homeward bound

Guest tayella

cheers Nige

ye it does cut deep, feel used and if I wanna change me trade the gvt want more money for Tafe fees, sorry boys u aint getting any more off me, in fact YOU should be helping me climb out of your false economy.

Just being honest again.

Totally agree that they should be helping us and we shouldnt be paying any more, this thought went over and over in our minds and it really sucks that someone that has done the jobs 15 years has to go to TAFE :no:

Anyway we reluctantly (after being really p'd off) contacted the TAFE, they have said that we may not have to do the whole course (aint that kind of em), we had to submit all paperwork (same stuff we submitted to TRA) and they are now in the process of assessing the oh to see what he has to do now - Lets hope its not the whole course.

Yep we relented as thought we had came this far, we may as well carry on - but understand your point of view too

Good Luck

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Firstly, I want you! :hug:

Secondly....no, I have just erased a whole lot of 'been there, been that' 'cos I was even beginning to bore myself!

So, and best wishes to you all.

LC

:biglaugh: No Mrs LC you shouldnt have deleted it i'm sure it would have been of interest to us as you made it didnt you and your happy and settled, so if there is a light at the end of the tunnel then please share it with us all!

Thanks for the hug feel a whole lot better now, have decided that I'm going to do a TAFE course in July (if no work comes up by then).

Onwards and upwards x

I think we need to be able to use more of our little emotions as this system only lets us use 2 and there are lots that I feel I need to use LOL

Guest anson aussies

Here Here Kdal,

I have autocad 2d city and guilds, TRA liked the certs, but every firm I showed to said "whats these"?

The back of the tickets are blank.

Should I let the kids have them to draw on?

COMPLETE CONTRADICTIONS between TRA, Tafe, and Employers.

"Ever get the feeling your being cheated"? - John Lydon (AKA Johnny Rotten) Winterland Ballroom, San Francisco 1978

Here Here Kdal,

I have autocad 2d city and guilds, TRA liked the certs, but every firm I showed to said "whats these"?

The back of the tickets are blank.

Should I let the kids have them to draw on?

COMPLETE CONTRADICTIONS between TRA, Tafe, and Employers.

"Ever get the feeling your being cheated"? - John Lydon (AKA Johnny Rotten) Winterland Ballroom, San Francisco 1978

YOu know I reckon we could talk abt this all day but everyone wld prob be well p'd with us:biglaugh:

Now the certificates dont mean jack sh*t yet they would like photos of our work, well how on earth would they know it was our work:wacko: How often (unless your a bathroom fitter of course) would you have taken photos of your work !!! They are barmey , there is no doubt it !

Guest anson aussies

Doh they dont understand.

I made the bolts for the wings for the A380, bet they wouldnt belive me.

Perhaps ill download a few pics of the Empire State and tell the Spanners "I made that", gis a job lol

Doh they dont understand.

Perhaps ill download a few pics of the Empire State and tell the Spanners "I made that", gis a job lol

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: You have to laugh dont ya

Guest guest22466

I feel that people are being mislead on the job front. My brother in law has his city and guilds in air con and ref in the uk and the experience as a very good engineer must I add but when he applied they said that they would only accept engineers in managerial positions ?????So he did not get into Australia uuum Yet the jobs wanted list stated just engineers ???? The immigration dept should advise everyone that you also MAY have to take courses and pay for them as the UK certificates may not be enough. People just dont have the time and the money for all this its hard enough moving let alone trying to convince someone that you have a trade or have ever worked in the UK . A bit of truth from the Immigration Depts would be nice on Jobs and children (the Hague convention laws) just so that we know and are prepared.

Guest London Girl

Hello,

I have been reading through this topic and have to say I can totally relate to a lot of what people are saying on here. I myself have been here just over a year and am terrified about going home and starting again but cant take the expense of living here and lack of work at the moment, it defeats the whole new start concept I had. So it is homeward bound for me too.

I cant say that I will miss Australia though it is not for me.

Guest anson aussies

well said pommy oz and London Girl,

Thats why I firmly believe the whole scenario is a money spinning con, eg "come to Oz where the sun shines and jobs are ten a penny, cheap gaffs blahdy blah blah"

What the real Oz slogan should say is "come to Oz where the sun shines, the gvt will cream you for tafe courses and when the course has finished and you cant get a job and youve spunked ya savings up, have a nice flight home.

Coshy actually did say we are in the R word this morning but it is April fools day after all:wink:.

Perhaps we should organise a "poms sod off home"meet? lol

Guest guest22466

It is such a shame as the skills the english bring into Australia are only to benefit the country of Australia but it is not welcomed once you get here becuase of the red tape. Many from the UK have had to take jobs below their qualifications and education and salary just to have a job to pay the bills while they are here. I know of many tradies who wanted to start their own business here but its just a nightmare to do. Why make it so hard oh yes to get more money out of the newies .........

It is such a shame as the skills the english bring into Australia are only to benefit the country of Australia but it is not welcomed once you get here becuase of the red tape. Many from the UK have had to take jobs below their qualifications and education and salary just to have a job to pay the bills while they are here. I know of many tradies who wanted to start their own business here but its just a nightmare to do. Why make it so hard oh yes to get more money out of the newies .........

