Woods interviews

lynne1266

I came over to work for Woods in the Oct 2007 with my wife,I had already gained permanent residency prior to migrating and therefore did not qualify for the Woods package, however they allowed us the relocation allowance and the 1st years medical cover.

I was employed at the Moorabbin branch approx 45mins to get there and 1hour 15 mins to get home which like most other Brits coming to melbourne happened to be in Berwick. there are nearer branches such as Hallam however when I requested a transfer I was told that workers for hallam were easy to come by and that workers in the City were more of a reqiurement.I stuck with Woods even though I had PRs on the belief that the In House Career Development would lead to rewards. I worked my bloody socks off for a year and a half with the false promise of promotion to leading hand , forman , assistant manager and manager, it was only after 2years of false promises that Woods became a ware of the fact that i had been offered a position as an assessessr with the RACV, that I was Approached by the Managing Director Eugene with an offer of taking on a position in charge of the Cheltenham Branch, It was confirmed that every amount of support and training would be offered to assist me in getting to grips with this new role , however this also proved to be nothing more than brovado on the part of my peers, after 12 months of 14 hour days including weekends with the minimum of training and support and after excee

ding the annual target with an end of year bonus of over $6000.00, it was clear that no matter how hard you try for this company you will always be deemed nothing more than a commodity. I took a backward position back at Moorabbin as an assistant manager allowing my area manager the luxury of believing he had my balls in the palm of his hand.there I stayed until the right offer came along, when it did I attempted to do the honourable thing and offer my 3 weeks notice as early as I could,with an offer to stay on for an other two weeks whilst the manager was on holiday. this was met with condernation and an offer of accepting a request to finish on the Christmas Eve. sacrificing any public holidays that I may have been entitalled too, along with any bonuses allocated to me. It was still the best descision I have made since arriving in this country, anyone pondering the post of Woods employees here on the 457 slave visa would be well advised to take note of the negative feedback offerered .(No smoke without Fire)

Hi,

Thanks for your advise. Can I ask how long did you stay with Woods in all and how has everything been since you left ?

I started this thread nearly 2 yrs ago now as we had been offered a job with Woods, we haven't started the process yet for personal reasons.

Lynne

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest markandmichelle
Just been granted my 457 visa. Cant wait to get out there now!!!!! :biggrin:

Big Congrats the time will just fly by trust me.

Enjoy it all, and good luck with the goodbyes.

All the best Michelle

Guest Irmaal

Congratulations woodcocks!

My huby is working with Woods already two weeks at Glen Iris branch and he is very happy about his job. The team is great, working conditions are just perfect, the only thing at the moment is that there is very much job to do so he must work overtime a little bit, but as long as he finds it well it is well for me too.

But the weather is bad. It's raining most of the time and at nights it's very cold-you must be sure that the heating is turned on at all times. I never thought that there could be SO cold. And without any double glazed windows it's a real problem out there.

Guest markandmichelle
sooo happy we have just been granted our visas we are on our way

Big congrats Sarah and Neal and family,

Weather has really changed here this year, keep saying its the coldest it been for 11 years in may so far......:frown: Well good luck with all the sorting out now,

All the best Michelle and Mark.

Look forward to meeting up again.

Guest sharon and gaz

Hello again everybody,hope you are all well.Thats me just been allocated the Box Hill branch and we've only got just under five weeks to go.All the best......Gaz.

Guest markandmichelle
Hello again everybody,hope you are all well.Thats me just been allocated the Box Hill branch and we've only got just under five weeks to go.All the best......Gaz.

Hello Sharon and Gaz.

The next 5 weeks will just fly by now:goofy: you will look back and think where did them 5 weeks go!!!!!!!lol.

good luck with all the packing and sorting out, (and can you bring the sun back when you come...lol)

All the best Michelle and Mark:biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest markandmichelle
Can I ask the Panel Beaters a question about your 457 visa application....did you have to do a skills test at all ??

Hi Lynne

Mark didnot have to do a skills test but like little kelly said he had his city and guilds, hows everything going?

Best wishes Michelle

Guest Irmaal

Skills tests are not undertaken, but in order to qualify for 457 visa you must have the document that shows your qualifications. That could be a national vocational certificate or a diploma. If you don't have any, just get enroled in any of the short courses that upon completion ofers a certificate-that is enough.

