Woods interviews

lynne1266

Guest bol74

Ste, Woods wages are better than what you and Phil are getting paid in uk. So can't be any worse off over there.

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest markandmichelle
Hi, Steve and Family

We have been here approx 3 years on a 457 visa with Woods and I would truthfully say that us (without any children) would really struggle to have a good life on one wage. Our original plan was for me to only work part time but that is not possible if you want to enjoy a good quality of life. Woods wages are not the best in the accident repair world to say the least and the cost of living here has risen greatly over the last 12 months. I can,t help with any advice on the kids front i,m afraid but do know of others that find it a big struggle having to find money for fee,s, books etc . I think others that have not been lucky enough for both parties to find work have had to rely on their savings quite a bit.

If you have any questions we can help with , don,t hesitate to ask. I think its better to come expecting reality than to have a shock when you get here !!

Take Care and good luck

Jane

Hi Jane

So sorry to hear that you have found it hard over here money wise.

I was not trying to lead anyone into not expecting anything but reality. i have just said how we find it here, our bills seem alot cheaper than the uk. (but we do rent) so we donot have council tax and a t.v licence to pay for only pay for the water you use here, in the uk we paid anglia water and essex and suffolk water, our food bills seem to be the same (if you convert it back to £) we donot have children but we know people who do and yes it does cost more as you need to pay for the uniforms, books and sometime a fee, but there are people out here that do it.

Maybe our way that we enjoy things are we are quite happy to head out to the beach or go for a walk this is the sort of lifestyle you donot get to have in the uk as much if ever... and the price of fuel back in the uk is heading for £2.00 a litres.

There is like anything things to look at and alot of checking things out, like yourself i can only say how i have found it. Back in the uk we both worked full time to keep a house and to keep both cars, leaving us with little time to spend together, the only time we would see each other was when we went aboard two times a year, Yes we have not been on holiday since we have got here but then again sooooo many wonderfull places to go to around where we live, like going to do the great ocean drive, animal parks and all the other parks.

I am only looking for a part time job,

hope you enjoying your job you are doing?

All the best with everything

Michelle

Guest janey380
Hi Jane

So sorry to hear that you have found it hard over here money wise.

I was not trying to lead anyone into not expecting anything but reality. i have just said how we find it here, our bills seem alot cheaper than the uk. (but we do rent) so we donot have council tax and a t.v licence to pay for only pay for the water you use here, in the uk we paid anglia water and essex and suffolk water, our food bills seem to be the same (if you convert it back to £) we donot have children but we know people who do and yes it does cost more as you need to pay for the uniforms, books and sometime a fee, but there are people out here that do it.

Maybe our way that we enjoy things are we are quite happy to head out to the beach or go for a walk this is the sort of lifestyle you donot get to have in the uk as much if ever... and the price of fuel back in the uk is heading for £2.00 a litres.

There is like anything things to look at and alot of checking things out, like yourself i can only say how i have found it. Back in the uk we both worked full time to keep a house and to keep both cars, leaving us with little time to spend together, the only time we would see each other was when we went aboard two times a year, Yes we have not been on holiday since we have got here but then again sooooo many wonderfull places to go to around where we live, like going to do the great ocean drive, animal parks and all the other parks.

I am only looking for a part time job,

hope you enjoying your job you are doing?

All the best with everything

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for your reply, it is really good to hear about other peoples lives on here, hope the information we give helps others with their big move to Oz !

Going back to my original post where I mentioned life being a struggle I did say that it would be a struggle if we didn' t both work full time, but as we do, we in fact enjoy a really good life here as we did in the UK. We love going out and socializing which we do alot of here and have enjoyed numerous holidays in other parts of Oz and New Zealand. We would hate not to be able to enjoy the same (and even better) things in life that we enjoyed in the UK and with us both working we are able to do this. We are really lucky here to live in walking distance to the beach as we did in the UK and feel you can,t beat a nice glass of wine sat outside a pub (which of course with the weather this summer we have not been able to do as much as we would have liked !!! ) Roll on next Summer I say !!!!

I have been really lucky to have got a brilliant job which I love in the city working for the City of Melbourne Council and my salary has meant that we can enjoy the better life as well as taking care of the cost of living (which I,m afraid we won,t agree on the cheapness of ! but never mind, we can probably see the rise more because of the length of time we have been here).

We probably spend as much time together as we did in the UK ,but will say, its probably more quality time as we spend much more of it being just the 2 of us than in the UK when we had so many family and friends around us.

