anyone in here emmigrating from rep of ireland???

Guest shirley v

Guest shirley v

hi everyone, i hav'nt been on this site for ages, nice to see so many replys to my thread i didnt think there were so many irish people doing the same as me, glad to see were not on our own.i took a break from everything to do with oz for a few weeks it was wrecking my head thinking about it all the time.either that or id have ended up an alcoholic!! so much negativity about ireland but all true,i feel exactly the same cant wait to get out of this place,but if i had realised how much heartache would come along with it i dont think i would have started it in the first place.:wacko:

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Caz

Fair enough with renting your house out here for a bit while you're in oz. But be careful. The European Central Bank sets our interest rates and they set the interest rates mostly by how well the two biggest economies in Europe are doing - Germany and France. Both of these countries (especially Germany) will storm out of this recession much quicker than Ireland. Interest rates are RIDICULOUSLY low at the moment and they will but them up to a more 'normal' level of 4-5% at some stage. The big fear for everyone in ireland is that interest rates will go up when our economy is still buggered. My advice is just be aware that interest rates will go up not that long after you go to oz so budget for it.

Hi Cuba,

That is a good point to budget for interest rate hikes but I think it is also worth mentioning the point that if one goes onto a fixed rate, (which are also relatively low), they could be facing a significant penalty if (when) they sell their house prior to the fixed rate contract expires.

K

Hi Karlom and cuba267,

Thanks for your above posts, all points to be taken into consideration!! I think you are very right that the interest rates will go up before this country recovers, as I dont see us recovering the 500,000 jobs that have been lost, so recovery will be a number of years.

I think I need to get an up to date valuation of the house and how much it would rent for in present climate. My BIL got a 3 year interest only mortgage. I am exploring this route but it depends on the equity we have in the house. That way, I could overpay for the next year and have a surplus built up. My hubbie built the house himself and did alot of the work so we were in a good position equity wise, but now need to get current figures!! Also house in not in a town (easier to rent) but a few miles outside, more of a luxury detached house, so harder to rent I would imagine.

We are only starting the visa process so we have time on our side.

We would prefer to sell, and have a deposit for a house in Perth. Also noting prices in Perth have gone down (but they were too high anyway!!) so that gives us a bit of flexibility.

Lots of factors to consider!!! Thanks for the heads up guys.

Cheers

Caz ...... only at skills assessment point yet!

Guest cuba267

Can i ask a question? Seeing as Oz is in a technical recession at the moment (but not even in the same league as ireland), if you got ur visa in the morning would you go or wait until the oz economy picks up? My OH is an architect (i picked well, didn't I? not a recession proof job like a doctor or a dentist... oh no, an architect...first jobs to go!) and she may struggle to find an architects job in oz. But thats the choice we may be facing.

Guest shirley v

hi cuba,thats a good question its hard to know exactly what you would do when your back is against the wall and its crunch time,make or break decision,do i stay or do i go.were in a ok position dont owe much on the house but what if you sell here,buy over there and things dont work out , i would not like to come home with my tail between my legs cos thats what it would feel like. to another house and some stranger in your old one and wishing you never left in the first place.it is a really hard one to call isnt it? were going to continue with the process and hope for the best what else can you do ?

Can i ask a question? Seeing as Oz is in a technical recession at the moment (but not even in the same league as ireland), if you got ur visa in the morning would you go or wait until the oz economy picks up

Good question. Well my hubbie is a cabinetmaker, has gone from self employed to paye, had 2 paycuts and so we are in limbo. His boss said the other day, if we can get through the next couple of months, we will be OK. So while I think, at least he has a job here, it could be gone at any point. We do have work contacts in Perth, who are actively sussing out work. It went from come on over, to things are very quiet, to work coming up now"!!

While I would love to go tommorrow, for our childrens sake (will have 3 in July) it might be a blessing to have to wait until next year for things to stabilise (hopefully).

If I didnt have children, I would be off like a shot!!!! Husband says he would go tommorrow.

I worked in Perth 10 years ago for an oil and gas company (secretarial) - it was great money, great work life, great social life, lots of engineering work. Project I was working on was worth 9 billion!! - best job I ever had.

