anyone in here emmigrating from rep of ireland???

Guest shirley v

Hi

We decided to stick out the 175 on the same exact reasons that you have said.

I would hate now to leave a good job, spend so much money on moving over that we have saved and then find out when we get there cannot get a job and have to spend the rest of our money getting home.

At least on a 175 you can try out different areas for jobs and have a wider range not just the one.

The diac have said they may start looking at applicants in july (fingers crossed) I defently think you should at least wait untill then to decide

hi guys,

we are in the same boat at Julie & Gary, we applied for a 175 MODL in Aug last year, got a request from our agent (not co) to get our medicals done (over €500:err:) then got taken off the list for CSL - dp is a carpenter. So our choices at the moment are apply for ss which I really don't want to do or hang on and see if we have to fork out another 500 in Feb which is when ours run out. I'm so feckin mad with our agent. She then had the cheek to ask me for another €500 to fill in the state forms - which for Qld are abour 10 pages. Im not sure about ss because what if we turn up in Qld and there are no jobs but they are screaming for people in WA, I really don't want to put my family in that position. Its just so hard to know what to do. I'm thinking I might wait until Sept and if I have no visa by then apply for ss and see what happens.

I still have my house to sell but its just galling me the thought of repaying for the medicals :no:

Anyway rant over (sorry lads!!)

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Off to the Sun

yes I think waiting until after the end of the tax year is probably the best idea, I just have a horrible feeling that the goal posts will be moved again and we'll be at the end of another list - its just soo frustrating.

I can't really go anywhere until the house is gone anyway but just seeing people get their visas that have the same skills as us and only put their applications in this year is pissing me off.....god I'm a grumpy cow today. :skeptical:

Guest cuba267

Hi

With state sponsorship its my understanding (and i could well be wrong) that you only have to show a genuine intention of settling in your chosen state for the first two years-don't think you're compelled to stay. In any event, at least in VIC, apparently they send you out a questionaire twice a year just to see you you're getting on. So, i'd look into that a bit more gary. But hey, ask my wife, i've been known to be wrong before.

Guest cuba267
Hi Karl

weve gone for a 175 applied for it back in aug 08, was allocated a case officer in march who requested or meds and police checks then the changes happened with the csl.

Weve decided to stick to this route and wait untill july untill the diac start looking at them again.

Were going to brisbane, carnt wait to get there now.

were in Dublin are you from?

Im from firhouse

I'm shocked at that. Was always under the impression that a CO would honour an application form especially if he/she went ahead and asked you to incur more expenses re pc's and meds. Thats really poor order if they dont honour your application, changes in the CSL or not. And, if they wont honour it, they should give you a refund, at least for the pc's and meds. I know they wont, but they should.

yes I think waiting until after the end of the tax year is probably the best idea, I just have a horrible feeling that the goal posts will be moved again and we'll be at the end of another list - its just soo frustrating.

I can't really go anywhere until the house is gone anyway but just seeing people get their visas that have the same skills as us and only put their applications in this year is pissing me off.....god I'm a grumpy cow today. :skeptical:

I totaly understand your frustration, somtimes I think that we will never get there.

If we did change over on the ss we would be right at the back of the list and paying more money just to change.

It would be so much betterif we just had an idear...any idear of how long!!!

Guest Off to the Sun
I'm shocked at that. Was always under the impression that a CO would honour an application form especially if he/she went ahead and asked you to incur more expenses re pc's and meds. Thats really poor order if they dont honour your application, changes in the CSL or not. And, if they wont honour it, they should give you a refund, at least for the pc's and meds. I know they wont, but they should.

I've read of that happening to a few people, one guy (he may post on this site) was days away from the grant and the csl changed so it was basically bye bye - this is a absolute disgrace. I haven't had it out with my agent yet because there is still time for us to get the visa and get out and validate before Feb, but then again we have to have flights booked to validate before the medicals expire (or redo them) and if we leave it till last minute it could get very expensive - rock and hard place but hey ho we'll get there in the end:laugh:

Guest Taytoconnorrs

Heading from Dublin to Sydney on 24th September on a subclass 309 visa. Tickets are booked. The wife's from North Bondi. Very very excited. I lived in Perth for a year and only spent a xmas in Sydney - but what a great xmas it was.

Wooooooooooo hoooooooo!

Best of luck to everyone applying for a visa.

Tayto

Guest Samfire

Hi Cuba, know the feeling! It's one load of ****e after another here! My family are devastated at the thought of us moving, and I am desperately trying to control my joy and excitement out of consideration for their feelings (sure I'll miss them, but not enough to keep me in this hole). I'm actually beginning to think that I must already be dead and in hell for some serious misdeed in my previous life! Ireland has to be one of the ****tiest non-third world countries on the planet! Sorry to all you Patriots out there, it's just my opinion! When I hit Oz, I won't be looking back!!!!! Just did our medicals today! All done and dusted - just sit back and await the outcome.