All the best Michelle

Cheers

Jane

Guest markandmichelle
Hi Everyone

Our house is full of overwelming excitement at the moment.Just checked my emails and our visas have been granted OMG!!!!!!!

Melbourne here we come.Our adventure is about to begin at last.

Antonia & Patrick

Big Congrats Antonia and Patrick...... on your visa no better feeling than seeing that e.mail:jiggy:now comes the fun part...:chatterbox: sorting out and that......lol

Bet you are still on cloud nine?

hope you have a wonderfull weekend and see you soon........

All the best Michelle and Mark

Guest sharon and gaz

Congratulations Antonia and Patrick.You will be there before you know it.

We get there in 12 weeks and it doesnt feel like a year ago Tony interviewed me so the best of luck to your family for your new life.

Gaz:hug:

Guest markandmichelle

All the best to all you guys who have your visas and good luck to all your guys who are waiting on them, will not be long now....

All the best Michelle and Mark

Guest murph33
Well folks, shipping is sent, house in berwick organised, flight's fully paid for, touch down in Melbourne on 1st of March, can't bloody wait, Melbourne here we come. LOL:biggrin:

what do you think of Berwick, we are also looking at that area to move to. Hoping if all goes to plan to be there by end of June, OH will be working in Carrun Down so trying to decide where would be a good place nearbt to set up with kids, schools etc.

Guest Irmaal

Hi everyone,

Just recently we got the message from Crystal that my OH is appointed to Glen Iris branch. Researching the area we found that Glen Iris is a very nice suburb which comunicates with the City very well and there is plenty of good rentals in a $300-$400 range.

Does anyone else are also appointed to Glen Iris or perhaps already living here? It would be nice to hear couple words about this area...:v_SPIN:

Hi everyone,

Just recently we got the message from Crystal that my OH is appointed to Glen Iris branch. Researching the area we found that Glen Iris is a very nice suburb which comunicates with the City very well and there is plenty of good rentals in a $300-$400 range.

Does anyone else are also appointed to Glen Iris or perhaps already living here? It would be nice to hear couple words about this area...:v_SPIN:

Hi Irmaal, The O/H was originally meant to be sent to the Brighton branch but that was changed to Glen Iris at the last minute, he's been there over 2 weeks now and say's it's a really nice bunch of people he's working there and it's a really busy shop so the day's just fly in. We settled in Berwick and find it a lovely area to live in The O/H has a 30- 45 min commute to work.

Hope this Helps

:smile:

Guest bol74

Hi Prendergast Family

Well you have been in melbourne now about a month how are you finding it? Can't remember whether you were painter or panel beater, my OH is wondered what the hours are like on the jobs. Are you liking Berwick and have you got the kids settled into school.

Sarah & Phil

Hi Prendergast Family

Well you have been in melbourne now about a month how are you finding it? Can't remember whether you were painter or panel beater, my OH is wondered what the hours are like on the jobs. Are you liking Berwick and have you got the kids settled into school.

Sarah & Phil

Hi Sarah and Phil

Like all big move's it was very stressful at the start but once we got house, cars, furniture and kid's school sorted out we really started to relax, have to say we are loving every, minute of it, We got a beautiful 4 bedroom house in Berwick on the border of Narre Warren and the kid's have really settled in school, we got them into Fleetwood primary school it's not a very big school but we like that fact, and it really is an excellent school. Noel is a painter by trade and he says he is kept busy all the time, he says he's loving the normality of having a job again.

When are you hoping to make the big move yourselves, and where are you hoping to settle?

Becky & Noel

Guest bol74
Hi Sarah and Phil

Like all big move's it was very stressful at the start but once we got house, cars, furniture and kid's school sorted out we really started to relax, have to say we are loving every, minute of it, We got a beautiful 4 bedroom house in Berwick on the border of Narre Warren and the kid's have really settled in school, we got them into Fleetwood primary school it's not a very big school but we like that fact, and it really is an excellent school. Noel is a painter by trade and he says he is kept busy all the time, he says he's loving the normality of having a job again.

When are you hoping to make the big move yourselves, and where are you hoping to settle?

Becky & Noel

Phil is painter also, do they have times on job's like they do in the uk and are the times as tight?

Well we were hoping to make the move in July, but we are still waiting for them to lodge our application. They have had our paperwork for a good month now, they have said they will get it lodge tomorrow they have just been busy. We are looking at Berwick, I have been searching on realestate at houses and you seem to get better house for you money in Berwick. We would be wanting a 4 bedroom ideally with a rumpus room, plus phil wants double garage. Have you needed to buy much house stuff or have you shipped alot of you items from uk.

