Prospective Marriage Visa - applied today

Guest kel0x

Guest Katc78

Thanks heaps AusSaus - yeah, I have been reading through this thread today actually, most useful info!

Yeesh, you must be patient, I'd be climbing the walls after waiting that long... but I guess it's a distinct possibility for me too!

Well that's the thing about the stupid doc, we'd heard applications go faster if you frontload, so that's why Andrew rang the doc, and then they were like, no, under no circumstances would we do it unless you've already submitted the app... what the?! Must sus out another approved doc I think.

Great tip about the stat decs - I've worked in government (both Aus and UK) for about seven years now and so used to bureaucracy and the way things worked, which meant I somehow had it in my head that stat decs from relatives wouldn't count, like they're too biased or something! Not true at all of course - must get both our mums to do one, then gotta think of another friend. Do friends have to be Aussies or doesn't it matter?

I can't believe they asked for more evidence you're getting married when you've given them the NOIM - what more can you do?! We'll be screwed if they ask for more on that front because, like you, we haven't put any fixed plans into place other than the celebrant. I think I'll just get the people writing the stat decs to mention the wedding, that'll add weight.

We've had a joint bank account since last Oct, lease in both names, bills in both names, that should sort the finance side... I'll print out my Aus bank statements I guess...

Thanks also for the photo tip - hadn't thought about how to print them. As for our declarations, it's so weird! I'm a writer, so it's easy for me to just rabbit on about everything, but Andrew's finding it a struggle to write more than a couple of lines without feeling either soppy or fake. Aah well, we'll get there...

Thanks for all the advice and I'll keep posting updates, esp once we actually submit the bloody thing!! :eek:

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest AusSaus

Ahh, we've had issues with the UK Police check. Went to the resolutions department, hopefully sorted now and I'll post something positive here soon. Mostly our fault but...

I know what you mean about bureaucracy, weird to say but you have to dumb it down and just make sure you meet the criteria as listed on the app. Our solicitor said that the request for more proof was just a standard question they shoot at some people, deal with it. A difficult question to answer when you've been separated for some time and are planning a wedding on the fly. I managed to get some written quotes, scanned or electronic and email them to our case manager within a week, but..even so, I received no acknowledgment of receipt, ie. that is sufficient, or not. Nothing. It's as if I sent them to air.

In addition to the family members stat decs, our solicitor said to reject the ones that didn't mention the nuptials/engagement in some form. I went to him with about 8 stat decs and he picked 4 for submisssion. They were the ones which crowed on about the engagement. No mean feat when most of your friends are anti monogamy.

Same with the UK Police check. We had to provide further proof of the boy's permanent residential address, in the end confirmation of his permanent Australian address. All scanned and emailed yet no acknowledgment of the email or its contents. Because they stuffed us around so much they said they'll send it direct to Australia House. I cross my fingers and toes.

I know from previous experience with other visas, they can just say 'NO' because you got a single document wrong. There is no onus on them to bring it to your attention and they can reject the application for the simplest reason. Knowing this horrifies me because it has already happened to us and we were devastated as we thought that application would be approved no probs.

Thankfully, on this thread at least, nobody seems to have been refused.

I recommend front loading because if you are separated for more than half a year without knowing how things will work out. Gahhh! What a stressful situation. As close as we are to each other, we are struggling with the not knowing. If you can stay together physically while it gets processed it will make it much easier to cope with....

Good luck to you and to everyone contemplating this course of action x

Guest Katc78

Well yeah, we are worried about the UK police check because Andrew's has stuff on it from ages ago which they might think sounds a bit dodgy but hey, what can you do...

No idea what we'll do if they ask for more proof of the wedding... I can print out all my emails back and forth to friends discussing it! ha ha Hopefully all the stat decs will mention the wedding etc, no reason why we can't tell people to mention it when they write out the thing I suppose.

That's really disappointing that they don't even acknowledge it when you've sent further docs. Even some kind of automated reply would be better than nothing!

I knew they could reject visas for one tiny thing too - I used to work assessing applications for remission of government student loan debts and it was the same thing there, one thing missing, nuh, you're denied!

Thankfully I'm managing to stay here in the UK, because of my dual citizenship, so we can at least wait it out together. I can't imagine how bad it must be to be apart during this time!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Nadjez

hellooo everyone, i know this thread hasn't been used for a while but just thought i should inform u that i fianlly sent off prospective mariage visa application today!!! how long has it taken me to send the blimmint hing hehe. so fingers crossed!!!

Guest neal25

well if it helps everyone i am still waiting. Since i last came on we have been asked for more info and that was over 7 weeks ago. Been nearly 5 and half months now and i getting really fed up. good luck to all

Guest Demi60

Hi Kelly,

I sent in my completed Prospective Partner visa in 16th March with only the Police check, other evidence such as Notice of Intention to Marry included. Didn't have Medicals done until April & they were then sent off to Australia as my Medical was Graded "B". I had an op when I was a child in Perth.

My visa was granted on the 1st July 2009.

I'm sure will get the go head soon, wishing you & your fiance all the best for your future together in Perth, Australia.

LOL,

Demi

PS: I grew up in Perth xoxoxo

Archived