Australian cheaper to live

kernow43

Guest Scamp1976

1) There's a HUGE difference between NZ and AUS in living costs.

2) This report is bollocks. Houses in AUS are 10 times wages. In UK it's 6 times.

I would like to think that this is true, but like most reports , this one is also a lie.

2) This report is bollocks. Houses in AUS are 10 times wages. In UK it's 6 times.

I would like to think that this is true, but like most reports , this one is also a lie.

Don't hold back, say what you think. It's one thing i like about this forumn the honesty. I think i have to agree with you, the houses where we live are marketed at $400k and they call them starter homes??? now it may be me but that seems a bit rich for a starter unless i am missing something!!

If i earn $1000 pw in Oz to maintain my lifstyle if moving to NZ i need to earn $970 pw, if I move to UK I need to earn $1350 pw So not much difference between Oz and NZ. Also why is Australia so popular with kiwis?

Here in Melbourne you can buy house six times salary say you are on sixty grand there are house out there for three sixty thousand its just that people always want to the new ones for some reason. Not willing to buy smaller and older. Granted they are not near the CBD but they are available.

If you buy fresh food even now its more expensive and cook and leave the tins and prepared food alone its cheaper to live.

Give up the cleaning products for vinegar,lemon juice and ttree oiland save heaps. Better for the environment and work just as well

I think its cheaper here.

If i earn $1000 pw in Oz to maintain my lifstyle if moving to NZ i need to earn $970 pw, if I move to UK I need to earn $1350 pw So not much difference between Oz and NZ. Also why is Australia so popular with kiwis?

'Cos it's better by this much...:hug:

Cheers, Bobj.

Don't hold back, say what you think. It's one thing i like about this forumn the honesty. I think i have to agree with you, the houses where we live are marketed at $400k and they call them starter homes??? now it may be me but that seems a bit rich for a starter unless i am missing something!!

One year's annual expenditure in the UK would last 14 months and one week in Australia and 15 months and three weeks in Spain.[ from a HSBC survey]:jiggy:

Guest slipshot

This is sooo generic it means nothing. Living in London versus living in the middle of nowhere. Living in a Scottish village versus living in Sydney. Means nothing...

From a real and true comparison, we have found that living in the suburbs of Melbourne prices are very similar to living in Warwickshire - houses are more expensive where we are here, and smaller than what we are used to, and food is about the same, furniture more expensive and other stuff cheaper - in general, about the same.

This is sooo generic it means nothing. Living in London versus living in the middle of nowhere. Living in a Scottish village versus living in Sydney. Means nothing...

From a real and true comparison, we have found that living in the suburbs of Melbourne prices are very similar to living in Warwickshire - houses are more expensive where we are here, and smaller than what we are used to, and food is about the same, furniture more expensive and other stuff cheaper - in general, about the same.

Figures from 2007 international house stats give Australian median size 2200 sq feet, UK 800 sq ft

Guest brooksey
One year's annual expenditure in the UK would last 14 months and one week in Australia and 15 months and three weeks in Spain.[ from a HSBC survey]:jiggy:

Yes but you earn twice as much in England in same jobs. So surley that means the actual cost of living taking into wages into account is cheaper in England.

Petrol and meat asside everything is about the same price hear as UK if you look around, but smaller wages.

Beer ,wines and spirits are a lot more expensive here. As are taxis.

You save money on not needing to go on beach holidays and not having gas. Also you save money on going to pubs as there crap ,so you go to friends bbq's instead.

I have to say like for like, housing is a lot cheaper on Gold coast than Sheffield.

Guest ShazNChris

Hi, We will hopefully be in Oz early next year, this stuff really interests me. I have been looking at houses in Perth suburbs and I have to say that comparing some of them to houses in the UK, UK wins. There seems to be more land than house, I know it's Oz but I did think I would have got a better house for my money than what I have saw on the Real Estate sites ??? My budget is £150K (3 Bedrooms) ?

Yes but you earn twice as much in England in same jobs. So surley that means the actual cost of living taking into wages into account is cheaper in England.

Petrol and meat asside everything is about the same price hear as UK if you look around, but smaller wages.

Beer ,wines and spirits are a lot more expensive here. As are taxis.

You save money on not needing to go on beach holidays and not having gas. Also you save money on going to pubs as there crap ,so you go to friends bbq's instead.

I have to say like for like, housing is a lot cheaper on Gold coast than Sheffield.

The average wage for UK in 2008 was 479 pounds pw which is 24,908 ponds per annum

The average wage for Australia in 2008 is $62,556. so I can't see it being double. though it might have been double for your job, but we are talking about averages.

Hi, We will hopefully be in Oz early next year, this stuff really interests me. I have been looking at houses in Perth suburbs and I have to say that comparing some of them to houses in the UK, UK wins. There seems to be more land than house, I know it's Oz but I did think I would have got a better house for my money than what I have saw on the Real Estate sites ??? My budget is £150K (3 Bedrooms) ?

Perth is one of the expensive areas for housing. Housing blocks are now a lot smaller than they used to be, it was quite common for a block to be 700 sq metres now about 400-500 sq metres is the norm

Guest brooksey

Carpentry. But i've applied for labouring, shelf stacking and allsorts. I'm praying i can make money building house then at least we won't starve lol.

Guest ShazNChris

Thanks for that, I never knew Perth was one of the expensive places, why ??

Do you know what the average wage of a Diesel fitter (HGV Mechanic), in the UK he can earn £28,000K per year ?

Thanks for that, I never knew Perth was one of the expensive places, why ??

Do you know what the average wage of a Diesel fitter (HGV Mechanic), in the UK he can earn £28,000K per year ?

One of the main reasons would have been the mining boom, which attracted a lot of people and being paid big money, which pushes up the cost of housing and other things. It has slowed down now with the mining,

If you could get work in your area on a mining site it would be more than UK for a normal week.

Guest ShazNChris
One of the main reasons would have been the mining boom, which attracted a lot of people and being paid big money, which pushes up the cost of housing and other things. It has slowed down now with the mining,

If you could get work in your area on a mining site it would be more than UK for a normal week.

What kind of weekly money can you earn in mining ?

Archived