How long did it take to sell your house?

Guest Angelcake

Guest Angelcake

Just wondering?

Did you put it on the market before you got your visa or wait till it had come through?

Thanks

Angelcake

Guest col&dee

Hi Angelcake,

We are waiting until the visa comes through before we put the house on the market-don't want to tempt fate just incase we get rejected (oh, jings, what a thought)! We love our house and would not be selling it if we were not going to Oz. Also, our visa should be through in a few weeks and we have until beginning of March 08 until we have to activate it (though we do plan on going well before this).

Different things suit different people though and I'm sure you'll soon work out what's best for you.

Good Luck

Dee

Guest Ian&Lou

Same here. Really like our house and there is no way I'm gonna sell if we dont get the visa. (better get it or I'll cry for months!!!).

If we sold we would struglle to get another house the same...too much of a risk for me personally.

Lou

We emmigrated 18 months ago and faced the same issue. We put our house on the market and applied for the visa at the same time and by amazing luck we exchanged and got the visas on the same day!

We would never have exchanged without the visas though but it depends on you circumstances and approach to risks.

Guest koala12

Hi Angelcake,

I emigrated to Sydney 7 months ago and waited until I got my visa before putting house on market as I knew I would have 12 months to enter Oz once it was granted and like others have said didn't want to tempt fate! It's hard to know what to do as it's all a gamble/juggling game trying to get everything organised and tie up but once we put the house on the market we saw how it was going and then booked our tickets and hoped for the best - fortunately we settled on the Friday and flew out on following Monday so moved in with my parents for the weekend. We were lucky in that the couple buying our house were not in a hurry to get us out so sometimes things work out well although it's always a headache planning the logistics.

Good luck!

We tried to work out when we would get the visa and put it on the market the month before (which worked out ok), we sold in 4 weeks, but the buyer wasn't in a rush to move in, so we came to an arrangement and stayed in it for a few months.

Ali

we took about 3 months to sell and are under offer since the 4th of april, i wanted to sell before visa arrived if we had we would be in oz now as visa came in december, but women dont listen they just panic ' what if we sell up and dont get a visa' doh we buy another house dear its soo difficult not.

Guest bshootz

Hi , we have just put our house on the market,but haven't sent off our visa application yet, we intend to rent in the meantime,if the unthinkable happens and we don't get our visa's:wacko::cry: then we are thinking about leaving the area .

Just think its one less hassle and stress to deal with.

Beckyx:jiggy:

Guest Rachel&Stu

We are also selling before getting visas:chatterbox:

Part of the reason we're selling before June this year is to avoid having to fork out £500 for this new Homebuyer's Pack that sellers have to put together. Yeah just another hair-brained idea from our Government.....

We'll be in rented for about a year. And if it all goes t*ts up, then we'll buy another house, but probably different area like Becky. Not saying there's something wrong with Boston......much.

Rachel:wubclub:

Ours is going on the market very soon (end of the week hopefully) and we don't have a visa yet.

We don't love our house and we won't be sad to sell. If terrible things happen and we don't get a visa we're moving any way. I quite fancy Cornwall - mmmm, very different to Melbourne me thinks.

:wubclub:

Guest lolly
Ours is going on the market very soon (end of the week hopefully) and we don't have a visa yet.

We don't love our house and we won't be sad to sell. If terrible things happen and we don't get a visa we're moving any way. I quite fancy Cornwall - mmmm, very different to Melbourne me thinks.

:wubclub:

We're thinking that too Felicity....Cornwall if we dont make it to OZ. Bit different to Brissie but dont want to spend our whole lives living here. :no:

Lauren

Guest Dunteaching

Glad to see that we are not the only ones who have put our house on the market before getting our visa. I have also handed in my notice and we have booked our flights for July 5th. Gulp. When we applied for the visa at the end of January we thought we would be ok as the Spouse visas seemed to be coming through fairly quickly, guess we are stuffed if it doesn't arrive!

Louise

Archived