Guest cuba267
Hi Cuba, know the feeling! It's one load of ****e after another here! My family are devastated at the thought of us moving, and I am desperately trying to control my joy and excitement out of consideration for their feelings (sure I'll miss them, but not enough to keep me in this hole). I'm actually beginning to think that I must already be dead and in hell for some serious misdeed in my previous life! Ireland has to be one of the ****tiest non-third world countries on the planet! Sorry to all you Patriots out there, it's just my opinion! When I hit Oz, I won't be looking back!!!!! Just did our medicals today! All done and dusted - just sit back and await the outcome.

Know exactly what you mean. I've heard enough of the patriot nonsense...'tis with o'leary in the grave' as far as i'm concerned. you only get one life, average age is 75, so i reckon i've got 40 years left and i really dont want to spend the majority of that paying off this country's bad debts. Selfish, yep. But i'd like my kids to grow up in a positive optimistic country.

(oooh i really hope i get this visa...)

Guest Samfire
Know exactly what you mean. I've heard enough of the patriot nonsense...'tis with o'leary in the grave' as far as i'm concerned. you only get one life, average age is 75, so i reckon i've got 40 years left and i really dont want to spend the majority of that paying off this country's bad debts. Selfish, yep. But i'd like my kids to grow up in a positive optimistic country.

(oooh i really hope i get this visa...)

Well said! I hope you get your visa an' all! Best of luck with it.

Guest IrishOzHopeful

Hi All!!

I cant believe there r so many Irish people on here! Its great!

Any of u guys headin to Perth r surrounds?

We're hopin 2 get out there sometime late this year so here's to bbq's, beaches, and beautiful sunshine! :)

Congrats to all who are lucky enough to b out there and good luck to all of us who are still dreaming!!!!

Hi everyone,

Well I just cant wait to move to Perth (lived there for 3 years about 10 years ago - best time in my life). Great jobs, great money, great lifestyle, great weather, great people, no worries mate!!

Came back to Ireland, started businesses and have struggled every since. Nearly died last year in one of our dirty hospital after section got MRSA! Then hubbie had to give up his business due to feckers not paying him, bouncin cheques etc. Now he works for someone else and they have cut his wages twice, so scrapping by. Trying to restructure loans with bank so my family can actually eat!! They treat you like something stuck to their shoe.

Ireland has failed us, and enough is enough.

My family dont want us going either, and same here cant contain my excitement about getting back there, though I never really got over my love affair with PERTH!!!

When I told a few friends I was planning on emmigrating they said "about time, you deserve it, you have had a terrible time of it.

Fedup of all this misery and negativity. I just thrived in Oz, they are just optimist. I hope by the time we get over there that the recession will be a distant memory. It will be 12 months at least. We have a baby on the way, house to sell etc, so we will need that time anyway.

If I can help anyone, just ask as I have friends in Perth.

Cheers

Caz (38) Padraig (39) Melissa (5) Jake (20 months) and bump (due end of July)

Hi Clare,

Just got back from OZ NSW been visiting my daughter and family, know what you mean about Ireland, got back to rain as usual.Best of luck with your move, we are hoping to go there to live dependant upon selling our house in Roscommon of course. We are retired and it will cost loads of money for our visa's, but I reckon it will be worth it Ireland is going to the dogs, government is a nightmare and the weather worse. Our daughter moved there from England last November with himself and 2 girls 5 and 6 yrs they love it, both got jobs and moving into a new house next month, they think its paradise.

Ann and Roy 64 and 65 soaking wet and fed up and missing the sun.

Hi everyone,

Well I just cant wait to move to Perth (lived there for 3 years about 10 years ago - best time in my life). Great jobs, great money, great lifestyle, great weather, great people, no worries mate!!

Came back to Ireland, started businesses and have struggled every since. Nearly died last year in one of our dirty hospital after section got MRSA! Then hubbie had to give up his business due to feckers not paying him, bouncin cheques etc. Now he works for someone else and they have cut his wages twice, so scrapping by. Trying to restructure loans with bank so my family can actually eat!! They treat you like something stuck to their shoe.

Ireland has failed us, and enough is enough.

My family dont want us going either, and same here cant contain my excitement about getting back there, though I never really got over my love affair with PERTH!!!

When I told a few friends I was planning on emmigrating they said "about time, you deserve it, you have had a terrible time of it.

Fedup of all this misery and negativity. I just thrived in Oz, they are just optimist. I hope by the time we get over there that the recession will be a distant memory. It will be 12 months at least. We have a baby on the way, house to sell etc, so we will need that time anyway.