Yes that is the position that we are in at the moment. My oh is refrigeration/air-con engineer he goes to work and the fridges that he mends never come back, but all the others fridges come back all the time, yet he is on low pay as hasnt got the licences. It's not on and any boss that is worth their sort would pay the going rate and then in return you would be loyal to them and stay when eventually you do get your licences.

Oh and now the boss is saying that holiday /sick pay is not included either:no:, the job didnt say 'casual' when it was advertised and I thought it said this if there was no holiday pay!

Guest snow white

will it take your hubbie 12 months to get his full licenses? we experienced exactly the same and couldnt get anywhere until oh had full gas licenses he is a plumber gasfitter

lesley x

Hiya Leslie, I'm not sure but I think you were referring to my post if not just ignore me lol

We don't know yet, Daren sent his mountains of paperwork of to them over 2 weeks ago, so that they could assess him , but we have still heard nothing from them.

I hope it's not going to be that long to be honest (although it probably will do), as his job just isnt doing it for him and is desperate to move on.

Ile post on here as soon as we here from TAFE and let you all know how long they say

x

Guest snow white
Hiya Leslie, I'm not sure but I think you were referring to my post if not just ignore me lol

We don't know yet, Daren sent his mountains of paperwork of to them over 2 weeks ago, so that they could assess him , but we have still heard nothing from them.

I hope it's not going to be that long to be honest (although it probably will do), as his job just isnt doing it for him and is desperate to move on.

Ile post on here as soon as we here from TAFE and let you all know how long they say

x

sorry hon

should have been a bit more specific in my post is he currently on provisonal and waiting to get his full license?

it is terrible when you think what our oh have to go through all over again to get their licenses back its just not fair fingers crossed you hear soon hon

lesley x

sorry hon

should have been a bit more specific in my post is he currently on provisonal and waiting to get his full license?

it is terrible when you think what our oh have to go through all over again to get their licenses back its just not fair fingers crossed you hear soon hon

lesley x

Lesley, He isnt even lucky enough to get a provisional, it's abit of a long story but they changed alot of things between I think Sept and December, so all those that just got to Australia on the TRA (literally just before those changes were made) did not automatically get a restricted licence, they picked a few people out at random and when you arrived here they gave you a telephone interview!! It was a nightmare as Daren failed by 5 points - he passed on the electrical side but failed on what he calls classroom words, and just cldnt remember some stuff he was so annoyed with himself. But they dont give you an opportunity to do show them you know what you can do, it's just a test on the telephone. In our opinion this shld have been done whilst we were in the UK,not throw it on us once here. So it was panic stations but the TAFE want him to go for his certificate 3 in engineering, if that makes any sense to you.

I think you will find this happened to the people that were unfortunate enough to pass their TRA just before that started the vetasse thingy.

I have gone on abit abt that, I hope you understand it. I did read one of your posts the other day where you said your husband is doing well now after his year of re-training, that is very refreshing to know.

Onwards and upwards ! Kimx

Oh and just to add that the artik (refrigeration governing body), came into his work place a while back and he told them abt all this, and they didnt even know who ARTC were!! as they were only made up a while ago, they are a bunch of directors from different companies that get together abt 2 or 3 times a week - can you believe that !!

Guest snow white

Lesley, He isnt even lucky enough to get a provisional, it's abit of a long story but they changed alot of things between I think Sept and December, so all those that just got to Australia on the TRA (literally just before those changes were made) did not automatically get a restricted licence, they picked a few people out at random and when you arrived here they gave you a telephone interview!! It was a nightmare as Daren failed by 5 points - he passed on the electrical side but failed on what he calls classroom words, and just cldnt remember some stuff he was so annoyed with himself. But they dont give you an opportunity to do show them you know what you can do, it's just a test on the telephone. In our opinion this shld have been done whilst we were in the UK,not throw it on us once here. So it was panic stations but the TAFE want him to go for his certificate 3 in engineering, if that makes any sense to you.

I think you will find this happened to the people that were unfortunate enough to pass their TRA just before that started the vetasse thingy.

I have gone on abit abt that, I hope you understand it. I did read one of your posts the other day where you said your husband is doing well now after his year of re-training, that is very refreshing to know.

Onwards and upwards ! Kimx

Oh and just to add that the artik (refrigeration governing body), came into his work place a while back and he told them abt all this, and they didnt even know who ARTC were!! as they were only made up a while ago, they are a bunch of directors from different companies that get together abt 2 or 3 times a week - can you believe that !!

yes i can believe that!!!! and i take it your talking about the mechanical engineering level 3, yes i understand and yes i think its a bloody discgracce let me know how things go hon rooting for yuo

lesley x

If he is on casual you dont get sick or holiday pay but should get 20 % o top of the permanent wage. Casual can actualy be more beneficial . When i was cas ,worked out one days pay extra a week 40 houre = 8 hrs extra , so 29 days hols and 10 sickies , = 39 weeks work to pay for those

Mally

Guest barab

I don't think there is any shame in trying Oz and coming back.