I dont want to jump too early and have to come back. That said, I know several people that have gone over, and they are in work within a 2-3 week period. One did say that they are working but its all bits and pieces and nothing permanent.

Its a decision to be made with the head and not heart!!! We'll get there in the end.

Anyway, Im on skype to my friends in Perth keeping up to date!!!!

Cheers

Caz

Guest cuba267

We've got three kids too (6, 3 and 1) but that wouldn't slow us down. In fact, i really want to show them that life is about taking risks. So i'm not worried about failing, coming back with tails between the legs. The only thing i'm worried about is the timing - when to go (if we get a visa). Do we take a chance and go as soon as visa is in or wait 6 months for things to improve (and yep, you read that right, its time to be a stay at home dad for a while and send the mrs off to work!).

Guest Samfire
Hi Cuba,

That is a good point to budget for interest rate hikes but I think it is also worth mentioning the point that if one goes onto a fixed rate, (which are also relatively low), they could be facing a significant penalty if (when) they sell their house prior to the fixed rate contract expires.

K

Excellent Point Karlom, as this actually happened to us 14 years ago - I was 20 when I bought my first house, and fixed in for 10 years because rates were so high! We sold 3 years later and the bank wanted us to pay the remaining 7 years interest rate to them at 9.5% (rate at the time). We got out of it, thanks to the help of our solicitor, but this is not always possible. It was only because of my age and the fact that I signed a lot of the documents on my own that helped me to argue my case at the time. So to all of you out there, beware of fixing in for long periods of time! 3 years is enough, me thinks!!!!!

Cheers,

Our kids are 5, 20 months, and one due end of July, so I couldnt go tommorrow if I wanted!!!:smile: Some family members have tried to put me off, saying it wont be the same now, and you have children to think off. They just go all quiet when I mention oz!!! Wild horses wouldnt stop me now, but we have no choice but to wait until we have a visa which will be 12 months, so we are just hoping things will have improved. There is no harm in waiting 6 months if need be, as its a big move and I dont plan on coming back.

My hubbie says if he cant get work he will send me out!!! Thats fine by me, if I get back working in the same field, its great money. We are very flexible. When we were there last, my husband was waiting for work to start (planning permission) for 3 weeks, so he took a job working in a restaurant, his boss owned it but was embarassed suggesting it, but we had no money. He took it, and didnt hesitate, he got great respect from his boss who went on to sponsor us. He said he liked grafters.

We also need time to save or release money from our house (sell/rent). All presently being looked into.

Anyway unless we get this skills assessment sorted, we wont be going anywhere!!

Good luck with your plans. Trying to guess the timing of the move, is like trying to guess the bottom of the housing market to buy, noone knows for sure.

We have planned for 12 months, hoping to have a visa by then, as I dont want to wait much longer. So using the waiting time to get organised.

It was alot easier, when all I had to worry about was packing the backpack!!

Cheers

Caz

Guest cuba267

While i'm thrilled that loads of people seem to be getting their visas at the moment i'd really appreciate if my CO looked at our file. Come on, give it a peek, ah go on, go on, go on.....

Hi myself and my husband are Irish. waiting for 457 approval, started the process last august. Heading for Mandurah near Perth (hopefully). Starting to worry now with all the changes in requirements. Alas no point stressing!!!

Guest cuba267
Hi myself and my husband are Irish. waiting for 457 approval, started the process last august. Heading for Mandurah near Perth (hopefully). Starting to worry now with all the changes in requirements. Alas no point stressing!!!

Hi Gracie

Welcome to PIO. No point worrying at all about the changes. The changes could be changed in the meantime and then changed again. Just go along with the ride.

Hi Gracie

Welcome to PIO. No point worrying at all about the changes. The changes could be changed in the meantime and then changed again. Just go along with the ride.

Thanks Cuba267,

Unfortunately My husband is a crane driver which falls into category 5-7!!:sad: So it's not looking good. Hope CO looks at yours soon tho!

