The All New Fishing Thread

Guest Working to fish

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pete and Lou

Thanks for that mate. The boat is bigger than 4.8 but a life jacket on the way out would have been wise. I have contacted the bloke I did my boat license with & he is going to do some bar crossings at Caloundra with me. I think its money well spent. I saw Eddie today & he is up for coming to!!!

Guest guest30038
Thanks for that mate. The boat is bigger than 4.8 but a life jacket on the way out would have been wise. I have contacted the bloke I did my boat license with & he is going to do some bar crossings at Caloundra with me. I think its money well spent. I saw Eddie today & he is up for coming to!!!

Good on yer both.............I've seen a couple of nasty spills in the GC seaway. I'm lucky in that I can get offshore round the top of Moreton without crossing a bar................must wet a line soon...........it's been way too long.

kev

Guest Working to fish
Good on yer both.............I've seen a couple of nasty spills in the GC seaway. I'm lucky in that I can get offshore round the top of Moreton without crossing a bar................must wet a line soon...........it's been way too long.

kev

If you ever fancy a trip up the coast let us know ,theres room on the boat ,Hope you like 3 to 4 metres swells:biglaugh:

eddie

If you ever fancy a trip up the coast let us know ,theres room on the boat ,Hope you like 3 to 4 metres swells:biglaugh:

eddie

Bugga that!!! We get a 2 metre swell and NO ONE goes out, except the damned trawlers. We have the Great Barrier Reef to stop the big ocean swells.

Cheers, Bobj.

Hi all,

Fished on Grt Ouse today and managed to foul hook a zander while feeder fishing. It went 11lb 8oz never seen one that big let alone caught one, because it was fouled and on light gear took about 20 minutes to land and during that time we had a thunder storm with rain so heavy you could hardy breath in it soak to the skin but happy.

Do any of you think that some of the methods we use in the UK could work in OZ i.e feeder fishing, long trotting waggler fishing?

Hi all,

Fished on Grt Ouse today and managed to foul hook a zander while feeder fishing. It went 11lb 8oz never seen one that big let alone caught one, because it was fouled and on light gear took about 20 minutes to land and during that time we had a thunder storm with rain so heavy you could hardy breath in it soak to the skin but happy.

Do any of you think that some of the methods we use in the UK could work in OZ i.e feeder fishing, long trotting waggler fishing?

G'day mate, Nice fish.

Been many, many years since I was in the UK and, in those days, have never heard of those methods.

Depends on the species you want to target as to how to catch them. If you are after crap or trout and tench, then the UK methods will suffice. If you want any of the natives, murray cod, yellowbelly, barramundi, or the saratoga, then casting lures is the go. Other odds and sods (catfish, silver perch) will most likely be caught ledgering.

Don't know if you are into sea fishing at all, but, with Australia being surrounded by the stuff, there are about 7 times as many sea fishos than sweet water enthusiasts. And the methods vary considerably.

Cheers, Bobj

Hi Bobj

Yes mate I go sea fishing but not for awhile now. Our coast is on the north sea and does not fish like it did when I was a boy. Over fishing. When we were out 2 winters ago cod fishing no cod not even any thornback rays! Skipper reckons they don't come in that close any more because the trawlers take everything now they even plough the seabed with a net following for the flatties. (we were in close because of bad wheather) I've heard they can now even net the oil rigs?

When you mentioned tench are they as the European variety if so what over species are there that we have here?

Cheers Lance

Yes, same old tench in SE Australia. And a few roach and squillions of redfin. Lotsa European fishos target the redfin and crap, but I don't know of any one targeting the tench or roach.

Well, you should enjoy your fishing in Australian waters.

Cheers, Bobj.

Thanks for all the info mate. Just waiting for that visa! I'm quite happy fishing for any thing really just that most of my gear is for freshwater but I do have rods/reels that will cope with whats in your photo.(what is it by the way?)

On our last day in QLDS we chartered a boat out of Cairns. I lost something very big on a flapper. Skipper said it was a Tarpon as it tail walked a couple of times but I thought it looked like a Spanish Mackeral. Had it on long enough to feel the power though its quite a buzz, gutted when the hook pulled all my fault.

We spent a night in Mackay when we drove from Cairns to Beerwah .

Cheers Lance

Thanks for all the info mate. Just waiting for that visa! I'm quite happy fishing for any thing really just that most of my gear is for freshwater but I do have rods/reels that will cope with whats in your photo.(what is it by the way?)

On our last day in QLDS we chartered a boat out of Cairns. I lost something very big on a flapper. Skipper said it was a Tarpon as it tail walked a couple of times but I thought it looked like a Spanish Mackeral. Had it on long enough to feel the power though its quite a buzz, gutted when the hook pulled all my fault.

We spent a night in Mackay when we drove from Cairns to Beerwah .

Cheers Lance

It's a barramundi, mate, caught in the local dam in Mackay.(56lbs):hug:

Lots of tarpon in the northern area. They only grow to about 10 lbs, not like the atlantic tarpon. Spanish mackerel very rarely tail walk, if ever; they just head off at a great rate of knots, but tarpon are noted for their aerial antics

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Guest9973

WooooHooo!!!!

Had a great time this morning.

Went out on the boat with a very experienced Aussie fishing buddy of mine.

We set off south in fairly lumpy conditions to do a bit of trolling for Salmon around Port Noarlunga.

I honestly would not have gone out in that stuff on my own but I do need to build up my boating skills.

No Salmon down there, seas turning pretty rough so we decided to bomb up to Hallett Cove in search of Whiting.