Like a lot of people say,and get slated for,it is just life only in another place with sunshine and without family and friends.

There are good points to life in Oz and bad.

Just like Britain.

There is an economic disaster happening globally,and it seems to be hitting Oz just now,so if your struggling their and want to come home then you may struggle here also,although you will have that great feeling of being home,and that counts for a lot in my opinion.

Good on you for trying and all the best for the future.

Barab.

Guest anson aussies

Well said Barab,

No-one really is entitled to slate the poms for leaving its our choice after all. Even if it aint work that makes you leave Oz, it dont flow everyones boat.

Catch ya l8r

Guest treesea

But surely that is the same for migrants everywhere, having to take a lower paid job and do rubbish work just to get established? It's like the Poles and the rest of the EU who have decided to make the UK home. Some of them are well qualified but work for terrible pay for years before they get sufficient contacts to establish themselves. Some don't even get to work in their former profession, for no other reason than not being able to afford to take whatver courses are necessary to validate their qualifications in the UK.

I do think the Aussie government lay it on a bit thick about the opportunities in Australia. Even if there were jobs, most employers will take a local person whose references they can check and where they may know the previous employers personally, rather than take a risk with a migrant who has only just arrived.

What I notice coming back to the UK from Australia is that over here it's not politically correct to employ Brits ahead of non Brits. If you advocate things like that, people treat you like a card carrying member of the BNP. It's more of a meritocracy here - more of a feeling of trying to employ the best person for the job, regardless of where they come from.

In Australia though, it's okay to advocate employing Australians ahead of non Australians, and kind of expected. An attitude more along the lines of "let's take care of our own, and make sure they have jobs, before we start employing the rest of the world." That can make it harder to get established.

Guest anson aussies

Completely true Treesa, I just contradicted myself replying to you and after re-reading ya post realised I goofed bigtime, and edited this post.

If you read it apologies mate.

Your well on the ball with your comment, and taking into account about the ozzies keeping it simple and for themselves how many brits would have moved if that tosser Blair decided to put his own people 1st befor the Poles as you mentioned?

Hmmm

Will we get more honesty on this thread or is some PC do gooder gonna throw his/her 2 bob in to the story.

Great post Treez

Guest barab

I don't really think it matters what nationality you are in any country.

If your qualified for the job you should have the same rights as the next person.

If the Aussie government were giving Aussies first shout at all Aussie jobs then Australia would come to a standstill.

Fortunately they didn't and don't now,giving me and countless others a chance to experience the Wonderfull country that is Australia....

But I still think Britain is miles better!!:wink:

Guest proud2beaussie

I have said before and I will say again,there are some skill shortages in Australia but they are deffo not in fields like Carpentry,Plumbing,Metal Machining (anson's trade?) etc,there are shortages in fields like nursing,etc and there will be for some time to come IMHO.

however I believe the Australian government made an error by not making the changes to the CSL about this time last year when the recession was just starting,If they had done that I don't think we would have so many unhappy,dissillusioned Brits in Australia now who are getting (understandably) angry and upset at not being able to find work,which is after all what they came here for,to work and start a new life.

I feel for these people who have been let down because it is giving my country a bad name .

I will defend Australia against all sorts of accusations if I feel it needs defending,but I cant defend the undefenseable,the government stuffed up and now they should stop running expos till the recession is over and all outstanding applications for visas are filled and people who are here already have jobs.

There are skill shortages here-but they need to be managed better,it's useless having a list like the MODL if there are jobs on it that are no longer short.

just my two cents.

Guest fatpom

Totally agree that they should be helping us and we shouldnt be paying any more, this thought went over and over in our minds and it really sucks that someone that has done the jobs 15 years has to go to TAFE :no:

Its not just migrants who have got caught up in the relatively new requirement for people working with "green house gases" to need a licence.

For instance I was tasked with looking into this a few years ago to see the effect on the business at that time.

The upshot was that some of our most experienced people were going to be required to go back to college before they could get their licence to continue doing their current job.

One bloke who would be recognised as one of Australia's foremost experts on the practical side of domestic refridgeration systems had to go back to college to get an AQF3.

Whatever you might think its been a good thing to start controlling better the storage, use and disposal of "green house gases". If that means further training for for some, well so be it. :smile:

Guest fatpom
I feel that people are being mislead on the job front. My brother in law has his city and guilds in air con and ref in the uk and the experience as a very good engineer must I add but when he applied they said that they would only accept engineers in managerial positions ?????So he did not get into Australia uuum Yet the jobs wanted list stated just engineers ???? The immigration dept should advise everyone that you also MAY have to take courses and pay for them as the UK certificates may not be enough. People just dont have the time and the money for all this its hard enough moving let alone trying to convince someone that you have a trade or have ever worked in the UK . A bit of truth from the Immigration Depts would be nice on Jobs and children (the Hague convention laws) just so that we know and are prepared.

The confusion here is that in Australia you are only called an Engineer if you've done a four year degree in engineering. An Engineer is a professional level job only in Aus, whereas in the UK it can also refer to trades level jobs.

Archived