Sarah & Phil

Guest markandmichelle
Our visa has finally been lodged, yippee at last.

Congrats on visa being lodged trust us will not be long before the e.mail is there saying you have your 547 visa...:biggrin: just try to stay chilled!!! (easy said then done....) as when you are the one waiting it seems to take forever........ but when you look back it doesnot......:jiggy:

Guest sharon and gaz

Hi everyone,

hope you are all well its been a stressful week all our belongings left this week shippers were here for 2 full days packing. Only slip up was they packed my work jacket with my work mobile phone!! so its on its way to melbourne! The house looks so bare, so we are definitely on the countdown ......10 weeks on sun for gaz and I'll follow 3 days later with the kids. I know traveling separately but just think I won't have garry in duty free with me moaning about spending!!

sharon x :wink:

Guest markandmichelle
Hi everyone,

hope you are all well its been a stressful week all our belongings left this week shippers were here for 2 full days packing. Only slip up was they packed my work jacket with my work mobile phone!! so its on its way to melbourne! The house looks so bare, so we are definitely on the countdown ......10 weeks on sun for gaz and I'll follow 3 days later with the kids. I know traveling separately but just think I won't have garry in duty free with me moaning about spending!!

sharon x :wink:

Hi Sharon

Thats one of the most stressful parts done, its so strange seeing all your stuff being loaded up and thinking next time you see it it will be the other side of the world!!!!!:jiggy:

I wonder how many missed calls and messages you will have on your work phone??

10 weeks will soon fly by, before you know it the time will be around,

How are the children? looking forward to a new adventure?

Has Gaz found out which shop he is going to?

(I think all men moan about spending money.....lol bless them:biggrin:)

Well hope you are not so stressed out now?

Take care and have a good rest of your week, (p.s if it makes you feel better we have got rain this afternoon......)

All the best Michelle.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sharon and gaz
Hi Sharon

Hi Michelle,

well the weather is great here at the moment, but I can't sleep!! the stress is really building. I don't know how everyone else felt but I just want to go asap and having another 8 weeks to go seems ages when you just want to be at your destination. I'm glad I won't be starting work till aug I think I'll need it too. Will have to organise schools, after school care( freaking out at what the costs might be) and everything else and not a having a bed to sleep on when we arrive oh and a washing machine fridgefreezer......etc ....etc. The upside to this is our stuff is being loaded at dartford and is predicted to be there in 10weeks, so I suppose we'll have our belongings quite soon after we arrive... fingers crossed! But will still need to buy a couple of beds on arrival am thinking about gumtree what do you think? What did the package consist of on your arrivals have still to hear from christine at ATC.

THANKS

sharon x

:eek:

Guest markandmichelle
Hi Sharon

Hi Michelle,

well the weather is great here at the moment, but I can't sleep!! the stress is really building. I don't know how everyone else felt but I just want to go asap and having another 8 weeks to go seems ages when you just want to be at your destination. I'm glad I won't be starting work till aug I think I'll need it too. Will have to organise schools, after school care( freaking out at what the costs might be) and everything else and not a having a bed to sleep on when we arrive oh and a washing machine fridgefreezer......etc ....etc. The upside to this is our stuff is being loaded at dartford and is predicted to be there in 10weeks, so I suppose we'll have our belongings quite soon after we arrive... fingers crossed! But will still need to buy a couple of beds on arrival am thinking about gumtree what do you think? What did the package consist of on your arrivals have still to hear from christine at ATC.

THANKS

sharon x

:eek:

Good afternoon Sharon:biggrin:

keep hearing the weather is good over there at the moment, we have got some rain today but still warm, and the weather is looking good for Easter this weekend:cool:

I understand what you are saying about it getting stressfull, and you just want things to be sorted (and to be able to have a good sleep...) and that you just want to sceam!!!!!!!!!! and all you really want to do now you have made the decision is to start you new adventure, How are the children? I can only really say about us as we donot have children, but know people who do and not long been out here, 8 and 6 years old and they said for the uniforms for the two of them was something like $500 (i know if they are older and some schools you have to buy more uniforms and also the books.)