Trev, another Aussie fishing buddy was out in his boat so he took some pics of me putting Jean Genie through her paces.

Had her completely out of the water at times and a couple of submarine nose dives into some big waves.

The pics don't really show how rough it was but great fun!

Zero fish caught - maximum fun had!

Fantastic to get out with some guys who are prepared to help and teach!

Russellsboat004.jpg

Russellsboat005.jpg

Guest Working to fish

[ATTACH]1216[/ATTACH]

This is a photo from last weekend ,The sea dont look to bad ,but this was the taken at the start of the bar ,if you look at the photo you can see a wave that has started to barrel in the photo. Like i say the photo makes it look ,(not to bad) Look haft way down the wave and you can see how big it was .

eddie

Guest cazbeckham

Just read about your Sunday escapades with Pete and Sean - We were sitting here pissing ourselves with laughter but I know shouldn't larf as we should be picking our boat up on Monday afternoon and will prob try it out in the passage on Tuesday - now where did I put my life jacket.............

Guest Working to fish
No coastal bars up here, nice and easy from the boat ramp.

As itcouldbeworse mentioned, check out Bill Corten and his bar-crossing link.

Cheers, Bobj.

Thanks for that Bob ,will be looking into the bar,crossing .

Looks like a great day sunday to be out in the boat.

eddie .

Guest cazbeckham

wish we had a boat to go out on, on Sunday :-(

Still should be picking it up on Monday afternoon and cos I asked them nicely, well didn;'t give them much of a chance really with what I said but they are putting GPS on it for free whooo hoooo

My Policy is:- If you don't ask you don't get hehehehe

Guest Working to fish
wish we had a boat to go out on, on Sunday :-(

Still should be picking it up on Monday afternoon and cos I asked them nicely, well didn;'t give them much of a chance really with what I said but they are putting GPS on it for free whooo hoooo

My Policy is:- If you don't ask you don't get hehehehe

Good on you ,after all the let downs (which you dont expect when spending money as a customer ,after all its not every day you buy a boat)

Yet another toy (gps) to get your head around lol.

eddie

Guest Working to fish

[ATTACH]1218[/ATTACH]

Just about to jump back on the boat after a bit of beech fishing ,i find its good now and then to pull up on the beech and cast a line .

Beech fishing is fun.

eddie:wink:

Guest Pete and Lou
[ATTACH]1218[/ATTACH]

Just about to jump back on the boat after a bit of beech fishing ,i find its good now and then to pull up on the beech and cast a line .

Beech fishing is fun.

eddie:wink:

Ooooohhhhh lucky you Eddie, beach fishing! Are you a closet beach fisherman? Wish I could go beach fishing! I had to go out in my boat yesterday, but we caught a couple of nice fish all helped by the burley, thanks to Will. Why am I telling you this, you were with us?!!!!! :biglaugh:

Had a lovely fish dinner tonight!

Was talking to a mate yesterday and he told me that a couple of blokes had a brilliant day at Teemburra dam; they caught 68 barra 2 weeks ago, only small barra, about 5 lbs. Now, Teemburra is only 2 hours' drive up the valley from me...Gotta get my barra fix, but it's a matter of the damned winds...

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Working to fish

Any idears would be good.

4 stroke over the 2 stroke ,or 2 stroke over the 4 stroke.

So want a 4 stroke.

Been told no way:cry:.

eddie:idea:

Guest cazbeckham

Hi

Well we took the boat out for the first time today up the Pumistone Passage, bit hairy at times when the depth was just over a foot deep.

But we managed with no mishaps, moored up a couple of times just to get used to anchoring and also to have lunch.

We didnt take the rods this time as it was first ever time with a boat but I want to take rods next time and do some fishing.

Barry can do the filleting stuff after if he wants...........

We have a 115hp 4 stroke engine and it is sooooo quiet. When the guy took us out for a test run in a boat similar to our one they had a 2 stroke engine and it was noisy and very smelly, enough to make you feel nauseas.

So why was you told no way with the 4 stroke - was that from Tina..........

So we have to now arrange when to go out with you Eddie and Peter and familes over to Bribie for a BBQ and a couple of beers eh?

Guest Working to fish
Hi

Well we took the boat out for the first time today up the Pumistone Passage, bit hairy at times when the depth was just over a foot deep.:jimlad:

But we managed with no mishaps, moored up a couple of times just to get used to anchoring and also to have lunch.

We didnt take the rods this time as it was first ever time with a boat but I want to take rods next time and do some fishing.

Barry can do the filleting stuff after if he wants...........

We have a 115hp 4 stroke engine and it is sooooo quiet. When the guy took us out for a test run in a boat similar to our one they had a 2 stroke engine and it was noisy and very smelly, enough to make you feel nauseas.

So why was you told no way with the 4 stroke - was that from Tina..........:cry:yes

So we have to now arrange when to go out with you Eddie and Peter and familes over to Bribie for a BBQ and a couple of beers eh? sounds good ,we are up for it ,will find out from pete and family ,when is good for them ,will have to set a date ,when you thinking ?.

Ps

weres the photos.

Bet your well made up.

eddie

Guest cazbeckham

Eddie

We are free this Sunday, but maybe we need a couple more times out or maybe not hahahah

other dates we are free are:-

1/2 Aug - 8/9 Aug - 15th Aug - 29/30 Aug - in fact Sat 29th August is Barry's 60th so we could go out then and take some party balloons etc to put up on the beach but don;t tell Barry as he hates parties hahahaha

Archived