Australian cheaper to live

kernow43

What kind of weekly money can you earn in mining ?

I have a family friend who works as a self employed welder going from one site to another doing small jobs earning $250000 pa. Last year there was adverts for electrician and plumbers in Queensland earning $1200 per day. I have worked for a short time painting on mining sites and earning $3800 per week. Alsa things have changed in the past year. Have a look at careerone.com.au

Guest proud2beaussie

Perth is an expensive city because of the vast distance it is away from the other cities and therefore the cost of transporting food etc is high .

That's a simplistic answer but it covers the basics.

The average wage of a disel fitter in Australia varies according to experience but someone with around 4 years experience after qualifying would earn approximately $60,000 (£29,000) and if employed in the mining industry could get up to $100,000 (£48,000).

Those figures are from October 2008.

Thanks for that, I never knew Perth was one of the expensive places, why ??

Do you know what the average wage of a Diesel fitter (HGV Mechanic), in the UK he can earn £28,000K per year ?

Hubby is a diesel fitter on The Gold Coast, he earns approx $850 for a 4 day week (mon -thurs) and has a company vehicle with fuel paid for and a mobile phone for both business and private use.

You do get more money in the mines, although the mines are slowing and job vacancies are in very short supply at the mo, the downside to the mines is it either means being apart from family (FIFO) or the whole family living in a more isolated area/ mining community.

hope this helps a bit

Cal x

Hubby is a diesel fitter on The Gold Coast, he earns approx $850 for a 4 day week (mon -thurs) and has a company vehicle with fuel paid for and a mobile phone for both business and private use.

You do get more money in the mines, although the mines are slowing and job vacancies are in very short supply at the mo, the downside to the mines is it either means being apart from family (FIFO) or the whole family living in a more isolated area/ mining community.

hope this helps a bit

Cal x

is that $850 pw gross or net Cal

Guest proud2beaussie

I think that salary and wage rates can vary enormously depending on how desperate the employer is,take being a chef for example,If I was to apply for a job as a head chef in a local restaurant in Albury I would probably be earning about $700.00 a week after tax,yet if I was to apply to a top restaurant on the harbour in Sydney I wouldn't do it for less than about $1200.00 after tax because of the higher living costs in Sydney.

I think that salary and wage rates can vary enormously depending on how desperate the employer is,take being a chef for example,If I was to apply for a job as a head chef in a local restaurant in Albury I would probably be earning about $700.00 a week after tax,yet if I was to apply to a top restaurant on the harbour in Sydney I wouldn't do it for less than about $1200.00 after tax because of the higher living costs in Sydney.

I know what you mean Nigel, but the Gold Coast is not a cheap area! I suppose it comes down to what you want, I have always chased money, from the outback to Kuwait & Indonesia.

Guest proud2beaussie
I know what you mean Nigel, but the Gold Coast is not a cheap area!

That's a very valid point,and one that I hadn't considered.

that doesn't seem much, $27.00 per hour does it

Its a pretty standard wage in QLD for mechanics unless you work after hours, weekends etc.

We are 50 mins inland from his works so things are a tad cheaper. He has been offered more money by other companies but it means moving from Brisbane and we dont really want to do that, plus the Ute with E-Toll and fuel and unlimited calls mobile phone save us quite a few dollars each week. Its only a small company he works for, he has been with them since we came here (near enough)but they are really good guys and flexi with him, if I am flat out or not too well they give him time off to help me out ,they understand we came here for a better life and family comes first, they even got me an E-toll for my car bless em,lol.. As long as we have enough to pay the bills and a little left over for enjoyment we are happy, we gave up chasing the money when we left the UK,lol.

Cal x

Guest JoanneHattersley

Its swings and roundabouts really. Mark earns the same but slightly more hours. I earn the same but do less. We both work every weekend by choice so that we can have days off together in the week. That obviously bumps our money up too. COming here meant the only debt that I had is a mortgage. I also have savings and have managed to do home reno, buy 2 cars etc all outright without adding debt.

As for costs, some things dearer, some things cheaper! Swings and roundabouts!

As long as we have enough to pay the bills and a little left over for enjoyment we are happy, we gave up chasing the money when we left the UK,lol.

Cal x

Best way to be Cal, who needs to be stressing about more cash than you really need when you're living in such stunning surroundings!!!

Guest ShazNChris
what was you hoping to see? I am curious!

That was meant for brooksey not you, your info was extremely interesting and helpful !

Archived