Guest proud2beaussie

NOT THE KINGSWOOD !!! You'll have to gladwrap the numberplate !!

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bobj, I am sure you could have sold Qld to the world, you do a great job on this forum ! As always though, there seemed to be a lack of mature age finalists.

A bugga, innit??:wink:

Many thanks for the kind comments. Having seen most of Australia, it's not too difficult to choose Qld.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest proud2beaussie

This is an excellent article.

Tie his kangaroo down. He's off to the beach - Times Online

From The Times

May 9, 2009

Tie his kangaroo down. He's off to the beach

It's mind-blowing that landing a job as a caretaker in Australia should be considered the summit of Man's expectations

Giles Coren

A man from Petersfield in Hampshire has, according to all the papers, just landed the “best job in the world”. So, then, what do you suppose it is? Has Ben Southall been made director of the Sydney Opera? Has he been selected for the England cricket team? Has he been put in charge of a major company, newspaper or television station? Is he (please God) starting on Monday as our new Prime Minister? Will he be driving a steam train? Going to the Moon? Has he been drafted in to replace a sick Ian McKellen as Estragon opposite Patrick Stewart's Vladimir in Waiting for Godot at the Theatre Royal?

No, come on, don't be silly. This is 2009. We must recalibrate our ideas of what constitutes a dream job. We must dumb down our expectations a little. He has got a presenting role on Top Gear, has he? Or has been made manager of Manchester United? No? What, then, surely he has not been put in charge of the thong laundry at the Playboy Mansion?

No, again. The job that Ben has landed, ahead of thousands of applicants to a very public recruitment drive from Tourism Queensland, is a job as a caretaker.

Yes, sure, it's a caretaker job on an island off the Great Barrier Reef, so the weather will be nice and there will be fish to eat. And the salary, at £75,000, is very respectable. But it's pretty mind-blowing to find the world's media heralding it as the best job in the world. No disrespect to caretakers, but their work is not usually considered especially rewarding.

And I particularly like this bit.

The sort of people who will covet Mr Southall's job are those people one occasionally meets who dream of emigrating to Australia. “For pity's sake, why?” you ask, agog. “For the lifestyle,” they reply. Ah yes, lifestyle. The great myth. The supreme Australian invention. “Lifestyle” basically means that you can get drunk outdoors wearing only your pants all year round. And eat nothing but char-broiled food for the rest of your life. People who dream of emigrating there don't care what job they do, only that after it finishes each day they can go straight to the beach - where their only hope of avoiding skin cancer is to be eaten by a shark

Sounds suspiciously like certain members of PIO ! :laugh:(Anyone seen eddie?)

I've noticed recently that returners/unhappy ex-pats in Oz keep slagging off the lifestyle there. (Not you Nigel, but that post prompted this thought).

eg. Barbies are boring - once you've been to 30 or 40 you can't be bothered to go to any more/they're not that interesting.

Barbies are a way of cooking your breakfast/lunch/dinner (a healthy way) - what's boring about eating meals? We love bar b que food.

eg. The sun is really bright(????????) and you have to wear sun cream all the time(??)

Yes it is a fact that the sun IS bright and can burn/cause cancer. There is a hole in the ozone layer over western Europe and if you're not using sun cream in the UK then more fool you.

eg. Once you've been to the beach a hundred times it's really boring. When you've seen one beach you've seen them all(???????)

I LOVE living near the sea and so do my family. The fact that you can benefit from good weather to go to the beach/sea for many weeks of the year and try new activities is in no way boring for us.

eg. Kids don't play outside as much as they thought.

Well my kids don't play outside for about 7 months of the year in England, so if they go out more than that it's a plus in my book.

I'm bored of hearing people being bored with the lifestyle there. I know that you don't do it ALL the time because of work and other commitments getting in the way, but why the flip did they go if they don't like those things - good weather, beaches and barbies???

Sue x

Guest Aldo
I've noticed recently that returners/unhappy ex-pats in Oz keep slagging off the lifestyle there. (Not you Nigel, but that post prompted this thought).

eg. Barbies are boring - once you've been to 30 or 40 you can't be bothered to go to any more/they're not that interesting.

Barbies are a way of cooking your breakfast/lunch/dinner (a healthy way) - what's boring about eating meals? We love bar b que food.

eg. The sun is really bright(????????) and you have to wear sun cream all the time(??)

Yes it is a fact that the sun IS bright and can burn/cause cancer. There is a hole in the ozone layer over western Europe and if you're not using sun cream in the UK then more fool you.

eg. Once you've been to the beach a hundred times it's really boring. When you've seen one beach you've seen them all(???????)

I LOVE living near the sea and so do my family. The fact that you can benefit from good weather to go to the beach/sea for many weeks of the year and try new activities is in no way boring for us.

eg. Kids don't play outside as much as they thought.

Well my kids don't play outside for about 7 months of the year in England, so if they go out more than that it's a plus in my book.

I'm bored of hearing people being bored with the lifestyle there. I know that you don't do it ALL the time because of work and other commitments getting in the way, but why the flip did they go if they don't like those things - good weather, beaches and barbies???

Sue x

WTF you on about woman?:wacko:

Guest proud2beaussie
Nice to meet you, now fnck off and troll somewhere else.

Sue,that language is hardly what I would expect from such a delicate lady as yourself !:wink:

Guest Aldo
Sue,that language is hardly what I would expect from such a delicate lady as yourself !:wink:

very cosey..

:wink:

Sorry to shock you, Nigel!

But the 'rehabilitated troll' reared his ugly mug!!

It might need to go on the naughty step again:cry:

Sue x

Guest Aldo
Sorry to shock you, Nigel!

But the 'rehabilitated troll' reared his ugly mug!!

It might need to go on the naughty step again:cry:

Sue x

brown nose..:biglaugh:

Guest proud2beaussie

Play nicely children or daddy might have to ask the Arm Chair Detective to return,and we know what happened last hime he was here don't we?

Archived