If I can help anyone, just ask as I have friends in Perth.

Cheers

Caz (38) Padraig (39) Melissa (5) Jake (20 months) and bump (due end of July)

Hi Caz,

I agree with you totally!!!

I lived in Sydney for a year over 14 years ago and I still miss it, it was by far the best period of my life. Since then I have constantly pined to return, my life has changed over the years: moved out of home, got married, had a child etc and still the yearning for Australia has not dimmed in the slightest since the day I left Sydney. Whilst my wife has not been to Oz she has agreed that we will go for a year and see how we get on. We have NSW SS (176) visa in at the moment...fingers crossed.

I love being Irish but I would have no problem if I left here and only returned now and then for holidays. I would be happy to grow old in Oz with the laid back, wonderful lifestyle, great weather and good standard of living.

I know the grass is not always greener on the other side and every country has it's pros and cons but by far I would rather the cons of oz than the very few pros of Ireland!

Cheers

Karl

Guest SunshineSmile

HI ALL FROM SUNNY CORK. NOT. :no:

Can anyone of ye recommend someone I can talk to re advice on visa applications. I have a lot of complicated variables in circumstances and need someone who can help me pinpoint the best visa to go for. Up to now Im going in circles :arghh:

It seems that all the migration experts want to charge for this initial advice?

I am so frustrated at this point and like the rest of us on PIO, (especially those of us stuck in sunny Ireland!) I JUST WANT TO LEAVE!!!

Thanks so much guys, I really need help on this one

Hi Karl,

I am proud to be irish, as I think we are a very intelligent nation and have a great sense of humour (yes smart, irish people are very well educated in my experience) but our government has swandered a 15 year boom and now are running us into the ground! In Oz they are actually stimulating the economy by helping families but here they are hitting those with children. They dont support those who are self starters either. Those that have created employment and created business, who have found themselves out of work, are not entitled to what everyone else is Jobseekers Benefit, surely they have contributed enough to warrant that. No sit on your arse and it will be handed to you.!!!! Thats my slant on it, but I say it straight. Maybe that is why I love the auzzies, straight talkers and triers.

No one will be surprised when we announce we are going!!!! hopefully.

I have had it said to me, oh it wont be the same, you have children now, well I think its a great way of life for children. I wasnt just there for a holiday, but spent 3 years there, so I know what Im going to. My hubbie is the home bird, but he's had enough.

Anway, I keep myself upbeat by talking to friends in Perth by Skype (just new to this, and Im like a child!!!) researching cost of living which has increased big time, housing etc. We lived in Sydney for 3 months and found it far more expensive than Perth at the time, but I hear Perth is catching up.

We are just doing the skills assessment and then SS with WA, hopefully they wont take cabinetmakers off the list anytime soon.

I have also been keeping in contact with a few irish from irishozforum who have been great to post and let us know about settling in, job situation and childcare. You can claim for your childcare costs in your tax return at the end of year over there, here tough!! A galway couple moved over in Jan and were both working within 3 weeks.

Just cant wait to go, but have to learn some patient!!!! me thinks!!!

Cheers

Caz

Hi Karl,

I am proud to be irish, as I think we are a very intelligent nation and have a great sense of humour (yes smart, irish people are very well educated in my experience) but our government has swandered a 15 year boom and now are running us into the ground! In Oz they are actually stimulating the economy by helping families but here they are hitting those with children. They dont support those who are self starters either. Those that have created employment and created business, who have found themselves out of work, are not entitled to what everyone else is Jobseekers Benefit, surely they have contributed enough to warrant that. No sit on your arse and it will be handed to you.!!!! Thats my slant on it, but I say it straight. Maybe that is why I love the auzzies, straight talkers and triers.

No one will be surprised when we announce we are going!!!! hopefully.

I have had it said to me, oh it wont be the same, you have children now, well I think its a great way of life for children. I wasnt just there for a holiday, but spent 3 years there, so I know what Im going to. My hubbie is the home bird, but he's had enough.

Anway, I keep myself upbeat by talking to friends in Perth by Skype (just new to this, and Im like a child!!!) researching cost of living which has increased big time, housing etc. We lived in Sydney for 3 months and found it far more expensive than Perth at the time, but I hear Perth is catching up.

We are just doing the skills assessment and then SS with WA, hopefully they wont take cabinetmakers off the list anytime soon.

I have also been keeping in contact with a few irish from irishozforum who have been great to post and let us know about settling in, job situation and childcare. You can claim for your childcare costs in your tax return at the end of year over there, here tough!! A galway couple moved over in Jan and were both working within 3 weeks.