My husband also didn't have a certificate despite the fact that he worked as a Spray Painter all his life. So he just enroled in the 6 month duration course and have got a NVC upon completion-DIAC was satisfied with this document.

He is now working in Glen Iris branch , almost a month already and he likes it a lot. A shop is great, very well equiped, the work itself is the same as he did it at home-nothing new at this point, even PPG paint has almost the same characteristics; the only thing that is strange that they do not use fast thiners in the paint, even with a dark colours. Only medium and slow, which slows a little bit the painting process. But that's how they do it..... As a Spray Painter he must prime, then sand the primer, mask, mix colour and paint. :cute:

Hi Lynne

We have just secured an interview with them in October, so fingers crossed as we have been thinking about this for too many years now!

Are you going through the agency Australia Trade Connections [atc@bigpond.net.au]?

Hi Lynne

We have just secured an interview with them in October, so fingers crossed as we have been thinking about this for too many years now!

Are you going through the agency Australia Trade Connections [atc@bigpond.net.au]?

Congratulations on the job offer !!

Woods only deal with ATC. My husband was offered a job a year and a half ago but for various reason we haven't yet moved.

Lynne

Guest sharon and gaz

Hello again everyone.Well,that's us got just ten days to go before the big move.Cant say we are too excited yet as we still haven't found somewhere to live yet.Just wish we could as it prays on your mind a bit.Has anyone had this dilemma before?:eek:

Guest the woodcocks
Hello again everyone.Well,that's us got just ten days to go before the big move.Cant say we are too excited yet as we still haven't found somewhere to live yet.Just wish we could as it prays on your mind a bit.Has anyone had this dilemma before?:eek:

Hi Sharon & Gaz

We are in the same boat!

Due to fly out on 27th and no home yet either!!

Looks like a big tent! lol

Has Gaz been given a branch yet? and what areas have you been looking at?

Guest sharon and gaz
Hi Sharon & Gaz

We are in the same boat!

Due to fly out on 27th and no home yet either!!

Looks like a big tent! lol

Has Gaz been given a branch yet? and what areas have you been looking at?

Hi We are looking at Berwick,Beaconsfield and Officer but no joy so far.Put in four applications and no joy!We are not too optimistic of getting a place for our arrival,i think the market is too competitive in these areas and i get the feeling the estate agents just wont entertain a Brit application.Garry has got the Box Hill branch.Good luck.:arghh:

Guest markandmichelle

Hi Sharon and Gaz

I know what you are saying we was in the dilemma a year ago, Chris had our place sign and sorted the day before we was due to fly, :arghh: it just like you are not just moving to the other side of the road.... but Chris and the team there are very good at what they do, i know when it is you on the other side of the world and you just want everything all sorted, a friend of mine was in Hong Kong and they didnot know where they was going to be living...... i know it is easy for anyone to say donot worry,

How are the goodbyes going? Have you found out where Gaz is going to be working?

Have to sort out a meet up (if you fancy it?)

Take care and try to stay calm......

Michelle, (ps can you bring the sun back with you...lol)

Guest markandmichelle

Hi Woodcock and Sharon and Gaz

Its got nothing to do with being brit, its the fact alot of people are moving about and there is about 15 to 20 people going to look at 1 place and the thing is the landlord can pick and choice who every they like, Chris and the team his way will be doing all they can to sort it out and to have you what you want from a house, we have all been there and it is hard and you just feel like it should all be sorted and canot understand why it is not......i think everyone i know who has come out here has been in the same place, (apart for one family) we had to stay the night in a hotel our 1st night here. but that was only because the place was not ready. so stay strong (and yes i know easy said than done.....)

Good luck all. Michelle :0)

Guest Irmaal

Don't worry guys, Chris will sort out accomodation the day or two before arrival-they usualy do not put applications very much in advance. We got ours three days before our flight. Chris just lodged a few applications, we had been approved for three appartments and chose one of them. No worries, you will sure get one-that's why Chris is here :cute:

Guest sharon and gaz

Thanks to everyone for the wee pep talk,feel a bit better now.Michelle,we would love to meet up with you and will make a point of it once we are settled.Can't promise i'll bring the sun but it has been nice here recently,nevermind i'm sure the Melbourne scorchers will soon return.Take care everybody xxxx. Sharon and Gaz

Archived