10 years time

Guest Mark and Sharon

Guest Mark and Sharon

As some of you on here know we`ve only been here 3months and are finding it very difficult to get work and it`s a worry for us and as every day goes by it`s more worring,but the thing that is now going through my head is even if i get work soon will i be happy here in 5/10 years time?and i don`t think i will be.I don`t really want to go back to my "old"life but im not sure that i want my "new"life does anyone else understand what i mean.It`s great the sun and sea life out here but i `m missing my old life style.

Guest proud2beaussie

To be honest I have always lived one day at a time and whilst I understand and sympathise with your thoughts and views I wouldn't be worrying about what could happen in 5 or 10 years time as

anything could happen between now and then,I'm not being morbid here,and please accept this in the spirit that it's meant,but you could be run over by a bus tomorrow.(I sincerely hope you're NOT BTW !) I know that being in a new country with new people and not being able to find employment is streesfull,but I just think you need to focus on trying to fix now rather than worrying about tomorrow.

I do wish you good luck with whatever you choose BTW.

Guest Mark and Sharon

Cheers Nigel i`m in a sort of "cant see the woods through the trees"situation we wanted things to work out for us here so much it was all we thought about for years.

Guest proud2beaussie
Cheers Nigel i`m in a sort of "cant see the woods through the trees"situation we wanted things to work out for us here so much it was all we thought about for years.

I understand what you are saying completely,obviously when you invest a lt of time (and not forgetting money !) in moving to a new country you naturally want everything to be perfect,but unfortunately very few things in life generally work perfectly the first time,like when the Wright Brothers built their first plane,they had failure after failure,but they didn't give up,and thanks to them we now have state of the art planes like the A380.

I know how frustrating it must be to have dreamt of a perfect life in a sun drenched country and have a good job and a nice place to live and to have those dreams turn sour,but I hope you stick it out here,there are a lot of good things about Australia and I would like you to give it a go for a bit longer.

But that's just my opinion and I have no right to tell you how to live your life,but I hope you hang around a bit longer.

Cheers

As some of you on here know we`ve only been here 3months and are finding it very difficult to get work and it`s a worry for us and as every day goes by it`s more worring,but the thing that is now going through my head is even if i get work soon will i be happy here in 5/10 years time?and i don`t think i will be.I don`t really want to go back to my "old"life but im not sure that i want my "new"life does anyone else understand what i mean.It`s great the sun and sea life out here but i `m missing my old life style.

hi guys ...can totally sympathise with you ....we were very lucky that o/h landed a job within a few days of getting heer ..otherwise we would be heading home by now ....the thing about the new life is you wont really start to enjoy it until you know you are financially secure and can start living the life so to speak ...hope that makes sense !!! i was terrified to spend anything until o/h got his first wage packet and even then i only got the essentials ....i take one day at a time ...try not to plan to far ahead and try and stay positive ...the way i look at it ..if we were not meant to be here ....we wouldnt have got the visa !!! ...you didnt say whereabouts you are or what o/h does ...maybe some peeps on here can help if you want to let us know

mrs keily

Guest Gunner

I suspect a huge percentage of UK migrants miss at least part of their old lifestyle. Lets face it Aus has some good points but it also has some gaping flaws. I agree with Keily, if you can secure a regular good income things sure start to look brighter, additionally work often leads to new friendships and direction. In 5 years time you may not be able to imagine not being in OZ, who knows?

Give it your best shot, if you can't hold out because of finances, worry, family issues, you can always go back and Britains still the second best country on the planet

I hope you get a break

Pete

I think you have had some great replies with honest advice and i agree with them all, especially Mrs Keily. If you can hang on in there until you secure work you may feel totally different about your future and life in general.

I think its normal to feel alienated, we have had almost every aspect of normality taken away once we step off that plane in Australia and i think its pretty normal to have doubts when everything and everyone surronding you is different to what your used to,Im pretty sure most of us also spend quite abit of time worrying if we have made the right move.

Good Luck with whatever you decide andfingers crossed you secure work soon

Cal x

If you'd have asked me 5 years ago what I'd be doing..... i wouldn't have seen any major changes in my life or job and we'd be visitng Florida again in 2008 when my son was a bit older ... I was happy with all of it ... I couldn't have even imagined moving house .... yet here we are, not only having moved house but moved countries ..... i think it's hard to plan or know how you're going to feel in the future .... concentrate on what you're doing now - the rest will fall into place and what's meant to be will be (wherever you end up).

Good luck with the job hunting ... Keily's right, once you're earning you start to feel more secure

Ali x

Guest hannahf

We have been here since november, OH is on a 457 so we had an income from day one however I soon realised it wasn't for me. I suppose i did exactly what you did and started thinking could i see myself here in 5/10 years time and the answer was no, so we are cutting our losses and going back in may when the contract finishes on our house here and at home. No regrets as it something I have always wanted to do but it has been an eye opener and made me realise home really isn't that bad after all!

Guest treesea

Maybe it would be worth trying somewhere else in Australia rather than going to the expense of moving back so soon? Some places, e.g. Melbourne, Sydney, are easier to find work in than other places like the Gold Coast or the Sunshine Coast.

Maybe it would be worth trying somewhere else in Australia rather than going to the expense of moving back so soon? Some places, e.g. Melbourne, Sydney, are easier to find work in than other places like the Gold Coast or the Sunshine Coast.

I would love to move to the Sunshine or Gold Coast or some other more desirable place than where I ended up living - but knew that I had to work and also knew that the chance of finding work in said lovely places would be quite difficult - so settled for less than lovely place to live and have commuted into Sydney (3 hours per day all up) for the last 10 plus years, however, have been able to buy house, which when I sell to return to UK will generate around $85k to take back with me!!! So guess in long run was worth living in less desirable area!!!

Archived