As for the beds Woods can sort out blow up mattresses, (thats what we did) and you just pay Crystal (or who ever picks you up from the airport) Lots of places to buy washing machines and that (we brought ours from good guys and was $400.00 with a years worth of free washing powder), and if you pay cash you can knock them down on the price...Do you know which shop its going to be yet? and do you know which area you are looking at? I have not used gumtree,

Woods loan you a fridge, same as a table and chair (to eat your meals off) they loan these out for 6 weeks to you, and cost nothing. in our pack from Woods we have dinner set ( dinner plates, side plates, bowls), glasses, cutlery set, large pan, large fry pan, mugs,(bedding, (quit, cover and sheets) pillows, mattresses topper, tea towels, alarm clock, towels set. kettle and toaster, i think that was everything....

Christine will be in contact, (i know it feels like its all going so slow but when you look back on it it not really) Christine is a nice lady, we had Chris find us the house we are in, he is really good, and will do his best to get you what you want in a house.

8 weeks will soon fly by (trust me we booked our tickets 10 weeks before we came and looking back the weeks just seem like a blurr now....lol)

some web.sites for you to have a look at http://www.thegoodguys.com.au http://www.fantasticfurniture.com.au http://www.superamart.com.au http://www.jbhifi.com.au hope these are of some use to you....

If there is anything i can help with me contact me and will do my best to help you.

All the best and just keep thinking how good that glass of wine will on your 1st night here:wub: so try and stay sane.....

All the best Michelle,xxx

Guest the woodcocks

hi sharon and gaz

we no how you are feeling right now we are still waiting for our visas to come through we are up every morning looking for that email (it has only been four weeks thurs since lodged) but it seems to be taking forever we have sold our house and both of our bussiness and we just want to get on with it now

how exciting for you though just think you no you are gong in 8 weeks ours could be longer

where are you hoping to live again?

you have prob been looking on the real estate like us there is quite a lot on there but seems to go fast any way hope the next 8 weeks fly past for you

take care

sarah and neal

Guest sharon and gaz

Hi everyone

We are looking to move to Berwick and we still dont know which branch i will be based at .Thanks for all your invaluable advice Michelle and good luck Sarah and Neal.

Gaz:notworthy:

Guest markandmichelle
Hi everyone

We are looking to move to Berwick and we still dont know which branch i will be based at .Thanks for all your invaluable advice Michelle and good luck Sarah and Neal.

Gaz:notworthy:

Hi Gaz and Sharon

Not a problem, Woods let you know about 4 weeks before you fly here to which shop you will be at. same for Christine (or Chris)at ATC for finding you a house.

Hope you all have a wonderfull Easter and enjoy the break.:cool:

Michelle

Guest bondy3182

I came over to work for Woods in the Oct 2007 with my wife,I had already gained permanent residency prior to migrating and therefore did not qualify for the Woods package, however they allowed us the relocation allowance and the 1st years medical cover.

I was employed at the Moorabbin branch approx 45mins to get there and 1hour 15 mins to get home which like most other Brits coming to melbourne happened to be in Berwick. there are nearer branches such as Hallam however when I requested a transfer I was told that workers for hallam were easy to come by and that workers in the City were more of a reqiurement.I stuck with Woods even though I had PRs on the belief that the In House Career Development would lead to rewards. I worked my bloody socks off for a year and a half with the false promise of promotion to leading hand , forman , assistant manager and manager, it was only after 2years of false promises that Woods became a ware of the fact that i had been offered a position as an assessessr with the RACV, that I was Approached by the Managing Director Eugene with an offer of taking on a position in charge of the Cheltenham Branch, It was confirmed that every amount of support and training would be offered to assist me in getting to grips with this new role , however this also proved to be nothing more than brovado on the part of my peers, after 12 months of 14 hour days including weekends with the minimum of training and support and after excee

ding the annual target with an end of year bonus of over $6000.00, it was clear that no matter how hard you try for this company you will always be deemed nothing more than a commodity. I took a backward position back at Moorabbin as an assistant manager allowing my area manager the luxury of believing he had my balls in the palm of his hand.there I stayed until the right offer came along, when it did I attempted to do the honourable thing and offer my 3 weeks notice as early as I could,with an offer to stay on for an other two weeks whilst the manager was on holiday. this was met with condernation and an offer of accepting a request to finish on the Christmas Eve. sacrificing any public holidays that I may have been entitalled too, along with any bonuses allocated to me. It was still the best descision I have made since arriving in this country, anyone pondering the post of Woods employees here on the 457 slave visa would be well advised to take note of the negative feedback offerered .(No smoke without Fire)

Archived