Best of Luck

Guest irish ozie gang
Hi,

We live in Co Cork - hubby irish, me - ozzie! Just waiting for the spouse visa to be approved before we ditch the wellies and head to oz for a bit of sunshine!

Good luck to all applying - hang in there.:cool:....

:jiggy:WE GOT OUR SPOUSE VISA!!! See ya all in the sun.......

Guest SunshineSmile

Had to give official congratulations to you both!!!!!!!

Dont forget about us welly wearers back here in sunny old Cork and boy am I looking forward to ditching them for the shades and joining you both for a few beers over in Queensland. Am hot on your heels.. 12 months to go and counting!

Guest shirley v

hi gracie,were looking at heading to mandurah too,really like the look of the place have alot of research done on this area have my heart set on it now, we have all our stuff ready to submit for the TRA so hopefully things will start moving along now,we hope to then apply for state sponsorship,where abouts in eire are you? im from meath

Guest cuba267
:jiggy:WE GOT OUR SPOUSE VISA!!! See ya all in the sun.......

Well done to both of you!

Guest Samfire

Congratulations! It must be true what they say about the luck of the Irish!!!! Hope to be following you soon - just had our meds sent to ASPC last Friday, thus the final countdown begins!!!!

Good luck,

hi gracie,were looking at heading to mandurah too,really like the look of the place have alot of research done on this area have my heart set on it now, we have all our stuff ready to submit for the TRA so hopefully things will start moving along now,we hope to then apply for state sponsorship,where abouts in eire are you? im from meath

Hi shirley,

I'm from Offaly! BIFFO land! LOL! Hope all works out for you guys we're getting it hard at the moment. Might try and go down the road RSMS. Don't know if we're eligible yet tho!

Guest shirley v

hi gracie,i have a friend living in rhode originally from edenderry,i go down there once in a while.we have had it hard from the start too,but they do say its all worth it in the end.i dont like the sound of that rsms we had intended to go on that one to start with but i dont like the " have to leave after 28 days " bit.so we changed to 175 and then to 176 after the oh occupation was taken off the csl.it a bit of a rollercoaster is'nt it!:arghh:

Very Good my Husbands from Rhode - small world! We were weeks away from a 457 but since changes it looks like we have very little option left. I don't even think we'll get a rsms. Really stressing out about it. I think i need to give it a rest! I'm starting to get obsessed!! LOL

Guest cuba267
Very Good my Husbands from Rhode - small world! We were weeks away from a 457 but since changes it looks like we have very little option left. I don't even think we'll get a rsms. Really stressing out about it. I think i need to give it a rest! I'm starting to get obsessed!! LOL

Only 'starting' to get obsessed? Theres a whole world of obsession ahead. I actually don't know what i'm going to do with my time when our co finally makes a decission. If its a grant or a refusal i'll have to find another outlet for my professional obsession. Maybe i could become a stalker.....

Guest shirley v

well all the best gracie i really hope you get it,its a huge amount of time and effort all this so i hope there will be a reward at the end of it for all of us.and yes you really get obessed with it all, i took a break from all this for a few weeks and i have to say it really did me the world of good.keep in touch and let us know how you are getting along ok:hug:

Will do shirley you to!!

hey Cuba if you need a partner in crime for the stalking give me a shout!! We've been at this since last aug! But got married in Sep so i had something to take my mind off it all. Since then i'm literally like a hen with and egg!! LOL i fell like i'm living in a waiting room!! It's soooo crazy. I only found this site last week... IT IS A GOD SEND! Even just to know that there are other people out there going through the same thing. A big thank you to all of ye from my family and friends who were bored to tears listening to me until i joined this form!!! :biglaugh:

Guest cuba267

Well Gracie

The sad thing is i check my email when i get up in the morning to see if my co has made a decission. I get to work and check again (just in case they send their emails after close of business). I then log on to PIO countless times throughout the day. I check email again before coming home and PIO again in the evening. My wife is delighted coz it means i dont have to witter to her all the time. So, please help with a list of famous people i can hound when this is all over.

PS If anyone can find my life as was before all this visa business please send it back in the post to me. I'm sure I left it around somewhere. Look out for it Gracie!!

Archived