couldn't have been more helpful.

natalie

I used to work in a Bank (Lloyds TSB) & before I left I got one of my colleagues (as 'Bank Official') to certify as true copies everything we might need for the Visa, & I had no problems getting my visa as a result. If you're applying on-line & scan all original docs in & attach to application, I THINK (double check) they may not even need certifying.

Kath

Thanks for all your helpful responses. I'll see what the notary wants to charge me and I'll decide what to do. Just want to get them in before the 1st July, so even if it was £50, its going to be cheaper than the increase :)

Guest deebbzz

hi

we used a police officer. as he was a friend. you are also able to use a pharamsist, doctor, just think of the people u are allowed to sign your passport docs and you can use the same.

you dont have to use solicitor (saves u money) just have a look on the interent for people who are able to sign you passport and u would be fine.

they are just looking for someone which our goverment finds acceptable.

Guest tjmckay

We got all our documents certified by the Justice of peace at our local citizen advice office for FREE, check out your local office:

Archived