Just cant wait to go, but have to learn some patient!!!! me thinks!!!

Cheers

Caz

You are right Caz, I am just hoping my wife likes it as much as me and doesnt want to come home after a year...but I dont think so as we both want the best for our little girl and love warm weather, big houses etc. We would love Perth, but i think it would be too hot for us.

If we had the choice we would pick Melbourne but we can only apply for NSW SS......I would rather be in Sydney thinking of Melbourne than in Ireland thinking of Australia!!

We intend to rent our house and then sell up after a year , all going well.

cheers

KArl

Hi Karl,

We are undecided whether to rent or sell. My BIL saying dont sell at the bottom of the market, so Ive been looking at refinancing and interest only. If we could go interest only for a couple of years, it would free up alot of money per month until we go to save for the move and the rent would cover the mortgage when we go. Have a financial adviser looking into it for me, as my brain hurts!!!

We were in Melbourne in April/may time so it was coming into the winter, so it was raining when we arrived. Thought the city was lovely and loved the trams. We had friends in Sydney so didnt stay long. Loved Sydney but found it expensive, but we were young and did the usual partying. Wasnt as lucky for work for us as Perth for whatever reason. Travelled up the east coast and it was FAB!!

I dont know many people who dont like Oz, some miss their families too much. I hate taking the kids from their cousins and grandparents but its for a better life in my opinion, and they will have happier parents!!

Heres hoping I dont catch anything in hospital this time around and get to realise our dream of going back to Oz.

It seems a long way off when I want to go tommorrow, to all good things come to those who wait!!!!

Hope your state sponsorship is successful, as I read they are not processing any 175 for the immediate future. Better get the skates on for the 176 before that changes too.

I was hoping to be over there for Paddy's Day but dont think so now. Still whenever, as we are thinking long term.

Let us know how the sponsorship goes.

Cheers

Caz

Guest asrais

Hi all

We're from Dublin (Tallaght). Just arrived in Brisbane a week ago on working holiday visas, got our 176 granted on Tuesday for SA. Heading to Adelaide in three weeks.

Anyone else heading that way?

Guest cuba267
HI ALL FROM SUNNY CORK. NOT. :no:

Can anyone of ye recommend someone I can talk to re advice on visa applications. I have a lot of complicated variables in circumstances and need someone who can help me pinpoint the best visa to go for. Up to now Im going in circles :arghh:

It seems that all the migration experts want to charge for this initial advice?

I am so frustrated at this point and like the rest of us on PIO, (especially those of us stuck in sunny Ireland!) I JUST WANT TO LEAVE!!!

Thanks so much guys, I really need help on this one

Try contact Alan Collett here in PIO - he's an agent but seems decent (that sounds bad, doesnt it). Or start a thread or two with any question you have.

Guest cuba267
Hi Karl,

We are undecided whether to rent or sell. My BIL saying dont sell at the bottom of the market, so Ive been looking at refinancing and interest only. If we could go interest only for a couple of years, it would free up alot of money per month until we go to save for the move and the rent would cover the mortgage when we go. Have a financial adviser looking into it for me, as my brain hurts!!!

We were in Melbourne in April/may time so it was coming into the winter, so it was raining when we arrived. Thought the city was lovely and loved the trams. We had friends in Sydney so didnt stay long. Loved Sydney but found it expensive, but we were young and did the usual partying. Wasnt as lucky for work for us as Perth for whatever reason. Travelled up the east coast and it was FAB!!

I dont know many people who dont like Oz, some miss their families too much. I hate taking the kids from their cousins and grandparents but its for a better life in my opinion, and they will have happier parents!!

Heres hoping I dont catch anything in hospital this time around and get to realise our dream of going back to Oz.

It seems a long way off when I want to go tommorrow, to all good things come to those who wait!!!!

Hope your state sponsorship is successful, as I read they are not processing any 175 for the immediate future. Better get the skates on for the 176 before that changes too.

I was hoping to be over there for Paddy's Day but dont think so now. Still whenever, as we are thinking long term.

Let us know how the sponsorship goes.

Cheers

Caz

Hi Caz

Fair enough with renting your house out here for a bit while you're in oz. But be careful. The European Central Bank sets our interest rates and they set the interest rates mostly by how well the two biggest economies in Europe are doing - Germany and France. Both of these countries (especially Germany) will storm out of this recession much quicker than Ireland. Interest rates are RIDICULOUSLY low at the moment and they will but them up to a more 'normal' level of 4-5% at some stage. The big fear for everyone in ireland is that interest rates will go up when our economy is still buggered. My advice is just be aware that interest rates will go up not that long after you go to oz so budget for it.

Guest cuba267

i genuinely never believed there would be so much waiting involved in this whole visa lark.........

Archived